Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I like Digit and Leon, but it apears that Muppets like them and Uncle Deadly crumble away in some drawer if they haven't proven enough worth to the writers/producers. I really want to see Deadly back in action.
Yeah, let it never be understated that many of the Muppet puppets turn to Skeksis emperor mush over the years due to the materials used. So 1989 era Muppets, where it was a cross between Creature Shop and classic Muppets wouldnt fair to well unless they were reconstructed. I believe Digit was in the 2002 Muppet Cruise game, but it may have been reused footage.

I see Gonzo in Bombay, India directing Camilla in an all chicken Bollywood film. I also like the Scooter as Miss Piggy's assistant thing. It works.
DING! We have a winner. Seriously, I hope some of these ideas are getting to Stoller/Segal:smile: That is just perfect

I could see Bunsen and Beaker working for a google like tech company.

Look a lot has happened since the muppets last... Flip it around to that she's a legitimate huge star and almost impossible to get... They are just scenarios and I think you are wrong - they could do fun stuff with the scenarios of what happened to them along the way. How many blogs have I read where these silly guys are saying the muppets are gone forever, washed up, redundant. So it would be fun to mimic that psychology and then turn it around.
Hey, they should write into the movie: Aint it cool news, blogs, ET/Inside Edition/TMZ, youtube, etc all proclaiming that Piggy is washed up, rumored to be in Rehab. That could definately work

beaker

Reaction score
Gonzo...In space...

OMG...

LOVE. IT.

On the other hand, I do hope they deal with the broken-up Muppets without forcing them into a weird break-up like in Scooby Doo.

I honestly think the Muppets would have naturally moved on anyway, and, looking at Mwoo, they didn't quite seem comfortable with each other...so maybe that's because they had broken up and were forced back together to film it?

-- On the other hand, Muppets.com established them together in a boarding house with an elevator...or at the Muppet studeos...
The Muppets are just actors. When you see the Muppets on tv interviews, thats the Muppets. Muppets.com, TMS, movies, etc is all them "acting"

Still, I guess there is some loose cannon. JP Grosse owns the theatre, is related to Scooter. Piggy and Kermit have an on again off again relationship, as does Gonzo and Camile.

But yeah Im loving muppets.com, especially the elevator sketches

And Rowlf is definitely in it...

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20080401_rogen_is_rolf_in_new_muppet_mo.html

This movie is gettin' lot's o buzz!:sympathy:

I'm kinda scared though about the voices...
*whew* April Fools. No way in heck Stoller or Segal would allow anyone BUT the Muppeteers voice

BUT, I predict Hader, Rogan and Hill will definately be in the film. Which will be schweeeeet.

I just saw this article:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a92956/segel-new-muppets-movie-is-classic.html

Speaking about the movie's plot, he said: "It's a classic story. It's the Muppets needing to get back together to save the show...It's going to take place all over the world.

"Basically, the Muppets are no longer together. So that might take a while to film. I guess they've set the precedent in that last movie that Gonzo is, in fact, an alien, so he could well end up in space."

Talking about possible guest appearances, Segel commented: "Every time I bring it up with somebody - Mila Kunis, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen - they say, 'Oh my god, you're writing me a part'.

"So I don't think there'll be trouble casting. I would love to star in it myself. I think that's the plan, but right now it's just a script deal."

This is funny - because I was originally thinking that he would do something where the muppets are strewn all over the world in various careers and states of being - and that they all have to reconnect and go back to the stage from wence they came. Maybe my premonition was right?
The fan script I was writing in 2002 indeed had to do with the Muppets now completely seperated and in every part of the world, from Egypt to Japan to all over. So this is good.

But an alien? No. Muppets From Space I do not hold as canon, as the whole joke is that noone knows what Gonzo is. If he's an alien, then heck...half the Muppets could be considered aliens.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Yay - beaker - you get what i'm saying... Make it funneee... It can be current and funny. I would laugh if she were washed up. But, we love a comeback - don't we?

beaker

Reaction score
Yay - beaker - you get what i'm saying... Make it funneee... It can be current and funny. I would laugh if she were washed up. But, we love a comeback - don't we?
Oh I get it...and I don't ever like to rag on Kurt and the post 1990 JH writers/directors we've had. But I think in an interesting kind of Kermit-like allegory; the Muppets had lost their voice.

There's the hardliner purist crowd, who is content with the Muppets being known as purely the Muppet Show. They might not even care if the Muppets are shelved, only to live on as Season episodes on TMS dvds. They dislike Pepe, and want things to be stuck in 1977.

