Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Daffney

Reaction score
Oh no!

The Fraggle film isn't going anywhere. :concern: Whinystein keeps making things worse.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They're obviously waiting to see how the "Muppets" movie fares at the box office. I think Muppet Show edge is what Weinstein was shooting for, but that's not quite the Fraggle brand of humor. Make no mistake, if the Muppets do well the Fraggles will follow. It's just a bit spineless of Weinstein. :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're obviously waiting to see how the "Muppets" movie fares at the box office. I think Muppet Show edge is what Weinstein was shooting for, but that's not quite the Fraggle brand of humor. Make no mistake, if the Muppets do well the Fraggles will follow. It's just a bit spineless of Weinstein. :smirk:
I think Smurfs movie is what they're aiming for in obnoxious 2003-ness kind of Shrektastic edginess.

Personally, I don't even call this news or an update. It's someone sticking their head out a window during a rain storm every five minutes and saying "It's raining still."

There is no doubt in my mind that Weinstine desperately doesn't want to do this movie. There is NO way this film can and will be made by them in the future, even the distant one. They blew their money, they blew their chance at this film, and Henson was mislead into thinking this wouldn't be some studio where boneheaded decisions make terrible movies with studio meddling.

The burps, farts, and hurt crotches they added to "enhance" Hoodwinked 2 (which explains why it was kept in the closet even when it was finished for over a year) only go to further my theory that this movie is going to the wrong place. Even if it did get made, all I can get out of edgy is white people's inclusion of unoffensive or once offensive "Hippidy hop" out of context to get an ethnic audience, overused movie and television lines we're all sick of hearing ("Hey! Let's make them all say 'Say hello to my Little Friend!' It's still fresh... and they're SMALL! BWAH HA HA HA HA HA! That's the knowledge you get when you finally pass film school the fifth time!"), and worst of all... the forced romantic relationship of human Marty Stu and Mary Sue that takes up 90% of the picture, while the actual "stars" just sit back and try to help woo them by saying their catchphrases! Why is that even a thing?

Yeah, if Henson wanted to make a shoddy, "edgy" take your ADD kids out of the house for 90 minutes on a rainy day piece of Marmaduke, they could have gone to every other studio on Earth... only difference is their movie would have been made by now.

Hey! Maybe if Fraggle Rock was a lame film franchise from the 1990's that ran it's course, maybe Weinstine would consider. Look! They have Scream 4 which came with little or no promotion until now and is coming out in a few weeks. yeah! What the world was clamoring for. Another lame slasher horror film that lost the satirical edge 20 minutes into the first one. And of course, there's always Spy Kids with NEW kids... ha ha ha! I hope those movies bomb and they go completely under.

Drtooth

Reaction score
APRIL FOOLZ... DA moVie is Happenning...

naw, I better come up with something more believable, right?

Aprillz Fuuulesl! The Weinstine brothers get replaced with slow witted monkeys who proceed to run the company better than they ever did...

Naw, still unbelievable.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You do know there's already a Scream 5 in the works right? BTW: Drtooth, what's your take on Hop?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You do know there's already a Scream 5 in the works right? BTW: Drtooth, what's your take on Hop?
I didn't care to see Hop, but hearing that "The Director of Alvin in the Chipmunks" (which should translate to us Henson fans as "the director that ruined Muppets from Space"... seriously, the Joel Schumacker of the Muppet franchise) was behind some of it. I don't even want to see a movie he caters.

The live action bit is even more of a turn off. I've been horridly burned, scarred, and disfigured by the Yogi Bear movie (or the crummy kiddy romantic film for girls with Yogi Bear sort of in it... curse my Hanna Barbera fanboyism... Both Scoobys and Flintstones I loved) to want to see ANY movies about woodland creatures trying to get some lame loser to woo a generic girl. And no doubt that's what most of the movie will be about.

Had it been all CGI I would have given it a shot. Though, I quite think considering the plot, Here comes Peter Cottontail did the same thing... but with Vincent Price in a comedic role (he had too few of them for my tastes)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nah, I don't dislike Hop, and I felt it was gonna do well..> Rango's been out a while now, and it's the only family film other than that. Family Films uring this time of year, no matter what they are, are always gold... at least for a couple weeks.

It's gonna be interesting when Rio comes out and see which one's gonna do better. I might just see Rio... I'm still kinda iffy.

But Seriously? Scream 5? The only horror franchises that earned the distinction of having a franchise of sequels were Freddy, Jason, and to some extent Chuckie, going to the point even little kids want to see them slaughter the red shirts they have for a cast. Scream started out as a tongue in cheek parody, and it quickly lost that mind frame during the course of the first movie. Jut as long as we don't get any more Scary Movies. Even when they were good, they weren't all that good.

Luke

Reaction score
I honestly think they have missed the boat on this one and they know it. I think Muppet movie and smurfs will suffer to but they may well still do respectfully. There is only so much the public can take of the whole retro thing ... even for the Muppets, being disneys big relaunch and probably the only chance the Mups will get, I'm so surprised they have let the momentum die down.