Muppets to appear in Disney Channel TV special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokey's sweet

Reaction score
hi, look i'm really excited about this come back, but i live in the UK, does anyone know if this special is going 2 be broadcast on the UK Disney Channel? is so when? :smile: thanx

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh brother. You guys really don't get how very, very fortunate the Muppets are to get this D.C. gig. To be allowed to be seen with Disney's biggest celebrities who appeal to Disney's largest TV demographic...the tweens. Who, by and large, couldn't care less about a bunch of old puppets their parents and grandparents used to watch.

Uh... cuz kids are stupid and they love the here and now crap that will be forgotten in 3 years. Once all these kids hit puberty, the ones that can't pull off pretending to be teens (like the HSM bunch) will get their walking papers, and will wind up as extras in an Olvie Garden commercial. I doubt any of these kids will be the next LeBeuf, who became a big star when his show was cancelled. Dude was in Indiana Jones. How can any of these kids compete?

What are we going to remember 10 years down the rode? Kermit the frog? or what's the twins's names?

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for being "remembered", big deal. That's nostalgia, not popularity.
Sorry, but that's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. What would you rather be? Mindlessly famous for 2 years, or well remembered and famous for decades? Maybe you should tell this to MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice. They were popular. So wasn't Milli Vanilli... they were even immortalized in an episode of Mario. But today? Just sad cultural references.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
If anything, it's Miley who's likely to be seen as being degraded, since they're puppets, they're old-fashioned, and they're throwbacks to another generation. They're anything but hip.
The Muppets are, and have always been, extremely "hip." I think they're as relevant today as they were when they were at their peak! Not throwbacks to another generation, but something to be passed down through the generations. Mickey Mouse is hardly considered a "throwback," and neither should Kermit the Frog.

I've quoted this before, but I'll quote it again. "Hip isn't what you do, it's how you do it." That's what Coolio, someone that many would consider to be a "hip" person, said about the Muppets.

I do believe this special is a good thing, though I'm afraid I disagree with you as to why that's so.

And, boy, am I sick of the word "hip" now! It's time for a replacement of that word... Get it? A "hip" replacement? Wah-ha ha!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets are, and have always been, extremely "hip." I think they're as relevant today as they were when they were at their peak! Not throwbacks to another generation, but something to be passed down through the generations. Mickey Mouse is hardly considered a "throwback," and neither should Kermit the Frog.
AWwww forget this guy. If he doesn't like puppets so much, why the frig does he even post here.

And DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE.....

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
AWwww forget this guy. If he doesn't like puppets so much, why the frig does he even post here.

And DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE.....
Agreed! And even though I love puppetry I see the Muppets as characters, personalities not puppets. I just don't usually think of them that way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not that he doesn't have a couple good points... and only a couple, mind you... but we have to realize one thing. What's hip now and new isn't going to be around forever. Zach and Cody's career will deteriorate faster than a Fozzie Puppet.

I can't stand how everyone has to do something because it's the latest thing. It WAS the latest thing, now since everyone's doing it, it's the only thing. And that's why everything sucks now. no variety. nothing's different, and everything looks the same.

Maybe a couple old "relics" should be dusted off. If anything, they'll stand out in a see of movies where flies go to the moon, monkeys go to the moon, and various wisecracking B-list celebrity voiced random animals go to the moon.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
this may have already been answered but i havent found it

watching the commercials im confused is it a disney channel special feturing the muppets or a muppets special featuring the disney channel "stars"....im seeing the second because every clip so far has had the muppets in it.....WHICH IS AWESOME

Super Scooter

Reaction score
watching the commercials im confused is it a disney channel special feturing the muppets or a muppets special featuring the disney channel "stars"....im seeing the second because every clip so far has had the muppets in it.....WHICH IS AWESOME
I think it's intended as both. Pretty much equal for both parties.

I like that they're returning to the variety show format. That's a pretty much extinct form of television. And one that I like. The Muppet Show and The Carol Burnett Show were probably the last of the variety show, and it's neat to see the Muppets returning to that.

Luke

Reaction score
Personally, I don't know if tweens are ever going to go for them, given that most kids today don't.
Agreed, its just what kids are either used to or even remotely want nowdays - they'll certainly never be main Disney tween stars. They just aren't as relevant today as they once were, neither is Mickey Mouse, Fraggle Rock, Winnie The Pooh, My Little Pony, Smurfs etc. Some of those things can be redeveloped for the easier pre-school market (which thankfully doesn't really work with Muppets because they cant change the characters and the wit is a bit too sharp) or put out as one off films, or marketed the heck out of for a quick hit but they will never be the same. The only one thats been successful really are action hero type things and Transformers that they turned into an action movie. I think there is a chance the Muppets can be made a little more attractive to kids and also they can re-build up the family audience and do seasonal movies and TV shows that will get reasonable figures if promoted enough, but yes, i doubt even Disney think they will set the world on fire - they didnt even buy them for that. They just bought them for the distribution and licensing. So all that said, they're doing pretty well what with over a million people viewing a Beaker Youtube video.

As for Studio DC. I do think they are quite lucky to have been given the special (infact, a series of specials) and have these kid stars desperately trying to put them over - but the format just doesn't sit comfortable for them, it all looks awkward and the script especially seems a bit wooden ... at least from what we've seen. Maybe just doing a special one off TMS could have worked better and have been hyped as a classic thing but then kids don't know who they are, and it'd probably still seem out of place. I tend to think the only thing that could catch on is a sketch show on their own that was very well written and possibly get families to go see the movie (if there was a Disney teen in a supporting role). I always thought Americas Next Muppet on ABC was their best chance and they blew it, the format would have got people and the press's attention and if it was funny enough they might have got into it, stayed watching, voted.

Status
Not open for further replies.