Coraline: Animated Movie (2009)

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
This movie looks like it is going to be amazing. I never read the book, though one of the girls I used to babysit said she did and really liked it. Anyway, I hope I'll be able to see this.

I agree that children deserve to have entertainment that is against the mold and not necessarily bright and cheerful.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was the makers of Coraline intended, but now I want to watch The Wizard of Oz again, lol.
"Be Careful What You Wish For..." is the marketing slogan for the film. The book (I have a few pages left) is about one girl's struggle to fight for the family and the life she once took for granted because it seemed less than ideal. This life in the real world had been stolen from her by an impostor with an agenda of her/its own. Basically Coraline is a bored, lonely and unsatisfied girl who is tired of being ignored. This leads her to an exploration that yields this frightful adventure. The protagonist isn't a sunshiny peach. She somewhat deserves being cast into this predicament. However, her decisions and actions can make her worthy of overcoming it. It is a grass is always greener story, but not so preachy and saccharine. I think that's the issue a handful of people are having with the picture. You aren't necessarily supposed to fall in love with Coraline. If this story is for kids at all it is for the independent thinkers that can tear away from the typical expectations and entitlements provided by most movies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think that's the issue a handful of people are having with the picture. You aren't necessarily supposed to fall in love with Coraline.
And that's great; it takes a strong story to create a main character that's unlikeable in some ways, but at the same time we still root for her. Most movies are afraid to do that. It's not an easy thing to pull off.

this story is for kids at all it is for the independent thinkers that can tear away from the typical expectations and entitlements provided by most movies.
I do hope it inspires some kids who are feeling misunderstood and left out. At the same time, I hope it also inspires them to realize that there is good in the world and they don't have to drop out completely. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Man, I wanna see this movie. But unfortunatly, our local theater isnt playing it. And the nearest theater that probably is playing it is a good hour away -_- blah

Drtooth

Reaction score
So many darn critics are talking about the darkness of it and kids. Some smaller minds out there seem to think that films should either be made bubblegum sweet for the kiddies or dusty and dry for the old codgers.
Sugary sweet for kiddies with fart jokes, obvious celebrities, and talking dogs from da hood. :insatiable: Seriously, anyone see those commercials for Air Buddies in Space? They really look like an out of touch 50 year old wrote it.

When it comes to something clever, I have faith kids would want to see it. Look at Ratatouille... sure, it wasn't a super smash hit, and the merchandise went straight to clearance... but we had a film that was basically like... I dunno... Sideways Jr. Something with gourmand speak, and like a comic routine on that sort of stuff with sharp parody of the gourmet world. The scene where the dead chef's likeness was plastered all over "gourmet" food, wearing racist Asian head gear, and cowboy stereotypes... selling things like corn dogs (which the shifty chef had to explain was an American snack food). I mean, that's some sharp writing. And that movie was also pretty dark, and had a bittersweet ending.

The Incredibles was also very dark humor. The main plot was a super villain that wanted to kill all the super heroes so he could swoop in and save the day, because of a massive psychological trauma that twisted him. And the No capes joke was just... really really dark humor.

On to my next subject... when can we expect Hot Topic to be flooded with Coraline merchandise that all the goth and emo posers are gonna buy up? :stick_out_tongue:

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
My 12 year old brother wants to see the one in 3D and he wants me to take him. He says he read the book and I have no clue what he talks about! haha.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I finished the fantastic book. This is one of the few adaptations that will require additional story elements in order to fill 100 minutes of screen time. The book is a very swift and wonderful read. It will be interesting to hear the perspectives on the invented character Wybie. There is a great deal of darkness to the story that appear to have been kept in the film.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
So, basically, Coraline is Sarah?

Actually, the previews alone make me think "Mirrormask" more than "Labyrinth."

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
It's funny, reading this thread made me think of Labyrinth, too! The story doesn't sound the same, maybe a few similarities, but the proposed message kind of does. Never saw Mirror Mask, so I couldn't say.
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I saw it on youtube. The tone of Mirrormask is closer to this movie, by the looks of it. Mirrormask was also heavy into weird art/puppets and stuff.