*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

Drtooth

Reaction score
My PBS hasn't had a pledge drive in three years.
My PBS hasn't had a pledge drive in over three seconds.

As far as government funding for the arts - as an artist I say yes. That shouldn't be the primary funding source, but a country that doesn't publicly invest in the arts is one that's lost its soul, its heart, its beauty, sense of history and self.

That's what I say. It isn't the priority funding source, nor should it be. But we always need to have the government sponser things like this to give us a more well rounded culture. But that's not what Joe Conservitive Tax Payer thinks...

But you know what? We, as the tax paying public don't have a say in what our taxes go to. I mean, when it comes down to PBS? What's that? Like less than a dollar of everyone in the county's total tax fund? I don't want my taxes paying for a war I didn't want, a meal I can't eat, or projects that go unfinnished that I can't enjoy. At least with PBS, we get our hands in something we can all enjoy.

Then we get the old argument that Sesame Street can hold itself on a commercial netork. Nothing, and I mean it, could be further from the truth. You think all the changes that they had to make to keep the show going on PBS (Elmo's World, Journey to Ernie, etc) were bad, think of what would happen if it was on a regular commercial station. It would be broadcast at some terrible hour of the day, the show would be cheaply produced, all to fill a standard FCC ruled 3 1/2 hours a week of TV E/I Programming.

And on a cable network, where ratings mattered, the show would REALLY be all about Elmo for ratings and marketting purposes. And the show would really be dumbed down. Just to fit in with the ADHD likes of Dora, Blue, and Diego. And of course Gabba Gabba Hey, which tries way too hard to be like a retro 70's Japanese program, but has none of the bizzarre camp value (Youtube search "Kure Kure Takora" or "Gimme Gimme Octopus"- you'll know what I mean).

I wouldn't actually mind the government sticking it's boot in PBS's nether regions if we still had generous benefactors. But sad thing is, they're disappearing. We're getting the lazy, incompitant second generation of these rich people. Their moral deprived kids who grew up getting everything they ever wanted on a silver platter, and expect the same results working. Think they're gonna put that cash that could easily go to Booze and chicks and cars to PBS?

But I might as well say this... you're looking for somethings to give the axe? I have a list-

Telletubbies- why is this still on the air? Why? Jerry Falwell saying that thing was the only thing that made the show remarkable (as the alternative lifestyle counter culture took Teeny Weeny in as a Mascot). Other than that, what's the point of the show?

Barney the Disnosuar- Is... Is Bill Clinton still in office? Is the Disney Afternoon still on the air? NO! It's 2008! He his his stride over 15 years ago. If real Dinosaurs didn't avoid extinction this easily, they'd still be running around here. And if one person deserves a career out of taking someone else's music and putting new lyrics into them, it's gonna be Weird Al. Not some Dinosaur group too lazy to write their own music.

Superwhy- This just premired last fall... but if it's any indication, this could really have the effect on kids, making them even more hyper, slow witted, and selfishly entitled than we already have.

Sesame Street is an institution. almost 40 years, and still making shows. To axe a quality show like this is (as a certain duck would put it) Dethhhhthththpicable!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Congress is wanting to stop funding PBS, and of course this means "Big Bird Will Get the Ax".
*hugs Sesame Street to her chest* No. Over my dead DVD sets :mad: .
I'm sure if it ever did come to that there would be a big to-do to bring it back. I mean it's not like SS is a new upstart show that is useless :\. It have very deep roots going back generations and versions of it all around the world...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Personally, it's my feeling that I feel lucky that it's still going on the air after all this time. So it it ever were to end, even bitterly, it was a nice run.

*Ducks getting the Ax thrown at him.*

Redsonga

Reaction score
*rearms herself with another ax*
There..will...be..fake blood :coy: .
You just can't stop something like SS, that would be like cutting off a leg of america that supports the future:cry:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Street is Safe

Then we get the old argument that Sesame Street can hold itself on a commercial netork. Nothing, and I mean it, could be further from the truth. You think all the changes that they had to make to keep the show going on PBS (Elmo's World, Journey to Ernie, etc) were bad, think of what would happen if it was on a regular commercial station. It would be broadcast at some terrible hour of the day, the show would be cheaply produced, all to fill a standard FCC ruled 3 1/2 hours a week of TV E/I Programming.

And on a cable network, where ratings mattered, the show would REALLY be all about Elmo for ratings and marketting purposes. And the show would really be dumbed down. Just to fit in with the ADHD likes of Dora, Blue, and Diego. And of course Gabba Gabba Hey, which tries way too hard to be like a retro 70's Japanese program, but has none of the bizzarre camp value (Youtube search "Kure Kure Takora" or "Gimme Gimme Octopus"- you'll know what I mean).

I wouldn't actually mind the government sticking it's boot in PBS's nether regions if we still had generous benefactors. But sad thing is, they're disappearing.

