Too old for Sesame Street

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Or better yet, we know that our appliances couldn't come to life and talk amongest themselves ala TBLT, though it'd be awesome if they could.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
What's a joke? Sesame Street is far from a joke.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Seeing the Elmo Rowl that happened before, I do think (and have preivously stated) that he is a bit of a revenue raiser, but if I met Elmo, I would not be disrespectful to either the puppet or Kevin. Heck, it would be fun to meet Elmo. But as a money magnet he brings in the funds and popularity for the rest of the show.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The point is that it's not Elmo or Kevin's fault that the character is a money maker.

ISNorden

Reaction score
The point is that it's not Elmo or Kevin's fault that the character is a money maker.
*nods sadly* If Sesame Workshop didn't have to worry so much about merchandising tie-ins to stay out of debt, maybe the producers wouldn't feel compelled to push the popular characters and neglect the others.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
*nods sadly* If Sesame Workshop didn't have to worry so much about merchandising tie-ins to stay out of debt, maybe the producers wouldn't feel compelled to push the popular characters and neglect the others.
But the plus side of this deal is that nowadays, unlike 1998-2007, Elmo is primarily regulated to his EW skit. Not that I don't like Elmo, but when he appears in his segment and in Street scenes, it's a little much, IMHO.

ISNorden

Reaction score
But the plus side of this deal is that nowadays, unlike 1998-2007, Elmo is primarily regulated to his EW skit. Not that I don't like Elmo, but when he appears in his segment and in Street scenes, it's a little much, IMHO.
Elmo has become less likable and less of a "team player" than he was in the 80s/early 90s. Still, I can hardly blame the character (or Kevin Clash) for that trend; the writers and producers are just adapting to Elmo as a superstar with his own regular show-in-a-show.

On the other hand, I agree that there is such a thing as using a character (even a good, popular one) too much in the same episode. Letting Elmo dominate a street story and get 20 minutes to himself is overkill, so I'm glad Sesame Workshop is trying to reverse the trend.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
the writers and producers are just adapting to Elmo as a superstar with his own regular show-in-a-show
Yeah, but that's basically encouraging the idea that the Street has become less of a family & more about Elmo, which is--quite frankly--a stupid notion, in all honesty.

Letting Elmo dominate a street story and get 20 minutes to himself is overkill, so I'm glad Sesame Workshop is trying to reverse the trend.
I think most old-school fans agree with this trend reversal (especially since EW itself can't seem to get removed for its own show in the U.S. like it has in European countries).

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
On the other hand, I agree that there is such a thing as using a character (even a good, popular one) too much in the same episode. Letting Elmo dominate a street story and get 20 minutes to himself is overkill, so I'm glad Sesame Workshop is trying to reverse the trend.
Yeah well, I think Elmo should be a little bit, not alot; more "öut there" so to speak, because quite frankly in recent seasons I think there has been too much Telly and Baby Bear as main male characters, and not enough of the others. The hat contest episode featured Elmo, but he shared the spotlight with Zoe. Female muppet-centric storylines are fine, as they have Rosita, Abby and Zoe all together, which works *because they're freinds*. Most characters get a decent story to themselves a season; but IHaven't seen Grover too central to a story recently.