Saturday Morning memories thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh definitely real life ads cause trouble too. But Bratz dolls and their various incarnations are way too thin, not a great body image to give. And the characters are held up as come kind of ideal, "real" or not. The only thing I like about them if how their movie spoke against cliques. :wink:
Being a male observer, I feel that Barbie at least was a role model after a while. I mean, she had jobs. Bratz seem like the pretty, vapid, one-dimensional girl that marries for money, and only uses male companionship to get stuff so that they don't have to work a day in their lives... and they eventually grow into... well, anyone here watch "2 and a half men"? You know... Charlie and Alan's mother.

Plus, I watched an episode of Bratz once, and it was just a terrible show anyway. And the CGI animation was poor. And there wasn't one episode I didn't see a preview of (during TMNT of course) where they didn't shove in an American Idol reference.

Only thing I like about the Disney channel stuff I'm, always screaming about is that it seems to be killing the Bratz's popularity. I still hate the stuff, but even that stuff ain't as bad as Bratz.

And to think, that was created by a dirty old Master Roshi like guy!

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Well, even the name, Bratz implies a negative behavior/image. I'm not saying that I judge things solely on name... but give me a break. That alone gives obnoxious vibes.

As far as labels of girls in cartoons go, even if they can be labeled I just don't see them in terms of labels. I ether like them or I don't, the label is often beside the point because I judge them by how fun, or not, their character is to watch and go on adventures with.

The funny thing is, when cartoon and comic book makers try to change a female character to get rid of these 'label-like 'character details often IMHO the character suffers if it was good to start with..they almost get a flat cardbroady feeling to their personality. I think this comes from trying to please too many outside voices and not just doing what is good for the story itself...
If a pre-established character already has certain character traits, then by all means, they should keep them. It annoys me to see characters who change labels and attitudes just for the sake of "keeping up with the times." And sometimes, exaggerating personality traits of a weak character can make for a more enjoyable character that people may be more likely to relate to.

The funny thing about stereotypes, archetypes and labels is that more often than not they have true life basis. Otherwise, it wouldn't be funny or relatable. But I sincerely hope that creators (myself included) don't become slaves to cookie cutter labels and personalities and that we can expand on and discover new character types.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, even the name, Bratz implies a negative behavior/image. I'm not saying that I judge things solely on name... but give me a break. That alone gives obnoxious vibes.
And rest assured, it wasn't even remotely clever a show. It was sludge on every level. They even managed to shove in a villain that's an obvious parody of Barbie, making her a rich old Cruella DeVille type hag. Insult to injury for Mattel, right? it could have at least been a clever satire, but they opted for something like those old Sega Genisis commercials saying that Sonic is a rebel, and Mario is a conformist, and owning a Nintendo instead of a Sega makes you an out of touch dope.

I wonder if Transormers ever made a hard stab at Go-Bots... they should've.

Anyway, anyone else remember when they also had cartoons on Sundays too? It was local syndicated stuff, and a lot of it was reruns of older shows... but that was just great. Cartoons on both weekend days. That was amazing. Now all Sundays are for are shoving Aqua Kids at 6 AM and Made in Hollywood: Teen Edition sometime in the afternoon. Gets back to my previous statement... they basically just make these terrible, bland little shows they know no kid is gonna want to watch so the stations can keep their FCC license.

Xerus

Reaction score
I too remember how Sunday cartoons were neat back then. Back in the 70's, we watched reruns of Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Penelope Pitstop, Stop the Pigeon, and Wacky Races. Sure they were repeats, but they were new to me back then.

And the 80's featured a series of new HB Sunday cartoons called the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. I really loved Yogi's Treasure Hunt. Along with Super Sunday where Jem first aired along with the scary but cool cartoon, the Inhumanoids.

The 90's featured Sunday cartoons such as The Lionhearts and All Dogs Go To Heaven the Series.

Mostly, these Sundays I sleep in and then get ready for eleven o'clock church. But I do enjoy a PBS safety cartoon called the Danger Rangers.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I was never a fan of the sunday cartoon the networks showed back in the day. The one's on saturday were the ones to watch.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I don't think I ever watched cartoons on Sundays. My parents (well, my mom) were too busy making me do churchy things :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I watched most of my cartoons on Saturday so I guess Sundays weren't a problem.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I reiterate.... Junk food commercials CAN co-exist with PSA's about healthy eating. The only PSA's I ever seem to see are about staying away from Mail Trucks... not joking on this one. Where the heck are kids getting run over by so many mail trucks, and how lazy do you have to be as a parent to tell kids not to run in the street?