Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't think there is any real danger of it not lasting, it has been around for a generation or two or three already after all :3

Yeah, where has Grover been lately, same with Prarie Dawn. I don't see why there isn't more Grover, He is probably one of the funniest SS characters. To see more of him would be great!
I really miss him, he is so witty and smart :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Actually, Grover appeared quite often this season. Much moreso than Prairie, who was only in 3 episodes (not counting EW). I'm surprised on how little Cookie Monster we saw; he only had brief cameos in 3 of the episodes, one of segment staring him was shown and the only time he was on screen for long was the Cookie Touch episode.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Actually, Grover appeared quite often this season. Much moreso than Prairie, who was only in 3 episodes (not counting EW). I'm surprised on how little Cookie Monster we saw; he only had brief cameos in 3 of the episodes, one of segment staring him was shown and the only time he was on screen for long was the Cookie Touch episode.
Appearing and being the main character of an episode are two different things though :wink:.
If a character appears, but the main focus to solve the trouble of the day still goes to Elmo it doesn't count as their story to me:coy:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Appearing and being the main character of an episode are two different things though :wink:.
If a character appears, but the main focus to solve the trouble of the day still goes to Elmo it doesn't count as their story to me:coy:
I agree. Why doesn't somebody we see less often then Elmo, Like The Count solve more problems with the power of MATH:batty:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree. Why doesn't somebody we see less often then Elmo, Like The Count solve more problems with the power of MATH:batty:
*lol* That would be a both a powerful thing to use and an evil one if it fell into the wrong hands:batty:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
*lol* That would be a both a powerful thing to use and an evil one if it fell into the wrong hands:batty:
*Dun Duh* "Guess what Elmo is thinking about today! Thats Right, Math, the most boring thing to ever cross the earth! Now let's count the numbers that make up Pi :3.14159265358979323846 26433....."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really think both Elmo and Abby need to be toned down, they are nearly running SS on the muppet level IMHO :\. I would love to see (I know, I know, 'SS isn't for you' but a girl can dream can't she?) a whole street story that focused on Big Bird or Snuffy for once..or maybe even Grover..after all, he's not that much older than them..and..and..he's fuzzy :3
I think they're still trying to work out Abby's role in the series. She's positively plastered on merchandising, and SW really wants to get their money's worth for all the buzz planting and hype they had to give the character. I think they've just about toned her down to a main character level (the level of Telly, Baby Bear, Rosita, Zoe... etc) and she isn't quite as over done as Elmo is. I think that first season with her is the worst of the character because they didn't get all the bugs out. The first episode she was in, they didn't explore her as a character, they explored her as a marketing item... every other thing that came out of her mouth was a ready for t-shirt catchphrase. I'm glad to see they
re trying harder to make her something more than a pasted in concept, and it's almost there...

I, for one, liked Leela's intro episode best: it had plenty of Muppet supporting cast in the main story, but the real focus was on a human character (pretty rare today) and on the Street as a whole (even rarer). The references appealed to both preschool children (Prairie trying to stop Cookie Monster) and nostalgic adults (Leela's remark that "[n]othing says 'Sesame Street' like an eight-foot bird singing the alphabet"). If the Workshop could keep writing plots that balanced most of Sesame Street's highlights that way--I'd bet that it would last another ten seasons at least!
I really enjoyed that too, and more on a different level. When characters are usually introduced to Sesame Street, they always have to meet every single character and then keep turning to the camera and saying something to the extent of "this place is so extraordinary" every time they meet a character. And then they have to meet Oscar, which always ammounts to what we all know, Oscar is a Grouch. I'm so glad they already settled Leela in. The fact that she's not being introduced to Sesame Street so much as introducing it herself was a brilliant twist.

I also must note... they FINALLY learned the art of subtlety when it comes to stressed segments of the curriculum.... Wasn't there a math focus this year? You almost couldn't tell. They didn't shove Math into each and every available crevice and say, "we're teaching math!" every five minutes, the way they've been doing with the health initiative and Word of the Day bits. We had them blended into some of the street segments... Number 6 day, The Hat Counting competition, Max the Magician. Now if they only did that with fruits and vegetables, we wouldn't have so many useless segments like "the Veggie Dance" and that stupid skit about the girl who ate a banana and the girl that ate cake (both unfortunately seen this season).

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I was watching Episode 4140 today (yeah I know, not a season 39 one) but Zoe said "Don't Joke me", to Abby, which brings me to the point. How long has it been since she had last said that catchphrase! I reckon that ep. did have clever writing, as I laughed myself stupid over it.:insatiable:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It has been awhile since she said that. She also said it in the Lamberena segment in the season 39 finale.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Well i tried to record on my DVR Dish Network thingy to see the "Magic" episode (with the dude who's does magic) of this season and once again my DVR skipped it. I'm never going to see that episode ever. I'm really mad. I was so hoping to get this recorded so i could watch it and get back to recording onto my DVDs and i still can't. This is episode is going to be the death of me. *pouts*