Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score

dwayne1115

Reaction score
How in the world did they get the rights to draw or whatever for Ernie & Bert? Unless they did them as specal gusts of the Muppet show, then I don't even see how they could even draw them as background chariturs. Can anyone explain?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
How in the world did they get the rights to draw or whatever for Ernie & Bert? Unless they did them as specal gusts of the Muppet show, then I don't even see how they could even draw them as background chariturs. Can anyone explain?
The minor background characters on the cover certainly resemble Bert and Ernie. Those two characters were probably created as a homage to the famous Sesame Street duo, and they are clearly "Bert and Ernie"-types. But legally they are not Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street; and BOOM! isn't going to market these books with a big "Featuring Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street" sticker on the cover or use the trademarked names and logos or major uses of such characters (unless they get permission for the various rights).

It's the same principle that allows "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy" to have characters that resemble the Muppets or Sesame Street characters appear on their programs. Legally these guys aren't the real Bert and Ernie of Sesame Street. The only way they could get in trouble for these "Bert and Ernie"-like characters is if Sesame Workshop can prove that the characters in these comics infringe on their use of the characters and harm the integrity of the real characters, or if BOOM's use of such character can be proven to be misleading consumers and negatively impacting Sesame's brand and/or harming their business. A little homage or parody like this is legally fine.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Comic book artists often wink at the work of others and characters outside the world of their particular project. So, it's not an appearance as much as a representative wink at pop cultures most famous roommates. :stick_out_tongue::frown:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The minor background characters on the cover certainly resemble Bert and Ernie. Those two characters were probably created as a homage to the famous Sesame Street duo, and they are clearly "Bert and Ernie"-types. But legally they are not Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street; and BOOM! isn't going to market these books with a big "Featuring Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street" sticker on the cover or use the trademarked names and logos or major uses of such characters (unless they get permission for the various rights).

It's the same principle that allows "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy" to have characters that resemble the Muppets or Sesame Street characters appear on their programs. Legally these guys aren't the real Bert and Ernie of Sesame Street. The only way they could get in trouble for these "Bert and Ernie"-like characters is if Sesame Workshop can prove that the characters in these comics infringe on their use of the characters and harm the integrity of the real characters, or if BOOM's use of such character can be proven to be misleading consumers and negatively impacting Sesame's brand and/or harming their business. A little homage or parody like this is legally fine.
Greg,
You are very educated on the matter of this and so much other things You sir are truly a Muppet Guru!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Comic book artists often wink at the work of others and characters outside the world of their particular project. So, it's not an appearance as much as a representative wink at pop cultures most famous roommates. :stick_out_tongue::frown:
I really wish I had some way to post a Mighty mouse Marvel Comics cover that's a parody of "Crisis on Infinite Earths." They have ALL these cartoon characters not owned by Terrytoons or Marvel drawn on the cover. I swear I saw Rocky The Flying Squirrel, Cecil the Seasick Sea serpent, and Underdog among others....

Same reason why MAD magazine can draw whoever and whatever they want.

besides, only Bert is clearly visible.

muppet baby

Reaction score
i am a big comic fan and this is going to be so wonderful i can not wait .

I really hope that i can get a subscription , and have that last a long time .

The muppet show comics are going to be so good for the sake of maybe we can have some guest stars in them just like the show was .

I wonder what the covers will look like for the first couple of issues ?

:smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It would be grat if we had news of The Muppet Show Season 4 close to one of these releseses!

Status
Not open for further replies.