TV Comeback for Muppets?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The creators of FR said that they never intended to have a specific demographic. Yes, the show appealed to kids, but given that said kids--us--had parents, the parents got involved, too.
I am just pointing out what Jim Henson said himself.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But Jim wasn't really involved with FR. He left it in the hands of Richard, Jerry, Karen, Dave, Steve, Kathryn, and all the rest. Heck, he only played Cantus and Convincing John, because they were special occassion-type characters, as he was working on Dark Crystal at the time FR was being produced.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
But Jim wasn't really involved with FR. He left it in the hands of Richard, Jerry, Karen, Dave, Steve, Kathryn, and all the rest. Heck, he only played Cantus and Convincing John, because they were special occassion-type characters, as he was working on Dark Crystal at the time FR was being produced.
No. He was involved in the creation of the show, but not much as the filming of the show. And Jim did mention in an interviews that he created Fraggle Rock for the rather large audience of kids who were watching The Muppet Show. In fact while pitching the show, he had children in mind Because he said we may not be able to reach the adults, but we can defiantly reach the kids.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But the DVDs have people involved in the show's making saying that they never had any initial demographic in mind.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No. He was involved in the creation of the show, but not much as the filming of the show. And Jim did mention in an interviews that he created Fraggle Rock for the rather large audience of kids who were watching The Muppet Show. In fact while pitching the show, he had children in mind Because he said we may not be able to reach the adults, but we can defiantly reach the kids.
That's exactly right. Jim created Fraggle Rock primarily as a children's program that would instill understanding and promote peace in the minds of the word's young people because they are the easiest to reach with this message. Of course, all of Jim's work was created for all ages to enjoy. That’s his special touch that is missing in most entertainment today. :coy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
We, given how we turned out I think it worked :excited:. I mean our generation my not be quite old enough to be running the world yet but when we do I think things will be a little bit better :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sadly, I think it is some of our own generation that's turned the world backwards and upside down, because we 20-somethings are running companies and stuff now. We Muppet fans are in the minority of 20-somethings (or older or younger, but mostly in the middle) that want quality change that doesn't benefit corporate businesses (i.e. businesses that--thanks to the aid of the government & our taxes--are using our hard-earned money to by that new yacht, that new expensive house in Hollywood, that amount of countless hours on TV to promote garbage on a stick that future generations eat up like pigs [sorry Miss Piggy], etc.).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Of course, all of Jim's work was created for all ages to enjoy. That’s his special touch that is missing in most entertainment today. :coy:
Right. Despite what the target audience a show was made for, it had something for every member of the family to enjoy. And I agee that that is missing in entertainment so much in now days market place.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Right. Despite what the target audience a show was made for, it had something for every member of the family to enjoy. And I agee that that is missing in entertainment so much in now days market place.
So how can we change things back so anybody can enjoy the products being put out?

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
I think the cross-generational appeal of the Henson creations is what draws all of us in like this. The stuff that attracted us as kids is equally as entertaining nowadays, and often moreso as we understand the LAYERS of humor that Jim and all of the muppeteers could interject in their writing and performances.:smile: