Saturday Morning memories thread

Redsonga

Reaction score
We only got Fox, ABC, CBS, two local channels, and 9 (KQED our PBS) :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
We didn't even have PBS as far as I know. The only time I remember being able to watch Sesame Street was at my grandparent's house.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I didn't forget... that's what the ....ect. was there for. :wink:

The Goth-girl label is a relatively new label too. I guess it's an example of how the label world has expanded.

(And in all this talk about labels, let me make a disclaimer, I don't approve of labels, especially in real life, but they can make for good caricatures for the sake of cartoons)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not really. It was there--albeit unnamed--when Lydia made her appearance in the Beetlejuice franchise (because Tim Burton himself always was dark and gothic-esque).
Well it's just that Goth girl as we know it is definitely newer than Femme Fatale. :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
When I say relatively new, I mean it's developed in the past 30 years or so. If you look at cartoons, comics, or films pre-80s, you really don't see that type of character. Or, if there were such a thing, I think it would have been to quirky to be considered a label.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well it's just that Goth girl as we know it is definitely newer than Femme Fatale. :smile:
I miss goth girls... now we just got emo's, and they're like a lazier version of goth that isn't committed to dressing half as cool.

That said, I wonder why Transformers was mentioned in a Saturday morning thread. Until Fox Kid's 2001-2003 line up, Transformers was always a syndicated daytime show.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
After the wildly animated and funny Mighty Mouse, the New Adventures aired in the 80's, other cartoon studios tried to copy that style and made crazy, off the wall, cartoony cartoons like A Pup Named Scooby Doo and the short lived new Beany and Cecil Show. And then came Ren and Stimpy.
Thay's is true. But as I remember it, A Pup Named Scooby Doo And The New Adventures Of Mighty Mouseis come out the same year as each other. Just pointing that out. But Ren and Stimpy and Mighty mouse were both John K. Creations. *shrugs*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

Redsonga

Reaction score
Caricatures are fine with me in cartoons, just as long as they aren't sending off a negative image to kids, particularly girls.
Ph :stick_out_tongue:. Makeup, clothing, and weight loss ads are ten times worst than cartoons could ever be IMHO. With cartoons you can not take them as seriously if your parents say so because they are not 'real'. But with those ads with supermodels and stars edited to look even thinner and more perfect than they really are, even though they are just as made up, little girls take them to heart because they look real...At least, I know I did :sympathy:. Luckily, I never got body issues (besides hating the pores on my nose, but everyones got something like that:embarrassed:)

As far as labels of girls in cartoons go, even if they can be labeled I just don't see them in terms of labels. I ether like them or I don't, the label is often beside the point because I judge them by how fun, or not, their character is to watch and go on adventures with.

The funny thing is, when cartoon and comic book makers try to change a female character to get rid of these 'label-like 'character details often IMHO the character suffers if it was good to start with..they almost get a flat cardbroady feeling to their personality. I think this comes from trying to please too many outside voices and not just doing what is good for the story itself...

I know I fit into a few labels even if I don't live by them, and if you were to take away those parts of me you would be left with a pretty boring person. The same goes for characters I think:coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ph :stick_out_tongue:. Makeup, clothing, and weight loss ads are ten times worst than cartoons could ever be IMHO. With cartoons you can not take them as seriously if your parents say so because they are not 'real'. But with those ads with supermodels and stars edited to look even thinner and more perfect than they really are, even though they are just as made up, little girls take them to heart because they look real...At least, I know I did :sympathy:. Luckily, I never got body issues (besides hating the pores on my nose, but everyones got something like that:embarrassed:)
Oh definitely real life ads cause trouble too. But Bratz dolls and their various incarnations are way too thin, not a great body image to give. And the characters are held up as come kind of ideal, "real" or not. The only thing I like about them if how their movie spoke against cliques. :wink: