I'm going to be a puppeteer in Little Shop Of Horrors!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead thread, but my auditions for Little Shop were tonight (just came back!).

I got a new puppet a couple months ago primarily for these auditions (but for other reasons, too, but mostly that). I obviously brought him to auditions with me. I tried very hard to keep the puppet out of my director's sight until I was needed. And oh my god, the look on her face when she saw the puppet for the first time. I sang "Grow For Me" and had her (and the musical director!) in stitches. She commented that she thought my puppet looked like Lamb Chop, I don't see the resemblance (http://www.russwalko.com/otter outside copy.jpg) but it's there I guess. :smile:

Gotta keep hoping for the best!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, I'm so jealous of everyone who got to go see the show. Especially to meet my ol' buddy Zack.

Bob, hope your auditions went well.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Bob, hope your auditions went well.
Unfortunatly, my auditions did not go well. My director is so biased towards the same 5-6 kids for leads so one of them got to be the puppeteer and I'm just in the ensemble. I'd go into the painful details of what happened after that audition, but I won't. At least not on the forum.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Some theaters are problematic in that they have a certain few performers the directors prefer over others. It's a bit disappointing. Although, had I not been paranoid I could have been in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown had I not assumed the director would pick other performers. After all, I already have the head-shape and the shirt.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Some theaters are problematic in that they have a certain few performers the directors prefer over others. It's a bit disappointing. Although, had I not been paranoid I could have been in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown had I not assumed the director would pick other performers. After all, I already have the head-shape and the shirt.
Well, if you know my school theater: favortism goes into play quite frequently (our actress playing Audrey didn't even have to read, she got the role by default and cast members who didn't even show up to callbacks were cast in big roles).

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
That stinks.
I know, but at the end of the day, it's my director's problem and no one else's, if she wants one of her favorites to be the puppeteer of the plant over a trained puppeteer, that's her loss. Especially since I just started a Puppetry Club at this very same school (my meeting with the principal to get us on the club schedule is tomorrow!).

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I know, but at the end of the day, it's my director's problem and no one else's, if she wants one of her favorites to be the puppeteer of the plant over a trained puppeteer, that's her loss. Especially since I just started a Puppetry Club at this very same school (my meeting with the principal to get us on the club schedule is tomorrow!).
I'm so excited for you! I wish there was a puppetry club when I was in school [many moons ago]. I've come up against casting directors playing favorites in the past too and I think playing to your strengths and expressing your true passion [puppetry] will get you further and be much more rewarding in the end. I would say "if there's anything we can do to help - let us know' but, I can only speak for myself so - truly - if there's anything I can do.... Keep us informed too... I'd gladly make the trek to see a show.

Jinx

Reaction score
All I can say is... get used to it! There's so much truth to the adage, "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Talent is rarely the number one criterion!

A few years ago I auditioned for a production of Jekyll & Hyde. Truly, it was the best audition I'd ever given in decades of performing. Literally everyone else who auditioned told me that they were sure I'd get the title roles. I told them that "I have nothing until a cast list is posted". Which certainly turned out to be good advice as the director chose to cast himself.

I was surprised, but not disappointed, since the most important thing in theatre I've learned is how to deal with not getting cast in a show. I've also learned that the more desperately I want a role, the worse I'll audition for it.

When I let go of the role before auditions, I'll ultimately deliver a better audition. And then I really know that if someone else gets the part they're definitely better suited to the production than I, or it's a political mess of the director/producer's own making. It also keeps me from becoming bitter, and to maintain relationship with these people in the event that I will ever be working with them in the future.

It's not fun, it's not fair, but it is the way it works!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I've come up against casting directors playing favorites in the past too and I think playing to your strengths and expressing your true passion [puppetry] will get you further and be much more rewarding in the end.
Yeah, that's exactly what I keep thinking. Besides, this is perfect karma towards my director, teach her a lesson for casting with favortism in mind over talent. Did I mention that during callbacks she directly lied to me and said I'd be the puppeteer and then put up the cast list and changed her mind to a favorite at the last minute? Great, great director... :rolleyes: