Breaking news! New Electric Company Series from PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Which brings to mind the question.... what would you rather have? A brilliantly done, entertaining reinvisioning of an old show, or a poorly made, by the numbers, been there done that retread, exactly how the show used to be?
Depends on the franchise, because if the franchise was already pretty much spot-on to start with, why bother messing with a practically perfect formula. Then again, if the franchise needed retooling, then by all means, hack away until you're able to create something that's worth watching.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Here's a question for all of you.

If the new EC doesn't have the same feel and the original, why would that even matter to you?

It's important that it's sucessful and connects with the current audience and and whether we older generationers feel about it doesn't matter. Same with today's SS.

I'm not exactly saying we can't express what we think about this but when we get into saying things like '' I'm afraid it won't be like the stuff we grew up with" then I think one's getting to concerned.

Think it's best we spend more time discussing and reminicing about the old SS and EC rather than constantly worring about the new stuff which often seems like more of a popular topic than topics on the old stuff.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Good question! Well it's not just that I'd want it to be "the way I remember it." It's that I am of the opinion that TV entertainment used to be a lot better, and it would be good for kids to be exposed to that. I'm concerned that kids aren't getting quality entertainment or education the way they used to. That's why it matters to me. Kids are our society's responsiblity and we can't just assume that because something is new and popular, that it's completely doing its job.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I didn't gorw up with TEC, nor did I hear about it until a few years ago. But, I've seen the episodes on DVD and think that I'll be checking out the new show, dispite what's different. Just so long as it's funny, I'll greatly enjoy it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just so long as it's funny, I'll greatly enjoy it.
Agreed. There's too much emphasis on making things modern, and not enough on the contest itself. If a show is well written and well produced, that is all that should matter. Not how up to date and hip it is.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It's not a well written, well produced issue; I think there's no question that those aspects will be taken care of. It's the educational part that seems most important to me, and trying to do it in a way that relates to modern kids. They NEED to emphasize making it modern; if it reached kids to show old out-of-date ones and get kinds super-engaged, they would be doing that and saving their money instead of making a new show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Nowadays in general, I don't take it for granted that the writing and producing will be taken care of. And sadly companies are not always in tune with what the public actually wants. Old does not necessarily equal out of date. Modern does not necessarily equal better for kids. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Nowadays in general, I don't take it for granted that the writing and producing will be taken care of. And sadly companies are not always in tune with what the public actually wants. Old does not necessarily equal out of date. Modern does not necessarily equal better for kids. :smile:
Exactly. For instance, do we want The Fraggles doing hip-hop songs and learning about human faults whilst out in "Outer Space" in the upcoming film? No. We would want the same idealistic goal of promoting equality and world peace to be present. ^_^

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Or at least if they show human faults, that there's a way to overcome them by the end, hehe. The Fraggles weren't always perfect in themselves. That's what made the show good, the characters were complex and learned from their mistakes. Today they're afraid to show such things too much in kids programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.