But I might as well say this... you're looking for somethings to give the axe? I have a list-

Telletubbies...Barney the Disnosuar...Superwhy

Sesame Street is an institution. almost 40 years, and still making shows. To axe a quality show like this is (as a certain duck would put it) Dethhhhthththpicable!
:search: Oh, if PBS tanked (and let's face it, someone would bail them out in the 11th hour if it were absolutely necessary) Sesame Street would still not be in trouble. However, it wouldn't likely come to network programming except maybe in specials or reruns. It would move to cable like Nick or possibly even begin its own Sesame network.

They could do it quite easily. Jim always liked cable for children’s programming. Shows aren't as beholden to ratings on cable...they really aren't. When a cable show gets axed it's because someone is gunning for it or it is actually so terrible that nobody wants any part of it. That would never happen to Sesame unless Elmo finally flipped and went all Scorsese in the street!

:wisdom: Sesame could easily thrive on basic cable or even pay cable and maybe even improve in terms of budget and expand content. I'm glad it is on PBS because the program was created to give latch-key kids a step up in education and it should always be available to that demographic (in new shows, not just videos or reruns).

Also if PBS ever lost Sesame Street they'd have a hard time getting donations. The landscape of television and media is changing so much and that's good. That also makes it more important than ever to have a free public broadcasting channel.

I don't believe PBS will ever truly go belly up, but I am disturbed (however tastefully done) about the increase of ads for McDonalds etc. Cringe...I'd rather Barney and the Tubbies help sell the network. Cringe again for emphasis.

The idea that Sesame Street is ever in trouble is a myth that's perpetuated by PBS as a scare tactic. Heck, 123 Sesame is more in jeopardy with that red dude at the helm than any outside force.

:smile: One frogboy's opinion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also if PBS ever lost Sesame Street they'd have a hard time getting donations. The landscape of television and media is changing so much and that's good. That also makes it more important than ever to have a free public broadcasting channel.
Indeed it does. No matter what they do to TV's, what extra add ons you have to buy to keep up with the digital stuff, not everyone is going to be able to afford cable. Mainly because there aren't any smaller companies (yet) coming out of the wood work providing alternate service, forcing them to lower the prices to stay competitive. (though, between you and me, even if it did happen, the telecoms would buy them up anyway, and regulate them so there'd be no alternative).

I don't believe PBS will ever truly go belly up, but I am disturbed (however tastefully done) about the increase of ads for McDonalds etc. Cringe...I'd rather Barney and the Tubbies help sell the network. Cringe again for emphasis.
The ads are pretty saddening. I mean, the kiddy shows get away with varying degrees of ambiguity in their advertising (from McD's no product showing, to Amazon.com's actual commercial advertisement before Curious George), but when it comes to the adult programs, they actually begin with broadcast TV commercials. I have to say, yes, they are holding the glue of PBS together, but can't they just be silent sponsers? I miss the good old days when they'd just mention the company name in 2 seconds or so. Now they feel they need to advertise to get that money back. It's very very sad.

But I also doubt PBS would go belly up fast (it would be a slow transition if anything). They'd just have a heck of a lot more pledge drives, and every show would need a crazy amount of sponsership, but they'd press on.

If any of these kind of shenanigans were to cause Sesame's cancellation for real, no doubt past supporters, current fans, and the entire crowd would gather around and protest. SS is too big an institution to just up and leave. Become centered on one character or curriculum maybe, but that's about it.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Become centered on one character or curriculum maybe, but that's about it.
And we certainly don't need that. Elmo's become self-centered enough by having his own segment, by starring in practically every new Street scene, and regulating his fellow co-stars to merely one-note segments (Cookie to Letter of the Day, Count to Number of the Day, Ernie & Big Bird to Journey to Ernie [if that even still airs], etc.).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And we certainly don't need that. Elmo's become self-centered enough by having his own segment, by starring in practically every new Street scene, and regulating his fellow co-stars to merely one-note segments (Cookie to Letter of the Day, Count to Number of the Day, Ernie & Big Bird to Journey to Ernie [if that even still airs], etc.).
Sadly, they did away with Journey to Ernie two seasons ago, so sometimes, Big Bird's not even on the show anymore.

I hate to use cliche analogies, but Sesame Street without Big Bird is like M*A*S*H without Hawkeye, or Sanford and Son without Fred (which ironically lacked him for half a season, and said season was the highest rating one for the series).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sadly, they did away with Journey to Ernie two seasons ago, so sometimes, Big Bird's not even on the show anymore.
Dang. I can understand if Carrol cannot perform as well as he used to, but...This is simply heart-wrenching, because with all his co-stars being reduced to filler, this essentially does mean that Elmo IS now running the show, with the newer characters--Zoe, Baby Bear, Abby, ecetera--being right beside him (but still below him) in seats of power and influence.