*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It a way it kind of is and still is. But that's just how things kind of things go I guess.:smirk: I'll admit that the show does have a different feel to it then it used to...
I miss Jim's involvement, miss Kermit's "News Flash" sketches, miss Mr. Hooper and David, etc.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
:search: Oh, if PBS tanked (and let's face it, someone would bail them out in the 11th hour if it were absolutely necessary) Sesame Street would still not be in trouble. However, it wouldn't likely come to network programming except maybe in specials or reruns. It would move to cable like Nick or possibly even begin its own Sesame network.

They could do it quite easily. Jim always liked cable for children’s programming. Shows aren't as beholden to ratings on cable...they really aren't. When a cable show gets axed it's because someone is gunning for it or it is actually so terrible that nobody wants any part of it. That would never happen to Sesame unless Elmo finally flipped and went all Scorsese in the street!

:wisdom: Sesame could easily thrive on basic cable or even pay cable and maybe even improve in terms of budget and expand content. I'm glad it is on PBS because the program was created to give latch-key kids a step up in education and it should always be available to that demographic (in new shows, not just videos or reruns).

Also if PBS ever lost Sesame Street they'd have a hard time getting donations. The landscape of television and media is changing so much and that's good. That also makes it more important than ever to have a free public broadcasting channel.

I don't believe PBS will ever truly go belly up, but I am disturbed (however tastefully done) about the increase of ads for McDonalds etc. Cringe...I'd rather Barney and the Tubbies help sell the network. Cringe again for emphasis.

The idea that Sesame Street is ever in trouble is a myth that's perpetuated by PBS as a scare tactic. Heck, 123 Sesame is more in jeopardy with that red dude at the helm than any outside force.

:smile: One frogboy's opinion.
well the trouble with putting it on cable is that only the “rich kids” would see it. I never had cable growing up, being the oldest of 6 kids and all, and really its not the higher class kids who need SS any way. Its the poor kids who are in a poor education system, where all they have is a old TV and local channels. Millions of kids have grown up with SS because as long as you had a TV you could watch it. (and who doesn't have a TV now at days, you can get one from a thrift store for $10) If SS was always on cable, most of us would never have seen it.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Whilst the above statement is true, the Street has changed its appearance, for it's no longer the true inner city Street it started out as. Moreover, though it still preaches equality--despite differences--and fairness (along with teaching the basics: letters, numbers, accepting others, etc.), it since--primarily since Elmo's takeover from 1998 onward--has become a prestine perfect, nice-all-the-time facade that's nothing like the reality it was originally meant to portray.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
well the trouble with putting it on cable is that only the “rich kids” would see it. I never had cable growing up, being the oldest of 6 kids and all, and really its not the higher class kids who need SS any way. Its the poor kids who are in a poor education system, where all they have is a old TV and local channels. Millions of kids have grown up with SS because as long as you had a TV you could watch it. (and who doesn't have a TV now at days, you can get one from a thrift store for $10) If SS was always on cable, most of us would never have seen it.
:search: I agree and actually made a point to mention that in the post of mine you quoted: "I'm glad it is on PBS because the program was created to give latch-key kids a step up in education and it should always be available to that demographic (in new shows, not just videos or reruns)."

:wisdom: Sesame Street will always exist. It bothers me that PBS and others bring up the Street as something that would be cancelled if PBS falls. The real tragedy is that these kids who don't have cable (my family didn't have it until my teens), the ones who need Sesame most would not be able to access show.

:batty: I feel that PBS has floundered in its responsibility in other programs in having to continually use the Sesame crutch to prop them up. I do think PBS needs more funding, not less, but they are less likely to get it with the current state of their network’s content. A sad truth.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
There are posts by myself and others that explain the options and reasonings a little ways back in this thread.
But a lot of them say PBS won't fall! However, without proper funding, it might.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't see what the big hoop-lah is. They say this every year and what happens, PBS remains unscathed.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I don't see what the big hoop-lah is. They say this every year and what happens, PBS remains unscathed.
But this coming year, everything will be going digital and things might change.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But this coming year, everything will be going digital and things might change.
Well, remember, Sesame Street is going to be FILMED in HD from now on...

*Prays* Dear God, please don't let this mean the show will also be in widescreen now, Elmo's already ruined the show, please don't let it to continue to be ruined by un-necessary black bars that cut off the tops of peoples heads and other little things at the bottom of the screen. Amen.

Not only that, even PBS has been playing commercials about how people who don't have digital cable will have to purchase digital converters in order to watch channels like PBS.

Now then, why is America in such a hurry? It's my understanding that in Canada people are being given two extra years (2011) before they HAVE to convert to all digital.