Saturday Morning memories thread

Redsonga

Reaction score
I liked Scooby was A Pup Named Scooby Doo as well. I loved the cartoony style and the exaggerated personalities of the characters. It was an overall cute, funny show.
It made the word Jenkies live on forever for our generation IMHO :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
We interrupt this cartoon for an important announcement: Velma said Jenkies! We now take you back to your regularly scheduled program. :big_grin:

Redsonga

Reaction score
It was so good to come home from school and watch it :smile:!

Drtooth

Reaction score
But yes, in general cartoons used to have deeper storylines. And even if they weren't always deep, they were clever (i.e. Scooby Doo).

I beg to differ, actually. Some of today's cartoons are amazingly deep. The new TMNT show, for a while, anyway, every single episode had some sort of small consequence that led to a much bigger story later on. The secret origins arc was a prime example. The turtles get tangled up in a big space plot line, and they meet a robot woth the brain of a scientist merged into it's programming called "The Fugitoid." Somehow, it accidentally gets transported with the turtles back to Earth. And a later plot line, which developed into a bigger arc had a race of alien dinosaurs called the "Triceritons" invading Earth trying to find it, even though he wasn't there. And that lead to the Bishop arc....

And Spectacular Spider-Man, every episode had some sort of consequence that lead to bigger things in each passing episode. Peter trying to juggle 2 different personalities alone caused half his friends to hate him, leading to one of his friends becoming Venom...

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
My all time favorite Scooby was A Pup Named Scooby Doo, I loved it's running gags and how it was more comedy based. It is a big reason why even now Velma is my favorite character and as adults I ship her and Shaggy in my mind :smile:.
You too? It feels like the creators would rather ship them with anyone else but each other, with the way they handle it these days. But in the original series, I think they implied they were a "sort of" couple, if only because they were always dancing together or something :stick_out_tongue: I don't know, that's how I saw it as a kid. I haven't been able to shake it since.

Anyway, A Pup Named Scooby Doo is really fun, and while I don't specifically remember watching it (I probably did, I just don't remember), I consider it a part of my childhood. Cartoon Networks airs the reruns in the morning now, I believe.

Xerus

Reaction score
After the wildly animated and funny Mighty Mouse, the New Adventures aired in the 80's, other cartoon studios tried to copy that style and made crazy, off the wall, cartoony cartoons like A Pup Named Scooby Doo and the short lived new Beany and Cecil Show. And then came Ren and Stimpy.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
A big reason for me getting up on the weekends when I was very little was Chilly Willy on The Woody Woodpecker show. I watched The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show to, but I liked Woody better for some reason :smile:.
But who and I to talk Daffy Duck has always been my favorite over Bugs Bunny :wink:.

Always watched The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show on saturday mornings. I also agree, Daffy Duck is better than Bugs Bunny!

And I remember The Woody Woodpecker Show during the weekday mornings when I was getting ready for school.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show... now that brings me WAY back. I vaguely remember it, but the memories are fond ones. When I was really little, our TV could only pick up two or three channels. I remember watching that show. Then it seems like later we couldn't get ABC, but we could get channels like Nick and the Disney Channel. It was weird.