The future of MR photo puppets.

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
I agree and disagree with some points. As we know MR is going through a very big transistional year with the loss of the Lucasfilms account, and the new factory for what we hope will be at least Fozzie and Piggy. I wouldn't even say stay optomistic about the line after that. Because if it does not happen, you all have been very big supporters of the project and HUGE muppet fans. i'd hate to have to read the posts in a years time of "I just wished thay had gotten to Scooter" and the next "I just wanted a good Rowlf, ya know he was like the first." The Muppet franchise being on the cuff of a resurgence is not enough this late in the game. If they had new films coming out a year ago ago when Kermit was out and animal was in planning they would have had better chances. But that's hypothetical. By doing exactly what The Harry Potter franchise has done. A pamphlet of exclusive Harry Potter merchandise from Noble Collection. It's also like we've noticed these are high end collectibles. The economy sucks here in the US where the most marketing has been (I use the term loosely). Unfortunately it might have been wiser to have kept the edition size down. But that unfortunately might have raised the price. Catch 22. My view on MR is unfortunately gone down with the seemingly new venture of various collectibles. They're work on the Star Wars line was incredible, unless it was mandated by Lucasfilms to those standards. Getting exclusive and incredible prop replicas was what I feel they excelled at. But I feel due to the economy, lack of new muppet awareness, exposure, and these sort of replicas belonging to a niche market would be to blame for on MR's side, the correct business decision of 5 and out.

Kevin

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Let's not panic folks. Travis did say that he expected the first Fozzie to be pretty bad and considering our rants about Gonzo, maybe he wants to wait and show us something closer to the final version. I do admit that promotion of these replicas has been poor to say the least. How anyone ever expected to sell replicas of beloved characters from yesteryear without promotion is beyond me. I only stumbled onto them by pure accident and I'm a huuuuuge Muppet fan. I stumbled across the line when I googled Kermit in the images section and saw him in coverage from a toyfair. I actually feel that I have personally done more to promote these - anyone who stands close to me for longer than a second has them shown to them on my phone, and incidently, some have consequently bought one on the back of that. Let's try and put our confidence in MR. I genuinely feel that the Muppets are on the cusp of a huge return to the limelight. The new movie will ignite the flame, they have a huge celebrity following and are frequently referenced in modern shows such as Family Guy and the Office. Sales for high end replicas will no doubt sky rocket off the back of that. MR will probably need to show a little blind faith but I for one think that eventually this line could be and should be huge! Besides, no-one has told us how the line is actually doing, we are only speculating about the sales.
I so agree with that. I just hope that these don't only make money on the secondary market as with Palisades. MR should be floating in green too for these masterpieces. :smile:

Stulz

Reaction score
MR Muppets

I'd just like to add that although I love the MR line, the tweaks needed to make them perfect for the price we're paying doesn't sit well with me.

Also with so many coming in out in such a short period of time, that unless you have a nice litle stash of disposable income at the ready, these lost there specialness.

So I'm all for these selling well enough to continue the line, but also being released in a more spacious manor that allows for each character to be to refined so that each and every one is:

A: Worth the wait
B: Worth the price
C: Looks exact with no tweaks needed

If the were to be released one a year with them actually being worked on for that full duration and QA taking that extra time to fix any inconsistencies this could truly be the great line it deserves to be.

ButchCat

Reaction score
One thought though, what if MR has hired someone else besides Terry to do the Piggy poser? Kermeee here on the boards created a fantastic pig puppet. Hopefully he has been contacted by MR to create the Piggy poser prototype.
Thanks for writing me off Ignohippo, I'll remember that.

From what Travis tells me the line will continue but they are not ready to go on with Miss Piggy yet and sadly I don't know when that will be. It will not be before the next two months So don't panic yet everyone.

Terry Angus

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
A: Worth the wait
B: Worth the price
C: Looks exact with no tweaks needed
I'm confused as to each statements effect on why there would or would not be a forseeable future? Remember this conversation was based on it's future, and by future, it's worth to the company profitwise and also fan base who's actually going to continue paying these prices for less popular characters (That for the most part are all larger like fozzie and the price would be there for the majority of 6-?) The farther from the main 5 that are produced I could only hypothesize that numbers would be DRASTICALLY low. Now; based on price, fanbase, and ability to market.

Thanks Terry for popping on, (but not my PM through myspace. :smile:) I can fully understand MR holding out. What happens if this factory doesn't work out either. Then we have Animal and Gonzo all over again. Piggy being ready for pre production, paying Terry for his services, and having to look for another factory which = another investment of time and $ for MR. Causing a chain reaction with marketing dept etc. Thoughts?

Kevin

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There is no Terry but Terry!

I enjoy all the puppet work seen around Muppet Central, but Terry's the man...er puppet man. I really am stoked to see what he does with the pig. :smile:

I know Gonzo's netting wasn't ideal, but that's one fine weirdo that greets me every morning.

Not the best photo of any of us, but MC's Kev, Muley, Gonzo and I had this picture taken recently. Candid shot.

There's no doubt in my mind that Terry's eventual Miss Piggy will be the ultimate Miss Piggy by which all others are compared. :mad:

muppetguy

Reaction score
Here Here!

You said it Frogboy! Terry's Piggy will be THE ULTIMATE Piggy collectible that I know I've been waiting for for so long.

Terry, Thanks for stoppin' by, it helps us fans here...ALOT!:mad:

Telly

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to Piggy! Although Rizzo's my favorite, I'd give him up for Rowlf and Scooter. I really hope the line does continue after Piggy. I haven't gotten Animal yet, but only cuz he's not one of my favorites. After the line has ended is when I'll probably pick him up. :halo:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that there hasn't even been an e-mail newsletter to Collector's Society Members in over a month? I'm beginning to think there are more problems at MR than just the Muppet line.

:stick_out_tongue:

MWoO

Reaction score
To me the only thing keeping sales down is that both animal and gonzo need a lot of work to get to look right. I really don't see why Animal's hair has to stick up like that out of the box and be so impossible to get down. Gonzo's eye focus shouldn't be so far off either to the point where people have to redo it. Just basic stuff like this should be addressed. That coupled with better pictures on the website should help sales. I mean really...those pictures are terrible.