Too old for Sesame Street

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Because he's cute :coy:. That's reason enough to love any muppet boy *lol*:big_grin:
Though I could do without the coporate over-saturation and over-monopolization of his character, because it is those things that have caused hatred towards Elmo & the Street in general.

I mean, the overuse of Elmo is why some sad people now showcase YouTube videos of them blowing up Tickle Me Elmo dolls, why these same people edit classic clips starring Elmo so that Elmo ends up mutilated in some way, and why these people get DeviantART accounts just so they can draw more pics of Elmo--as some of them have put it--"getting his just deserts".

It is during times like the above that I am saddened for Elmo & am even ashamed for defending him, because--aside from the people here--all other so-called fans seem to square the blame of the Street going down in popularity with older generations upon Elmo's three-year-old, furry and red shoulders when the glorification of his character is not the fault of either he or his performer, Kevin Clash.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
wwfpooh said:
It is during times like the above that I am saddened for Elmo & am even ashamed for defending him, because--aside from the people here--all other so-called fans seem to square the blame of the Street going down in popularity with older generations upon Elmo's three-year-old, furry and red shoulders when the glorification of his character is not the fault of either he or his performer, Kevin Clash.
Well, I, for one, would never be rude to Elmo if I met him. :halo:

Now, I might want a drink afterwards, but it's not his fault, like pooh said, that he's Sesame's new cash cow.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well especially public television, they need it more than most. :wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Yeah, but it doesn't mean they need to divide up fanbases or anything, does it?

ISNorden

Reaction score
Though I could do without the coporate over-saturation and over-monopolization of his character, because it is those things that have caused hatred towards Elmo & the Street in general.....[snippage]

It is during times like the above that I am saddened for Elmo & am even ashamed for defending him, because--aside from the people here--all other so-called fans seem to square the blame of the Street going down in popularity with older generations upon Elmo's three-year-old, furry and red shoulders when the glorification of his character is not the fault of either him or his performer, Kevin Clash.
I agree that Elmo's overexposure (not the character himself, or his performer) is ONE thing among several which have sent Sesame Street's quality down the drain. Sesame Workshop has been hit hard--by competing TV producers, a shrinking budget, and popular opinion about what preschoolers shouldn't learn from TV. None of those problems are the fault of any character/performer on the show; still, Elmo's dominant role makes it easy for detractors to turn him into the symbol of "everything that's wrong with Sesame Street these days".

RedPiggy

Reaction score
and popular opinion about what preschoolers shouldn't learn from TV
It's school, too. Schools and SS went from educating the young to pandering to their ignorant and sheltered parents.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's school, too. Schools and SS went from educating the young to pandering to their ignorant and sheltered parents.
*lol* I am not a parent yet but I am sheltered. But I just thought I would add my two cents and say that there are different levels of sheltered upbringing... and not all of us grow up to be ignorant tv and 'everything I watched when I was little is now magically evil' hating...people with little ones :coy:. Those people are crazy IMHO :frown:!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I'll concede to a little bit of spoilage too. :big_grin: However, it seems like some parents want their children to get good jobs, but without knowing anything. Most of my education was redundancy personified. If I didn't read stuff on my own as a hobby, I'd be drooling on some ... you know, I was going to finish that sentence but I'm sure I'd end up offending someone.

Anyway, case in point: Cookie Monster. Would it have been SO difficult for parents to explain to their kids that, as a cookie monster, he ate cookies all the time, though it wasn't safe for human kids ... just like birds eat worms but we don't go around eating that, dung beetles eat dung, etc. Why does he have to conform to human nutrition standards when he's not human?

Sigh. Rant over.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I read to get away from the world..and I still do :smile:. But even when I was little I knew that Cookie Monster and everything lived in a universe were he could do things I couldn't...

*grumbles about her ma never giving her cookies..or soda...or food coloring*
Although, there was that time I tried a radish for the first time because of fraggle rock..but that was different...Blah, I still hate the taste of radishes :stick_out_tongue: