Coraline: Animated Movie (2009)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's finally coming out!

I have to work this weekend so I'll probably put off seeing it until mid next week. I have a few chapters to go until the end of the book. I suggest reading Neil Gaiman's rare, dark and disturbing treat before viewing the film. It's a short and easy read. I will give nothing away here, so don't worry. I don't do spoilers unless there is ample warning. No spoilers here.

Apparently there were some changes made - the door is a smaller "drawn" door in the movie while the book describes it as a bricked up regular sized real door. That doesn't bug me. They also invented a neighbor boy Wybie. I find him unnecessary because she does have a cat companion in both worlds; however it has been said that he's been added to inject a little male appeal. They haven't smoothed out Coraline's off-putting attitude or her precocious personality. I think Wybie is also intended to lighten up the audience's perspective so Coraline can remain the difficult child she is in the book. Also it appears that there are no longer rats in the other world, just bad mice juxtaposed to the good mice in the real world. The rest of the changes appear to be expansions like the garden outside the house.

This film is directed by Henry Selick - - the real genius behind Nightmare Before Christmas. Tim Burton provided the conceptual art and initial idea/poem, but it was Selick that created, lived and breathed that film with very little credit! Now the world will be able to decipher just what was his and what was Burton's. Selick also directed James & the Giant Peach. He was also a Disney animator in the 70s and is the guy responsible for many of MTV's animated station ID promos in its very early years (back when it was a good channel that played music videos). He is an unsung artist who is about to finally get the praise he deserves. It is my hope that this is the good film that wins the Animated Picture Oscar next year. That is, if it's really as good as the raves it has received.

Most of the negative critiques have to do with Coraline being too dark for children. One even went so far as to suggest giving the lead character some colorful friends and to alter all the evil bits into a big misunderstanding. Ugh! Why must some people see animation with a kids-only or kids-first agenda? Especially a critic! I'm so tired of everything being sanded down for the children - and I'm proud of the makers of this film for not doing that. Besides - most kids like to be a little scared. I did.

Anyway...who's excited?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Most of the negative critiques have to do with Coraline being too dark for children. One even went so far as to suggest giving the lead character some colorful friends and to alter all the evil bits into a big misunderstanding. Ugh! Why must some people see animation with a kids-only or kids-first agenda? Especially a critic! I'm so tired of everything being sanded down for the children - and I'm proud of the makers of this film for not doing that. Besides - most kids like to be a little scared. I did.
Exactly... in fact, I think a lot of children's shows and movies are written much, much sharper than people realize. Jimmy Neutron had an episode where he invented a Salesman robot called the "Willy Loman 3000" (or something to that extent), Powerpuff Girls did a dead on spoof of it's older fanbase (as did Tiny Toons and Animaniacs), and even the new Spectacular Spider-Man has rigid continuity, with small things happening in one episode that carry out to big things in later episodes, in a sense, rewarding paying attention to details.

Even the movie Igor was pretty macabre... one of the main characters was a immortal rabbit who was constantly trying to kill himself. And it was played for laughs (and Steve Buschemi made it work). If there's anything darker than that, I would like to know.

Putting aside how I loathe, appall, detest, and invariably get nauseated by the idea that animation is for kids, people have to stop treating kids like mindless little fluff balls that cry whenever there's a loud noise or the house gets dark. Kids have a LOT to deal with, and it is very, very, very tough. If they can survive going to school, pounding out busy work, and dealing with the rotten kids everyday, they can take a fictitious, unhappy looking story. In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't prefer it. There is a lot of things in the world they need to protect kids from, cartoons and movies aren't one of them... (well... there are kinds of movies, and we all know what they are...)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is quite frustrating and disturbing how so many adults have the attitude that children need to be protected and only exposed to "happy bright" things. It's that kind of attitude that can lead to prejudice later in life of things that are outside the norm. Either that or the kid decides to rebel later on and watch truly awful things, heh.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is quite frustrating and disturbing how so many adults have the attitude that children need to be protected and only exposed to "happy bright" things. It's that kind of attitude that can lead to prejudice later in life of things that are outside the norm. Either that or the kid decides to rebel later on and watch truly awful things, heh.
Evidently Neil Gaiman has chimed in with this little tidbit:

"Coraline reviews are appearing at Rotten Tomatoes (84% fresh right now): I was thrilled to see that we got an A in Entertainment Weekly for example, but
[this] is, so far my favourite review of Coraline. It's the kind of review that would have had me tunnelling out of my bedroom in order to see the film, when I was a kid."

So many darn critics are talking about the darkness of it and kids. Some smaller minds out there seem to think that films should either be made bubblegum sweet for the kiddies or dusty and dry for the old codgers. There is such a world of varied colors and delights between those two things. It's always nice to hear praise about projects one likes from people of all sorts. Critics are rarely satisfied - either pictures are too formulaic or not cookie-cutter enough. There's no winning and it appears that the filmmakers didn't even try. They just set out to make a good picture and had faith in the market for it. We will see this weekend. Keep in mind it is playing in both standard and 3D theaters. This is the first stop-motion animated feature ever created for 3D. I hear its use is beautifully utilized, but not over-done.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I also like the story's message, it sort of reminds of The Wizard of Oz. That life is difficult and often boring, but running away and trying to escape to a better world isn't the perfect solution. No matter where you go, there will be problems. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I also like the story's message, it sort of reminds of The Wizard of Oz. That life is difficult and often boring, but running away and trying to escape to a better world isn't the perfect solution. No matter where you go, there will be problems. :smile:
Yup. I always get annoyed with the idea that people can make completely fresh starts. Our history is important to us and should be respected (both the good and the bad bits). We can always grow, but nothing is ever completely left behind. Our terms of dealing with certain areas of our lives are what change. One could travel to the moon alone and nekkid; eventually the baggage we left will arrive on a later flight like an annoying little homing pigeon. I've named mine Herb. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean I think history should be seen as a friend that assists in our development. It's not something that should be held over our heads, but neither should it be forgotten. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I mean I think history should be seen as a friend that assists in our development. It's not something that should be held over our heads, but neither should it be forgotten. :smile:
I agree. The grass is always greener until it tries to sew buttons into your eye sockets! :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was the makers of Coraline intended, but now I want to watch The Wizard of Oz again, lol.