*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Which is why my mom believes Kevin Clash has a bit of an ego problem.
Well, you cannot fully blame Kevin OR the character. Yes, they both seemingly enjoy the praise and control, but it is the new audience that clamors for "the little red menace" that keeps Elmo where he is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, you cannot fully blame Kevin OR the character. Yes, they both seemingly enjoy the praise and control, but it is the new audience that clamors for "the little red menace" that keeps Elmo where he is.
I realize that, but it's more than just Elmo "taking over the street", my mom's other reasons for believing Kevin's got an ego problem is the fact of how involved he's gotten with the series behind-the-scenes as well what with doing a lot of directing, and even being co-executive producer on "Elmo's World".

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of this...

:search: I know the show is split kind of in two anyway, but why doesn't Sesame Workshop go all out and just make an Elmo's World program to follow the regular Sesame Street?

Here's the pitch:

:wisdom: Have Elmo pretty much recede to the background as much as possible (I know he's in much of the archived material they use anyway) and focus on the ensemble of Sesame Street. When the show gets to the end (like the Colbert Report follows the Daily Show) there can be somewhat of an exchange with Elmo and Big Bird as the furry red fella heads off into his own Elmo's world program. Other characters can cameo, but that's his show to mug for the camera as much as he wants (to the delight of many Elmo-centric kids). Have the credits for both programs run in a split screen at the end of Elmo's World.

:super: The idea here is that the Sesame Street program can be about letters, numbers and *relationships with one another* while on the street. Elmo's World can be about whatever Elmo wants to do. It could be more about the world at large. That could be a good thing. It can also expand the environment of Elmo in a nice way - better sets etc. As long as it had a separate budget it seems like a great idea that would strengthen PBS even more and maybe get rid of one of the obnoxious Tubbyesque programs.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
That's a nice idea, but it could feel to fans what Kermit leaving the show did for us older generations (Yes, Kermit is still around, but in a more limited capacity now that he been usurped by the very same Mouse House that's since reduced its staple icon to a pre-school teaching role).

Drtooth

Reaction score
:search: I know the show is split kind of in two anyway, but why doesn't Sesame Workshop go all out and just make an Elmo's World program to follow the regular Sesame Street?

Here's the pitch:

:wisdom: Have Elmo pretty much recede to the background as much as possible (I know he's in much of the archived material they use anyway) and focus on the ensemble of Sesame Street. When the show gets to the end (like the Colbert Report follows the Daily Show) there can be somewhat of an exchange with Elmo and Big Bird as the furry red fella heads off into his own Elmo's world program. Other characters can cameo, but that's his show to mug for the camera as much as he wants (to the delight of many Elmo-centric kids). Have the credits for both programs run in a split screen at the end of Elmo's World.

:super: The idea here is that the Sesame Street program can be about letters, numbers and *relationships with one another* while on the street. Elmo's World can be about whatever Elmo wants to do. It could be more about the world at large. That could be a good thing. It can also expand the environment of Elmo in a nice way - better sets etc. As long as it had a separate budget it seems like a great idea that would strengthen PBS even more and maybe get rid of one of the obnoxious Tubbyesque programs.
I've been clamoring for this idea for years. And I feel it's totally ironic that you made this suggestion here. Why?

Well, PBS's funding is pretty much low and on the process of drying up. New show acquisitions are ridgidly processed, I feel. And they only tend to gravitate towards the hippest, newest, not yet denounced by educators shows possible. So the feeling would be, "Why do we need another Sesame Street when we have one already? We'd rather some pop slop that we could milk for a few years that pull in higher ratings."

it does seem ideal. Finally cancel Barney or Teletubbies, or something that hasn't been Popular since the Clinton years and put a more pre-preschool themed half hour of Elmo as a companion piece to the regular hour of Sesame. But that's not going to happen. Unless Sesame was a half hour long, and could alternate with the Elmo program, it's just not feasable. I say that because that's how come we had two Clifford and two Arthur Shows. Of course, the new Clifford show was meant to replace the old one (as the voice of Clifford passed on), and Postcards From Buster, controversial episode aside, was dreadfully dull and didn't get the ratings they wanted (and was quickly dropped in a lot of markets).

Now, what would make more sense would be if, while Sesame Street only gets 26 episodes a year now, to fill the void by alternating a special mix of Play with Me Sesame and a half hour long Elmo's World compilation in a Friday slot. But even then, that wouldn't quite work.

So, as much as I'd love to see The Little Einstines Learn to Read program...errrr... Superwhy get it's butt kicked to the curb to make a Sesame Companion Show version of Elmo's World, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Come to think of it, it's part on these politics that keep the "New" Electric Company from actually being produced. Of course, SW is also a factor with that one.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Money and politics sadly runs most things nowadays.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
What I am surprised about, regarding PBS, is that they promised to air both Mr. Rogers and Reading Rainbow for as long as possible, and now, practically both shows are often-times nowhere to be found! :frown: