Coraline: Animated Movie (2009)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And of course we have the Other Mother coaxing Coraline to have buttons sewn in her eyes in order to stay in the toxic candy coated world she has created. It is rumored that this part was written as Neil Gaiman's misgivings of having been raised by Scientologists, but that is not confirmed. It would make sense.
That would explain a lot, wouldn't it? :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I must rant...

I have long held that (what I personally consider to be) disposable Disney dreck is harmless and necessary to increase company profits so that they can invest in endeavors of greater quality. I have sat by and bit my tongue through Hannah Montana, High School Musical and the cynically pandering lineup of Disney Channel programming in full knowledge that those projects are intended for children. They aren't for me and isn't it nice to have them stuffed away all in one place where they can easily be avoided. Enter the Jonas Brothers...

The Coraline motion picture took many painstaking years to make in full knowledge that it was still a niche sort of film that wouldn't pander to the kiddies. I'm stoked. And it performed particularly well up until the Jonas Brothers bomb took over many of Coraline's 3D theaters. There are a limited number of these theaters. The Jonas film played to a mostly empty house and booted potential moviegoers from Selick's truly unique and special experience thus prematurely pruning the film's continued success. In other words - the Jonas Brothers' film is toxic.

I have nothing against the Jonas', Montanas or Tween Grease...I mean High School Musical people. They work hard, but right now I just see their films as box office bullies - and this latest project is a poorly performing bully at that. :mad: <---angry Piggy

Rant over...if you haven't seen it yet - go see Coraline. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a masterpiece that isn't dumbed-down for the ritalin-popping masses. :sympathy:

Pork

Reaction score
When does Coraline come out in Cinemas in Australia? or have I missed it?

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
When does Coraline come out in Cinemas in Australia? or have I missed it?
It doesn't come out for a while, or we missed it. I think we missed it cause there wasn't much promotion, and I haven't seen any for some time here.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Coraline will reach Australia on May 7th. You haven't missed it. :flirt: It still has yet to hit the UK too (on the 8th).

Of course, you'll have to deal with the Jonas Brothers a week after that. :grouchy:

Pork

Reaction score
Yay! We havn't missed ti *dances*
*realises she's at Uni*
*stops dancing*
But the 7th of May is ages away :frown: oh Crumbs.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Coraline will reach Australia on May 7th. You haven't missed it. :flirt: It still has yet to hit the UK too (on the 8th).

Of course, you'll have to deal with the Jonas Brothers a week after that. :grouchy:
Judging by that, I'll be the doomsaying one right outside the cinema.:batty:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have long held that (what I personally consider to be) disposable Disney dreck is harmless and necessary to increase company profits so that they can invest in endeavors of greater quality. I have sat by and bit my tongue through Hannah Montana, High School Musical and the cynically pandering lineup of Disney Channel programming in full knowledge that those projects are intended for children. They aren't for me and isn't it nice to have them stuffed away all in one place where they can easily be avoided. Enter the Jonas Brothers...

The Coraline motion picture took many painstaking years to make in full knowledge that it was still a niche sort of film that wouldn't pander to the kiddies. I'm stoked. And it performed particularly well up until the Jonas Brothers bomb took over many of Coraline's 3D theaters. There are a limited number of these theaters. The Jonas film played to a mostly empty house and booted potential moviegoers from Selick's truly unique and special experience thus prematurely pruning the film's continued success. In other words - the Jonas Brothers' film is toxic.
Can I just say I saw the thing at a little Ghetto theater that looked like what they said in Seinfeld, a POW camp room where they show propaganda films... hey, I'm cheap. But even without the amazing 3-D I thought it was absolutely wonderful, and just a beautifully crafted film all around. If screaming twits...errr... tweens want to rob themselves of such an experience to see what is essentially the Monkees (sans Any of their wit or charm) then fine with me.

I have nothing against the Jonas', Montanas or Tween Grease...I mean High School Musical people. They work hard, but right now I just see their films as box office bullies - and this latest project is a poorly performing bully at that. :mad: <---angry Piggy
Honestly, I would have no problem whatsoever if these sort of things were popular but stayed to themselves. But these shows are slimy dripping tentacles that reached out and strangled the competition leaving it pallid and useless. Kinda reminds me of that Simpsons episode with the Funzos, and how they were out to destroy every other toy on the market. That's what these shows do. Nickelodeon is making knockoff similar programming, and Cartoon Network, while it considered doing so as well (thank Frog that Out of Jimmy's Head bombed), chopped off half its programming and put movies from the 1980's-2003 in its stead. These shows did a lot of damage, so I wouldn't be surprised if Coraline was still in theaters at all with these things....

Though, I did tend to notice that these shows may be waring out their welcome.... I've seen nothing but Camp Rock, HSM, and HM merchandise on 90% off clearance since Halloween.....

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I might actually get to see Coraline after all! Our local theater (that lpays one movie at a time) is showing it next week! Its not the 3D version, but thats ok. I'm just glad I'm gonna have a chance to see it :big_grin:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
It is just about to come out over here. Tommorow I am going to ask my friend if she wants to see it with me.