*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Congress is wanting to stop funding PBS, and of course this means "Big Bird Will Get the Ax".

First of all... does anyone else besides me find it amusing that Sesame Street is so Elmo-driven these days, yet they don't want to say "Elmo Will Get the Ax", they want to say "Big Bird Will Get the Ax".

Secondly... has anyone else besides me notice this issue always comes up every other year or two years or so? Why do they bother keep bringing it up, when it's not going to happen?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Congress is wanting to stop funding PBS, and of course this means "Big Bird Will Get the Ax".
Congress has been eyeballing PBS for years now. When we're talking about useless wastes of tax payer money, how come they look the other way at $9000 dollar Hammers, funding for the Naming everything after Ronald Regan for no apparent reason Foundation, and the buttering up foreign dignitaries Caviar and champagn Lunches?

For or against Bush, for or against the war, you have to agree, tax cuts during a time of war are NOT the brightest ideas in the world. the war is taking a huge chunk of our tax money, and even still, it's grotesquely underfunded. And that money has to come from somewhere, and that's usually from places like education, public safety, and government jobs. Why, after the Hurray for Fire Fighters movement (after the you know what), budget cuts caused all these local fire brigades to shut their doors perminantly. PBS, frighteningly enough, is the least of our worries.

Secondly... has anyone else besides me notice this issue always comes up every other year or two years or so? Why do they bother keep bringing it up, when it's not going to happen?
Problem is, ever so often, when this subject is brought up, it comes closer and closer to reality. As it stands, we have pledge month EVERY OTHER MONTH... sometimes, an extra 2 weeks in between those months. There aren't any philanthropists now (who use their money for something besides buying political influence). I wouldn't say PBS is doomed, but it's basically on life support now. And greedy oil barrons who want their tax cuts are willing to pull the plug for their own selfish gains.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My PBS hasn't had a pledge drive in three years.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
My PBS hasn't had a pledge drive in three years.
Now how could that be?

My station has them at least a few times a year.

As annoying as they maybe it might be best if they have them everyday so they won't have to keep depending on the govornment.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
First of all... does anyone else besides me find it amusing that Sesame Street is so Elmo-driven these days, yet they don't want to say "Elmo Will Get the Ax", they want to say "Big Bird Will Get the Ax".
I think they said this because older fans who grew up with the show remember there beloved bird.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sesame is solid.

:wisdom: I always think it's funny how they cite Sesame Street as the project that would receive the axe. Actually Sesame Street is propping up PBS. They could go to any number of cable stations they wanted and run repeats on PBS. That always appears to be an option on the table. Sesame is and will always be a self-sustaining business. The business of education, of course, but still a business.

:batty: As far as government funding for the arts - as an artist I say yes. That shouldn't be the primary funding source, but a country that doesn't publicly invest in the arts is one that's lost its soul, its heart, its beauty, sense of history and self.

:grouchy: Why is it that many of the extreme conservatives behind such funding cuts are the same ones who can't comprehend the tragic state of disillusioned youth and the sad state of disposable tabloid culture of today? Arts immersion is a good prescription for that affliction!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ooh! This is such awesome news! Thank you for letting us know MrsPeppie!