TV Comeback for Muppets?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
So how can we change things back so anybody can enjoy the products being put out?
Well nit it seems more and more that things are being targeted at particular age groups and young male demographics among many others and things like that. I mean these is money in dong that and unfortunately that is how things work now days in the land of television. It used to be that you needed just needed a large audience, not you need a large number off "all important" Like 18-49 groups and thing like that. It just that money is the main motivation more than it's ever been with all this focous.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I know. But how can we get people to see that money isn't everything if the product being shelled out (even with good ratings)--quite frankly--sucks?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I know. But how can we get people to see that money isn't everything if the product being shelled out (even with good ratings)--quite frankly--sucks?
Well, the problem is that peoples expectations have gotten much lower than they use to be and when you try to suggest something better they say 'it will never work because people aren't use to it'. But really, things were better before and they worked, tv viewers are actually smarter than tv shows let on under it all..you just have to find a great thinker who is willing to take real risks again to turn tv back into something with some actual thought behind it :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, the problem is that peoples expectations have gotten much lower than they use to be and when you try to suggest something better they say 'it will never work because people aren't use to it'. But really, things were better before and they worked, tv viewers are actually smarter than tv shows let on under it all..you just have to find a great thinker who is willing to take real risks again to turn tv back into something with some actual thought behind it :smile:
I agree with this especially as pertains to the Muppets. The idea got stuck out there that the Muppets were locked in a time warp and out of touch with current culture when the opposite is true. It’s just that people heard it so much they believed the negative PR. Some of their projects didn't help, but there's a core to Muppet humor that is evergreen. Also some casual fans will never get past Kermit and other characters sounding a little different. I would be as bold to say that it is these people that are locked in the past. The Muppets have moved beyond recasting and their new chemistry with audiences and each other is thriving.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree with this especially as pertains to the Muppets. The idea got stuck out there that the Muppets were locked in a time warp and out of touch with current culture when the opposite is true. It’s just that people heard it so much they believed the negative PR. Some of their projects didn't help, but there's a core to Muppet humor that is evergreen. Also some casual fans will never get past Kermit and other characters sounding a little different. I would be as bold to say that it is these people that are locked in the past. The Muppets have moved beyond recasting and their new chemistry with audiences and each other is thriving.
Hmm..well, I don't see liking the older muppets better than any of the newer things, or not caring for the new voices as much as having lowered expectations...If anything I think recapturing some of that older soul within the new style would strike a good balance. To say that the only thing that matters is whatever is new and shiny and that any other way of thinking of wanting some of the older style is backward is being a bit too gun-hoe about things IMHO. I think the lowered expectations if anything with the muppets come not from 'oh, they're just some old dusty show' rep, but more of a 'oh, they were great back in the day, and the old movies still are, but since Mr. Henson died you can never get that back" feeling.
If the older soul of the muppets can be put back into them (voices aside, because that i not really soul) while at the same time going forward with new things, I see it as only being a step forward into a future that knows its past and feeds off new and old :smile:. This does not mean bringing back the 'only in the 70's' things, just the overall soul of the muppets, which is a truly timeless thing, and should not be labeled as some dusty rock that needs to be thrown off for the muppets to grow, I think :smile:. They can grow just fine without having their whole being up until now ripped out from them IMHO...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmm..well, I don't see liking the older muppets better than any of the newer things, or not caring for the new voices as much as having lowered expectations...If anything I think recapturing some of that older soul within the new style would strike a good balance. To say that the only thing that matters is whatever is new and shiny and that any other way of thinking of wanting some of the older style is backward is being a bit too gun-hoe about things IMHO. I think the lowered expectations if anything with the muppets come not from 'oh, they're just some old dusty show' rep, but more of a 'oh, they were great back in the day, and the old movies still are, but since Mr. Henson died you can never get that back" feeling.
If the older soul of the muppets can be put back into them (voices aside, because that i not really soul) while at the same time going forward with new things, I see it as only being a step forward into a future that knows its past and feeds off new and old :smile:. This does not mean bringing back the 'only in the 70's' things, just the overall soul of the muppets, which is a truly timeless thing, and should not be labeled as some dusty rock that needs to be thrown off for the muppets to grow, I think :smile:. They can grow just fine without having their whole being up until now ripped out from them IMHO...
I don't think you got what I said, but that's okay. :rolleyes:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't think you got what I said, but that's okay. :rolleyes:
All I know is when I talk about the muppets to my friends the biggest gripe I hear is not 'Oh, their just some dusty old thing from the 70's." but " Boy the movies have gotten really bad since ol' what's his name died :sympathy:!"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
All I know is when I talk about the muppets to my friends the biggest gripe I hear is not 'Oh, their just some dusty old thing from the 70's." but " Boy the movies have gotten really bad since ol' what's his name died :sympathy:!"
I was actually agreeing with the gist of your post that I cited. Your response cited mine and commented on sentiments it did not contain. But again, it's a misunderstanding. I get where you are coming from. I'm just not certain you read me right? It’s common on forums. :wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And sadly, some of our own think that way. :frown: If The Muppets could prove naysayers wrong, it would pure awesomeness in a can!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I just think that deep down the things that made the muppets work, most of all the high level of writing talent that use to be behind them, have to be recaptured in some form for them to truly become new and hip again, and that in of itself is not wishing for too much or a time bubble to make sure they never change or anything:embarrassed:. I think good writing is what has been lacking lately, not so much something that was a product of Mr. Henson that can never be seen again (and even with those things I just know there are like minded souls that will do great things with something related to the muppets someday :smile: )