Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppet movie will propbably be a highlight next year. They really are laying down firm groundwork for it an probably don't want to jinx it. Also it appears the Weinstein's Fraggle Rock movie is much further along in development that they might be holding back news to keep clear of confusion of the two projects. It happens.

The Lone Ranger has cast Depp as Tonto and is courting Clooney as the masked guy himself.

Did they indicate Jim Carrey was to be in Burton's Alice? I kinda hope not. The reports I have heard of the film is like MGM's Oz, Burton plans a somewhat desaturated opening in the real world and a blast of color (plus Disney 3D) when they get to Wonderland. Much of the characters, including Depp's confirmed Mad Hatter, are reportedly motion capture. If Jim Carrey is the Cheshire Cat I will be so very angry. :mad: I am curious to see Burton's take on that character. I just hope it is better than his other recent adaptations of Charlie and Apes. :embarrassed:

Back to the topic - I just wish they had a title for this new Muppet film. I also hope they get creative with the poster campaign.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm a HUGE Lone Ranger fan--not a fan of the casting for the upcoming film (although they may surprise me).

My desire about the new Muppet movie is that they take a lead from The Muppet Movie where the cameos were of characters and were therefore timeless--unlike the cameos in more recent films.

It would be nice to see really creative posters about the new Muppet movie. I expect they'll do something very cool with it all. I'm excited about all of this, though. I'm so very happy the Muppets are coming back into their own, and I hope it's successful with some great work and it sticks!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Or, to hear Charlie tell it, it was he who was along side HIS dummy Edgar. :smile: Charlie was an awesome character. MOrtimer was funny, too. I think that having had Candace Bergen and Edger Bergen both on The Muppet Show was certainly an awesome thing to have done.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No offense to Kathy Griffin, Hulk Hogan, Andy McDowell or Ray Liotta, but the Muppets used to attract mostly hot, timeless or higher esteemed personalities in their films. After Tim Curry's brilliant performance in MTI the casting seemed to go downhill far and fast! That's what makes me glad to hear of possible cameos for the new film. It mixes the old Muppety magic Charles Grodin with box office draw and Oscar winner Angelina Jolie. That's how it used to be done. If Jim were around it never would have been an issue. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppet movie will propbably be a highlight next year. They really are laying down firm groundwork for it an probably don't want to jinx it. Also it appears the Weinstein's Fraggle Rock movie is much further along in development that they might be holding back news to keep clear of confusion of the two projects. It happens.
Or the two are in that deep development part just before the pick up of the script, where you don't hear anything from the scriptwriters or company. We've seen it before.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
No offense to Kathy Griffin, Hulk Hogan, Andy McDowell or Ray Liotta, but the Muppets used to attract mostly hot, timeless or higher esteemed personalities in their films. After Tim Curry's brilliant performance in MTI the casting seemed to go downhill far and fast! That's what makes me glad to hear of possible cameos for the new film. It mixes the old Muppety magic Charles Grodin with box office draw and Oscar winner Angelina Jolie. That's how it used to be done. If Jim were around it never would have been an issue. :smile:
Actually, I thought about it more, and while the actors used for the cameos in MFS weren't the in-thing, they did play character roles. It was the Hulk Hogan role that irked me more than anything--it took something that should be timeless and timed it right smack in the mid-1990's (or whenever it came out...some fan I am!).

I agree, they should really aim high for cameo performances and put them behind an ice cream stand or selling balloons, not screaming at their Hoganites! HA HA!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I thought about it more, and while the actors used for the cameos in MFS weren't the in-thing, they did play character roles. It was the Hulk Hogan role that irked me more than anything--it took something that should be timeless and timed it right smack in the mid-1990's (or whenever it came out...some fan I am!).
Actually, if you wanna get technical, the Hulkster was more popular in the 80's... pushing in the early 90's... definately before this movie came out (When did Hulk Hogan have that cartoon show? 85, I think). I feel the references to the WB network shows and the Dawson's Creek stuff was creakier. Oh, and the reference to the Spice Girls.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

I agree, they should really aim high for cameo performances and put them behind an ice cream stand or selling balloons, not screaming at their Hoganites! HA HA!
They called him "Hollywood Hulk Hogan" that was apparently his later incarnation of the wrestling character. I still don't understand the entertainment value of wrestling or its world so I'll just stop there. :confused:

Muppets from Space came out on July 14, 1999. It cost $24M to make, took in $16.6M in its dismal three week domestic run. It only gained $5.7M internationally to an underwhelming $22.3M worldwide. The home video release occurred on Oct 26, 1999 to finally nudge them over the budget mark. I know people like that film but it was a critical and financial failure that is a sore subject with many lifelong fans. This really was a film for the Sesame Street kind. There's nothing wrong with that except it isn't what these Muppets are supposed to be about. :sympathy:

I have a lot of faith that Segel knows the magic formula to put these Muppets back in their zone. We have had a bit too much Stepford Muppeting in recent years. They seemed okay, but a little while into the majority of these projects they proved to be lobotomized to exhibit out of character behavior that was either too kiddie or overly snarky. There have been some shining moments, but they were too few and far between. The majority of new Muppet media has been so promising. I am truly stoked.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I have to say now that I'm stoked. Jason is awesome and a superfan. We'll have to wait and see what we get, but I'm confident and really excited that this is in the hands of someone who cares and is respectful of the Muppets. For the first time in a long time, I'm really excited about what is to come!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have the DVD and one night this week I'm going to listen to the auido comentery. Hopfully they might shed some light on the muppet movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.