There's the Muppet fans who are happy no matter what happens. It could be The Muppets retelling of Aladdin coming out, and they'd rejoice. We could literally have a year where nothing but a tv interview and a calendar happened Muppetwise...and they'd be happy

Then there's the people who will complain no matter what. They can't see the good in any project.

I just to dovetail between all these camps, and I kind of have a new perspective.

I tend to see the Muppets in the way a political historian might;
which is to say more than just a casual fan in how I see the cultural impact, psychology, magic and creativity. I'm the same way with film.
So within this framework, it's my belief that unlike Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Josh Whedon Firefly or JHC's Farscape fandom...
Muppet fandom and fans are pretty underground

There's probably more dedicated Firefly, or Farscape fans then hardcore Muppet fans. How do we change that?

Well the Appatow gang might be the answer I realize...because
let's face it. MOST people see the Muppets as babyish, or pure "hey remember that?" nostalgia. Sure, many youth, college kids to older people have a strong reverence for the Muppets. Some may think they are actually hip.

Aw...but to truly bring the Muppets to the glory they deserve to be in, will take some mighty special writing and timing. Stoller and Segal should hook up with Jim Lewis and Bill Baretta so it's not just those two writing it.
There IS a way to write smart, edgy, hip...without 1) being too crass or 2) too 15 minute fly-by pop culture reference

This Muppet film needs fun and truly moving musical sequences and songs. It needs real emotion, peril. It needs smart chemistry and unique dialogue that both adults and kids will get something from yet works on different levels(so years later you can go as an adult "whoah, I didn't even get what they were saying til now)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh heavens...no! Under no circumstances should Piggy be in rehab! Currant or no currant, Piggy's soul lay in her inner strength and confidence. (Unless she was there thinking it was the trendy thing to do...)

But I don't even think she would do that. She is a woman, and a diva. Not a teenage girl, or a hollywood actress.
Absolutely agree! And to be honest I'm a little tired of the rehab thing we keep seeing in pop culture. I mean sometimes it's funny, but it doesn't feel like these celebs take it seriously, just that it's a trendy thing to do. And that's really irresponsible because ordinary people go to rehab all the time for serious help.

(I personally would not want to hear Gonzo's in space, but that is just me. We all have our own take on the matter. :wink: lol )

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mila Kunis, eh? I wonder if she'd stick it to Seth McFarline that she actually worked with the Muppets. I kinda picture Seth Green doing that. Clearly Seth McFarline is a Muppet fan to put a reference to them in like every 5 episodes of Family Guy and American Dad.

Anyway, I do like them being split up. Wasn't that sort of the plot for "the Next Muppet Movie"? I just hope they don't go to Scooby Doo lenghts though.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Oh I get it...and I don't ever like to rag on Kurt and the post 1990 JH writers/directors we've had. But I think in an interesting kind of Kermit-like allegory; the Muppets had lost their voice.
I'm liking you more and more beaker. There seems to be this purist camp of muppet fans who think that everything was entirely sweetness and light with the muppets. What i've found and find most appealing about Jim Henson's work is that there is an amazing balance he struck with everything. There is darkness to the muppets - not that they are evil - but, just like real life the characters are not entirely one thing or the other. I truly think that perspective is what we've been missing since Henson's death - he had an amazing psychology that he breathed into those dolls. I hope these writers can touch on that and not make them one dimensional.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppets are a dysfunctional family with Kermit (a little bit crazy in his own right) doing the best he can to wrangle them all together. That's always been the core of the dynamic. That's what caused the imbalance in Muppets Tonight and other productions that scaled back Kermit. Also the characters were becoming self-aware parodies of their classic incarnations. It just wasn't satisfying to many fans. :attitude:

The Muppets can play out any plot, but they have to retain the initial spark at the heart of their persona. The classic tales retreads led to eventual (non Juhl) poor writing when the Muppets were playing themselves rather than being themselves. No matter what the story's substance if the Muppets show up a good time will be had! :smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Thank you frogboy - "dysfunctional" - I couldn't have said it better.

Check it out - TMZ just launched Hollywood Muppets:

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/hollywood_muppets
I usually hate that show but omg thats way to funny!:embarrassed:
Bruce Vilanch as jr. gorg! hahaha
omg that's funny Brad Garrett as Sam the Eagle! lol
*giggles* @ the thought of Al Roker as Bunsen!
Omg it's so funny I hardly ever watch tv and that James kid from this big brother show used to live in my apartment building in los angeles, he was sleeping on some guys couch and now he's on tv.
Boy that makes me feel great about my life lol oi!
the only one thats not that great is Rowlf and woopie.
I'd say Jorge Garcia as Bobo more than Rowlf lol

Status
Not open for further replies.