Saturday Morning memories thread

Redsonga

Reaction score
It was in San Francisco in the summertime :smile:.
But back to the morning cartoons...The 2nd set of the Smurfs is out now:big_grin:!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not that that is a bad thing :stick_out_tongue:. It's one of only things I have a reason to watch on the weekends, being as I like SSC and anything to do with horses or ponies (I know, girly girly OMG :stick_out_tongue:!) . Although I wish they would show the much better made 80's SSC and My Little Pony, and the classic Care Bears in place of the CGI remake. Or at least mix showing the old with the new, to show that more can be done with the series plots to the new generation than what they seem limited to now (mostly going to the mall, OMG does he like me? soap opera, or non-anything actually happening plots)
Personally, I DO think its a bad thing, because it imposes gender roles. I love gender neutral cartoons, myself. Even PPG was gender neutral, dispite having girls as the stars. Of course, Care Bears is pretty gender neutral, even though girls prefer it more. Before I turned 5, I actually was all over the girly shows... only because the colors kept me happy. It's a shameful thing that I denounce as an adult, though...

But Mr. Beastly was the best thing about Care Bears, and anyone who says different is a dirty communist!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Personally, I DO think its a bad thing, because it imposes gender roles. I love gender neutral cartoons, myself. Even PPG was gender neutral, dispite having girls as the stars. Of course, Care Bears is pretty gender neutral, even though girls prefer it more. Before I turned 5, I actually was all over the girly shows... only because the colors kept me happy. It's a shameful thing that I denounce as an adult, though...

But Mr. Beastly was the best thing about Care Bears, and anyone who says different is a dirty communist!
Roles nothing, I just liked what I liked and that was that, I really don't think it is anything shameful to just let little kids be whatever they want. It's not the shows that make them like something or not it is their character to start with IMHO.

I have always loved animals and ponies and things, it was a natural attraction to me and I see nothing shameful about it. Some people just fit within part of the roles at some level by nature...

To act like dark things are more mature or that the only shows worth watching are perfectly balanced is as bad as saying only little girls can like girly things or relate to a show that has all girl characters IMHO.

I may be a diehard pony girl but I watched GI Joe and TMNT all the time and loved them, and those are often seen as stereotypical boy gender role shows...

Personally I think the whole 'Oh noes, genderroles' debate is a little overblown, because in the end it all rests on the parent about if they will or won't only limit their boys or girls viewing and playing to just girl's shows or boys toys.

And in the end people should not ,I think, force their views on children if they are playing with girly girl or many boy toys and like it of their own free will as chances are they will like some not stereotypical shows to on their own to...

I just don't think making it so much of an issue that they feel shame ether way when they are older is the best thing...

I mean, I love girly cartoons even now but I collect comic books and play video games, all and all I would say I am well balanced and I know many others that are to...

I honestly hate debate about genderroles because it takes the power of ones individuality to rule over how shows effect them out of the equation much more than the debaters say the bad shows do in the first place IMHO..It make my head hurt:sympathy:

Then call me Commie, because as much as Beastly was funny, he was created solely to be the bumbling lackey of No Heart & his neice Shreeky, which makes him pretty ineffective as a villain.
No Heart and Beastly came years before Shreeky though :stick_out_tongue:. Honestly she was made to be their lackey...

It's a shameful thing that I denounce as an adult, though...
Liking pretty colors and girly cartoons is not shameful, it never was :smile:.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in the classic Transformers cartoons, they later added some female Autobots to the series, which I thought was cool.

And I thought Jem was really cool cartoon series with lots of neat songs and interesting stories.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in the Garfield Gets Real movie, some executives didn't want to produce a cartoon about Garfield because they thought he'd set a bad example for overweight children. They wanted to do a cartoon about a muscular dog and cat who like body building to get lazy obese kids to start exercising. Garfield asks, "But are they funny?"

It's like Jim Davis and his crew were joking on the state of today's cartoons.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I remember in the classic Transformers cartoons, they later added some female Autobots to the series, which I thought was cool.

And I thought Jem was really cool cartoon series with lots of neat songs and interesting stories.
I think it is cool when they at least added a couple female characters to the 'boy' cartoons:smile:. I liked when they did that in Beast Wars (my favorite Transformers series).

I love Jem, it was a very hip series for its time, it is too bad it got ended before the writer could actually end the plotline like she wanted..Rio never did find out about her :frown:

Xerus

Reaction score
I think it is cool when they at least added a couple female characters to the 'boy' cartoons:smile:. I liked when they did that in Beast Wars (my favorite Transformers series).

I love Jem, it was a very hip series for its time, it is too bad it got ended before the writer could actually end the plotline like she wanted..Rio never did find out about her :frown:
I thought about that too. It was like Superman and Lois Lane. Only in Jem, it was a girl who was trying to decide about revealing her secret identity to a guy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I may be a diehard pony girl but I watched GI Joe and TMNT all the time and loved them, and those are often seen as stereotypical boy gender role shows...
There are a surprisingly high number of TMNT fangirls. And I will say, it had, and always did have a positive female role model in April O'Neil (though sometimes it seems that she cared more about getting a story than the safety of the turtles)... She was like their mother/bigger sister figure (and Donny sort of had a crush on her, even now)

Lemme just say how ridiculous it is for a boy's cartoon to have to include a positive female role model, and girl's cartoons don't have to do squat. Heck, I've seen a lot of girl's cartoons without a positive FEMALE role model. Check out Bratz... all those girls are vapid bimbos that care about fashion, and very little else. Didn't matter if they tried to shoe horn in morals that seemed oddly placed. It was a bad influence.

Of course, I'm not so much ashamed of liking girls shows... just those sort of based off a greeting card type things from the 80's. I recall reading an interview with the guy who drew the Robotman strip (he didn't create Robotman, he was just hired to draw and write it), and he was upset the animated version of Robotman came out the way it did, and not like the comic strip he was commissioned to do. And it's a real shame, since even when it was skewed to children, the comic strip was brilliant.

That said, there is one show sort of like that from Japan that I really like... you might like it too. It's called Anpanman... it's sort of like Strawberry Shortcake or Care Bears, but with a lot more depth. And a whole lot more psychadellic. It's about this super hero whose head is made out of bean paste filled bread, and his head is actually edible, and he gives lost and starving people a little piece of it. Sounds creepy, but it comes across really cute. And then there's this villain called Baikinman, whose a little germ that looks like a fly, and he has this sister Dokin-chan. it's almost like Mr. Beastly and Shriek, only Baikinman is his own boss, and Dokin-chan is extremely sweet to everyone...everyone else but her brother... and she's really childish... so, you may wanna check it out on youtube if you want.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There are a surprisingly high number of TMNT fangirls. And I will say, it had, and always did have a positive female role model in April O'Neil...
Absolutely I loved the Turtles and so did other girls I knew!

Lemme just say how ridiculous it is for a boy's cartoon to have to include a positive female role model, and girl's cartoons don't have to do squat.
That's a very good point. I mean it's important for teach boys to respect women. But it's just as important to teach girls to respect themselves!