*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh some of what you've mentioned is making me cringe and I haven't even seen most of it!

I still like the idea of the current Sesame Street to have a "classic corner" segment of retro material - if only to celebrate their 40th season next year.

I still have hopes for Sid the Science Kid. It looks interesting. Heck, why don't they dub the Hoobs or Mopatop for use on PBS? I hate dubbing, but it's gotta be better than the stuff PBS is pawning off on kids that you mentioned.

Redsonga

Reaction score
However, kids are sharp and can tell the difference between old and new footage. For one reason or another (timing, production elements, dated puppet designs) many kids don't respond to the old footage the same way they do with the new stuff. It would be nice for them to have a weekly "retro corner" segment that incorporates a minute or two of the classic content.
When I was little I could never tell the difference between parts made in the 70's and those from the 80's and I like to think I was pretty watchful :wink:. I don't know, good segments stand the test of time IMHO...
I think Callou is sort of sweet, it reminds me of the show Little Bear that use to be on Nick Jr :smile:. But it is not as good as things like Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Kids as far as having, I dunno, a plot...
Now the Ragg's Kid's Club I'm not sure what to think about... And if I have to see Dragon Tales one more time...argh.
I miss Ghostwriter and things like 321 Contact :frown: .

wwfpooh

Reaction score
When I was little I could never tell the difference between parts made in the 70's and those from the 80's and I like to think I was pretty watchful.
That's 'cause as you get older, things you love tend to change or get critiqued to heck and back again.

Redsonga

Reaction score
That's 'cause as you get older, things you love tend to change or get critiqued to heck and back again.
I know, but I was just saying that not every child cares what is old or new in SS because it is all new to them :excited:

And meh, I've never listened much to what my peers thought :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Callou is sort of sweet, it reminds me of the show Little Bear that use to be on Nick Jr
The voices are increadibly grating. Half the characters sound like bad impersonations of Adam Sandler in the Waterboy.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The voices are increadibly grating. Half the characters sound like bad impersonations of Adam Sandler in the Waterboy.
I dunno, I think they sound like real little kids, but then I have been around a lot of 3-5 year olds in the last few years :smile:.
It takes a lot to annoy me, as I have a high voice myself :excited:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Plus, when you're around little ones a lot, you tend to accept the voices as they are. Heck, even Red herself was shrill-voiced during Karen's original voicing of the character in the first few FR episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus, when you're around little ones a lot, you tend to accept the voices as they are. Heck, even Red herself was shrill-voiced during Karen's original voicing of the character in the first few FR episodes.
I dunno.. I haven't seen more than 2 seconds of an episode for years. maybe it's different that they ditched the puppet characters. That turtle thing sounded like Thw Waterboy. I really wish I could get a side by side comparison.

Personally, I'm just glad they brought back the REAL Honest to Toutatis Thomas the Tank Engine back. Bad interpretation or not. I was getting sick of the cheap knockoffs like Theodore Tugboat and (Worse) Jay Jay the Jet Plane.... you wanna talk about grating character voices? I cought like the end 5 minutes of one once, and there was this Helicopter character... sounded like someone put their vocal cords in a blender, turned it on to liquify, and recorded it.

But It's kinda depressing they didn't get someone at least with a British Accent (or at least change the word Cross to angry- since I've not heard anyone in the US use that saying for years). But all and all, I still love those old Shining Time Station versions by Ringo Starr and George Carlin (I know I'm sounding hypocritical, as he's from the US... but he's GREAT!) Thomas really hit the skids after that ill advised movie. Glad to see they got him back on track... WOCKA WOCKA WOCKA! Almost let that one slip by. :embarrassed:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
George Carlin (I know I'm sounding hypocritical, as he's from the US... but he's GREAT!)
Speaking of him, I think he's been in recent comedy sketches, if I recall right. :big_grin:

But back to "that time of decade again"...Are there any more ideas that could spruce PBS back to the life it once bore?