Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Problem is, the guy can draw some of them good, but he clearly takes some into his own style a little too far. I admit, I'm Lovin'g his Bunsen and Sweetums, and most of the Space Pigs. But Gonzo and Kermit are way too stylized.

HOWEVER... looking at the last page, you can clearly see the unpublished Disney Adventures comics are collected in here. I wonder if more of these were intended for the magazine before they folded.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The only characters at the moment that I have any major issue with is Gonzo and Kermit. That Gonzo saddens me. He should not look like that. And Kermit... doesn't really look like Kermit. I like the design if it were an original character, but it's Kermit.

I just hope some of our negative comments aren't read as disinterest in the series. But the comic does need some improvements.

I am very excited about a new Muppet comic, and will likely buy all of them. But the designs of Gonzo and Kermit need a lot of work. Hopefully they'll use several different artists on this.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I agree with almost everything said so far, but one thing I DO really like: the "At the Dance" scene. It's a very nice layout and a great way to capture the essence of those segments on the show and at the same time show it from a new angle. If that level of innovation can be combined with some sharper, more fan-friendly art, then this series will be gold.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with almost everything said so far, but one thing I DO really like: the "At the Dance" scene. It's a very nice layout and a great way to capture the essence of those segments on the show and at the same time show it from a new angle.

I think it's handled well. At The Dance is tricky to translate into a comic (trust me... I've tried). The main concern I have is how do sketches translate into a comic book page? Pigs in Space, Bear on Patrol, and even Vets Hospital are pretty easy to convert.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
One thing that I wonder is that with the sale of these first four Muppet Show comics. Are they going to release the Muppet Show season four to help boost the comic. Or some stores could do a great sale where when you buy the comic you get a discount on any of the already released Muppet Show DVD's. Just a Thought.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I think that This guy (C. H. Greenblatt, creator of Chowder, and former storyboard artist of Spongebob and Billy and Mandy) should do a couple one page gags.... It's not perfect realism, but I like how loose his style is.

I think this comic should have ALL styles... simplistic, cartoonish, realistic, stark graphic... it shouldn't fall on the responsibility of one guy. Get as many cartoonists and comic book people as possible on this project.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The images were really small for me to see on my laptop, but...um...

They aren't horrible drawings, but definitely less than I expected. Pigs in Space looks good to me (isn't that the same thing for the Disney Adventures?), but I agree with some sentiments about other characters. I mean--What have they done to Gonzo?

The Muppets are stylized already and don't need to be stylized to garner attention. They have a look that is expected of them and don't need to be changed to fit someone's particular style.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets are stylized already and don't need to be stylized to garner attention. They have a look that is expected of them and don't need to be changed to fit someone's particular style.

Of course... it could also be the style of the artist, and the one he's most comfortable with. If they were doing it to get attention, they'd turn it into what a 50 year old out of touch board room member thinks is anime (E.i. look at what the Looney Tunes turned into in 2005-2006).

I wish I could think up a better example of what I'm talking about... Oh wait... I got one..

TMNT Turtle Soup

Issue 1

Issue 2

Issue 3

An Anthology comic featuring different artists and writers. That's what the Muppet comics need to be. Look at how many different TMNT styles there was there..... cartoony, stark graphic, ultrarealism, and of course, the original style. There's room for ALL sorts of cartoonists to work on here... as long as Disney lets them.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
They aren't horrible drawings, but definitely less than I expected. Pigs in Space looks good to me (isn't that the same thing for the Disney Adventures?), but I agree with some sentiments about other characters. I mean--What have they done to Gonzo?

I agree. I do like the style, but it doesn't translate well to some of the Muppet characters.

And whenever I see that Gonzo, it makes me think, "MmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmm!" :scary:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree. I do like the style, but it doesn't translate well to some of the Muppet characters.

And whenever I see that Gonzo, it makes me think, "MmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmm!" :scary:
I agree. That is on-the-nose...or whatever that weird beak is on Gonzo's face passing for his nose. :concern:

"Gelfling friend!" :scary:

Status
Not open for further replies.