Saturday Morning memories thread

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Disney is all about the money, so if the kiddies love their Zac Efron and Miley Cyrus, it's mostly what we'll get until the next big thing comes along :frown: Sad but true!

Disney used to be a lot more "something for everyone" with their channel, but now it's dominated mostly by "tween" fare. I really miss the stuff they used to come out with, to be honest, so I know your pain, Red.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney is all about the money, so if the kiddies love their Zac Efron and Miley Cyrus, it's mostly what we'll get until the next big thing comes along :frown: Sad but true!
Which really gets me upset is that a POTC cartoon wouldn't even have been a risky investment. 3 Blockbuster movies, a MMORPG, and merchandise as far as the eye can see. It couldn't have been more of a sure thing if they called it "Adventures of Surething and the Safe Investment bunch!"

Hey, at one point, they even considered a Robin Hood cartoon (something I'd love to have seen), and timeless a tale that was, it was a riskier investment.

Somewhere down the line someone said "Hey, let's make a meh cartoon series, and shove a voice of one of the HSM cast into it instead."

Geez... even Eisner kept the TV animation business brewing. Igor is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But let's remember...Eisner stupidly CHOSE Igor as his replacement.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But let's remember...Eisner stupidly CHOSE Igor as his replacement.
Stupidly? Sounds like he did it spitefully.:stick_out_tongue: If I were unwelcomed by a company, and treated like slime, and forced to leave, I'd vengefully put someone who would be destined to do a terrible job as my replacement.

I swear, the WORST thing to happen to Saturday Mornings was when CBS put those Nick Jr. shows on instead of original programming. That was the beginning of the end for Saturday Mornings. Giving the message that one could just air stuff from cable affiliates instead of come up with original programming took jobs away from hundreds of animators and writers. I mean, it was fun when they had the regular Nicktoons for that year, but other than Hey Arnold and Pelswick, none of it was all that interresting.

Ironically, CBS actually has 4 original cartoon shows, and a few reruns. but they aren't that good. Sushi Pack is okay, but had the original writers and creators did what they wanted to do, it would have been much, much better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What about Zim? It was interesting, albeit dark.
Nicktoons on CBS consisted of Arnold, Pelswick, All Growed Up, and As Told By Ginger. Other than Arnold and Pelswick we never got any of the FUN cartoons... plus Zim didn't even exist yet. Heck, Spongebob was just starting out when this happened.

And the Nick Jr. line up consisted of Blue, Franklin, Little Bill and the like (I have no problem with Little Bill. in fact, I kinda liked it... but it was NO fat Albert). Eventually they killed off Nicktoons on CBS and just put back Nick Jr shows... that is up until 3 years ago when they started up "Secret Slumber Party" which was a co-production by DIC and American Greetings. It evolved into Kelwopolis a little later, and added a couple shows boys would actually enjoy.

Redsonga

Reaction score
But for the most part, Kewl airs stuff that's stereotypically girl-ish like Horseland, Strawberry Shortcake 2.0, whatever that live-action party show is, et al.
Not that that is a bad thing :stick_out_tongue:. It's one of only things I have a reason to watch on the weekends, being as I like SSC and anything to do with horses or ponies (I know, girly girly OMG :stick_out_tongue:!) . Although I wish they would show the much better made 80's SSC and My Little Pony, and the classic Care Bears in place of the CGI remake. Or at least mix showing the old with the new, to show that more can be done with the series plots to the new generation than what they seem limited to now (mostly going to the mall, OMG does he like me? soap opera, or non-anything actually happening plots)

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, my sisters like those shows--alongside Disney--too, but there's problems with Horseland. As good as the show itself is for the modern generation (my sisters deeply enjoy it), the official site of it is full of problems: constant lags, repeated bouts of violence (often of the verbal and emotional kind) on the part of users, and basically having no real worth as an official site whatsoever.
Well, a show and its website are two different things totally. A show should not be seen as bad just because its site is buggy and full of moody people...
Like I said before, one of the sites I have been a member of for 11 years now off and on is a My Little Pony one, and when it does have flame wars they are the most awful I have ever seen online...But those have never made me think less of my toy collection or the cartoon:excited:.

Redsonga

Reaction score
My Little Pony Tales was early 90's.:smile:..It's my least favorite because they made the ponies humans walking on two legs most of the time :stick_out_tongue:. I loved them being horsey, darn it!:stick_out_tongue: The theme song was really cool though :big_grin:! I wish the ponies themselves in the series were not only made in the UK though :frown:. But at least I finally got Patch ^.^

Anyway, No Heart is my favorite villain (I had this weird love hate love of his voice :3), I actually dislike Shreeky because I never saw the later episodes where she was put in (she was a much later character) until a few years ago. It really made No Heart look nothing like the villain I was use to (the most dangerous of the Care Bear villains IMHO, even worst than Coldheart)

Oh, the 80's MLP art was the best watercolor I've ever seen on boxart, I have been trying to ask around to see who is the artist Hasbro hired to do the drawings for years now ...

Redsonga

Reaction score
No offense, but I liked MLPT's theme better than the original's.

Odd, considering both the original & subsequent series were both aired on American cable!

To each their own, I guess.

Indeed. Like I said, they are extremely well-done, regardless of the fact that the franchise was aimed at girls.

Episodes (Alas Becky, only the MLPT episodes work now) can be found here.
My favorite version of the theme is the movies' :excited:, it makes me cry when I hear it it is so much a part of me :smile:.
It is weird that the Tales ponies were never sold here when everyone I know liked it...I would have so begged for a Clover:coy:.

Don't worry, I have all of the first series on the DVD boxset now..It is a shame they used the tv edited versions that cut out songs for time though, but I have copies of the unedited ones I burned to ^.~

Redsonga

Reaction score
*shrugs* I preferred the animations and drawings to the actual toys, because the toys seemed...either too girly or were definately lacking the details the animated incarnations had.
I was the other way I thought the toys were much more detailed than the cartoon ever was even though I love the cartoon... This is my childhood herd after all (most of it, I forgot to add two or three. I still have all of them though). And I don't care what anyone says, my new nearly finished boy herd (you can tell by the hoofs) is handsome :3! But, I am one to talk, I went to the pony con two years ago :wink: