Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Drtooth

Reaction score
The seasons over already? I only saw a few eps. I'll have to keep checking on You Tube or the TV listings for repeats. Seems like I missed quite a bit.
Already? If they ran the episodes the whole way through, no repeats in the middle, we wouldv'e been through with the season sometime in September.

So here's my post season wrap up...

It had a lot of strong episodes, that's for sure... but did we need that many "Let's read a story and act it out" stories. And we had a lot of random competition days as well.. The Most hats on their head day, the 6 Day Games, the Bird Games, and (if it counts) Telly being on that game show.

And most of the episodes focused on Baby Bear and Telly. I still wonder why they're not on any merchandise outside of the odd coloring book.

And I really think Mine-itis should have been the season finale. They had a strong opening, doing a parody of something that was bound to have been the hit movie of the summer (Considering they filmed this about last year or so), Indiana Jones. I would have loved to have seen more episodes like that, Sock Chaos, and Super Hero Elmo, and less of the weaker read a story story lines.

I think it was also painfully obvious that Ernie and Bert and Murray should have alternated with each other. Every Murray was used twice, and they seem to be hiding away some of the Ernies for next year. Don't get me wrong. I love the new Murray segment. I think the guessing game intro goes on way too long (though I'm at a loss as to have it cut). The fact they took a muppet out on the streets, ala Uncle Traveling Matt was pure brilliance. And it took care of so much... the Spanish words of the day, talk to kids segments... etc...

And we saw a lot of rare stuff from the 90's... the Z zone,Noodles and Ned, Annie Eyeball... but we also saw a lot of junk from that period too... mainly the mural paintings (yawn) and the dancing animal animations (and we only got one of the rhythmic ones that were the only really good ones they did).

We did seem to lose a lot of Muppet segments though, with it, we saw less of Cookie Monster and Grover. but we really saw more Big Bird than last year (hard to say that we've seen the most of him in years, we USED to have a segment with him every episode).

And do we really need to shove yoga down kid's throats like that? I can't stand hearing about Mommy and Me Yoga (slash Yuppie brain washing) class, and they brought it to SS? Even worse than when they started saying "Play Date".

We saw the return of Mr. Johnson, Wolfgang the seal, and (most importantly, after almost 20 years) Guy Smiley.

And Abby wasn't used all that much this season in the street segments.

But I have to say, I'm really liking Leela. She really seems to be accustomed to the series so far (Chris really dived right in last year, and fit in immediately). yeah, Leela's the kind of cute that she'd be modestly hot if she wasn't in a kid's show... :flirt:

The TV parodies were great. I still wish they made more than one Special Letters Unit. but Preschool Musical was Disney getting SERVED! I seriously reiterate that.

Oh, and I really hated those nervous writer on a lap top segments. It's funnier if you're trying to write a novel, and never finishing it, I suppose.

And what's up with those how to segments in the last 3 episodes? They really seem out of place.

And we got, what? 2 new Elmo's worlds this entire season? No wonder they tried to do away with it last year.

So, I have to say, it was a good season. There was a lot keeping it from being a great season...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Ya' know what I just noticed? We actually didn't see "Don't Know Y" this season! We've been seeing it every season since season 35.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't know Y we haven't seen it this season? I wonder just Y Exactly that is?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think it was also painfully obvious that Ernie and Bert and Murray should have alternated with each other. Every Murray was used twice, and they seem to be hiding away some of the Ernies for next year. Don't get me wrong. I love the new Murray segment. I think the guessing game intro goes on way too long (though I'm at a loss as to have it cut). The fact they took a muppet out on the streets, ala Uncle Traveling Matt was pure brilliance. And it took care of so much... the Spanish words of the day, talk to kids segments... etc...
I agree with that. It seems like the Murray segment appeared in every ep which really wasn't necessary considering they played them twice. If they don't have enough ideas on that for a full season, it probably shouldn't appear in every episode. Hopefully that's something they'll improve on next season. So far in my viewing of season 39, I only saw two 'Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures.' Maybe that one should have been played more frequently than 'Murray had a Little Lamb.' Just a thought, but it still would be good to see more skits with the classic Muppet Bert and Ernie that we know and love, especially if they replay the old skits.

I saw the cheerleader episode for the first time today, I thought that episode was sort of fair. Though it's rare to see male cheerleaders, I wonder if it would have been better if it had been Rosita, Zoe and Abby rather than Elmo, Zoe and Telly. Just something I was thinking about. It's also good to know that Maria is still in the fixing business. Has the Fix-It Shop been shown at all this season or was that the only reference so far? Just wondering about that. The segment with Oscar and Mike whatshisname was pretty good as well. I guess it's been a while since we've seen Oscar's pet pig Spot.

meok

Reaction score
Season 39 edited on my station

Hi, all. I live in Barbados, (in the Caribbean) and Sesame Street seasons in this country are usually identical to those in the USA, but the Season 39 we're receiving has no "Murry Has A Little Lamb" segments. They have all been replaced with "Global Grover" segments, which are significantly shorter, and so the episodes are a little shorter. I don't see this as a bad thing, but was just surprised that we got an altered version.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you ignore it, maybe it'll go away.

Anyway:

Hi, all. I live in Barbados, (in the Caribbean) and Sesame Street seasons in this country are usually identical to those in the USA, but the Season 39 we're receiving has no "Murry Has A Little Lamb" segments. They have all been replaced with "Global Grover" segments, which are significantly shorter, and so the episodes are a little shorter. I don't see this as a bad thing, but was just surprised that we got an altered version.
That is seriously interesting. Now, I have a couple follow up question for you...

in Barbados, do they air Sesame as it's intended, without commercial interruptions? If they did, it might have something to do with it. And do you have regular Sesame Street or "Open Sesame" (a collection of skits shown in other countries, sometimes dubbed)?

If not, I don't know what to say... unless someone at SW or your station doesn't think the Murray segments are relatable (it's a stretch and a shot in the dark) and they had a specifically altered version for you.