Save the Fozzie Replica

Would you buy a full-size Fozzie Bear Photo Puppet Replica?

• Yes. money is no object

Votes: 123 45.2%
  • Yes. if he is $400-$600

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Yes. if he is less than $400

Votes: 92 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I never quite understood that either, but Piggy really doesn't sell as well when in a line with other Muppet characters. It's the unfortunate reality of the porcine goddess that is well known in merchandising. It is also something the Henson Company used to tell licensors. However, she does sell very well in a Piggy-exclusive niche. Go figure.

You are right. The order of these (like the Palisades Mega Muppets) was not ideal and will leave core characters out to dry. I have to remind myself that marketing these things is hard and it is easier to talk about than actually sell, but here is how I think it should have gone:

1 Kermit the Frog
2 Fozzie Bear
3 Gonzo
4 Animal
(5) During this time they should independently or adjacently, market Piggy poser with a limited edition, yet long-term sales strategy as she is much more difficult with her wigs, clothing and a notoriously more difficult selling point. This is a unique product where the pig has the potential to really do well if targeted correctly.

*If there was time they could test the market with a slightly less core character like Dr. Teeth, Rowlf, Pepe, Beaker or Rizzo. Other than that, I think stopping at 5 or 6 is probably the best idea. They should have then focused on Muppet Moments like *accurately crafted* fluid poses of key characters frozen in their most iconic times (i.e. Rowlf's ears mid-flop while playing his brown upright) that could also be used as bookends or other such household items. There really is a goldmine to be had in the Muppets. The timing was off for Palisades and Sideshow, but MR is right at the heart of things. If not them, someone else will do it eventually. (EDIT - I didn't mean other companies would create posers really, rather they would create Muppet figural representations.)

Convincing John

Reaction score
I agree that Fozzie should have been second. We need an accurate representation of him (aside from the first Palisades figure). The Steppin Out Fozzie...yeeesh. those eyes, man.

Comic Con and teddy bear companies should be notified about Fozzie. These two have huge markets and could really get the bear off the ground. Terry's prototype is nothing short of amazing! Whay can't we have a good Fozzie like that?

Honestly, I'd rather have a Fozzie in the works that looks like this rather than the available ones that look like this.

Convincing John

rexcrk

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't care if they make a Piggy replica... she's really not one of my favorite characters so I probably wouldn't buy her.

I'm just glad we have Gonzo because HE is my favorite character, but I'm glad they did Kermit first (obviously).

Animal, well, I like him but I like to see him more as part of the Electric Mayhem. That's something I didn't really like about his character in the late 90's/early 2000's, he was one of the "main Muppets" when I like to think of him more as a "secondary" Muppet. But the replica still looks really cool and I can't wait till he arrives at my door step!

Fozzie is a good choice for fourth, but probably should've been third (after Kermit and Gonzo). I'd love a Rizzo to go with Gonzo at some point!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I would do whatever it takes on my part (that's mostly legal) to get a Fozzie Bear.
Here I am! Do I count?

:embarrassed:

Yeah, my mama didn't want me either...

I voted, and I want him (obviously). I need this one, even if it's the last one. It's the one I've been buying the others for. If he's not made I'll just have to sit in my dark corner of the house and cry.

Again.

Telly

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Fozzie would be a good way to end the replicas.

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
Man, seeing that Angus photo-proto is something of pure glee. Maybe we should blame Terry for being so dam* talented (JUST KIDDING) But seeing those prototypes makes my heart jump into my throat. He's so **** perfect! To imagine him standing here in my living room between the other guys would be so perfect. Please for the love of all things holy and sacred, MASTER REPLICAS; MAKE DA BEAR! PLEASE! WE WILL RELEASE YOU OF ANY FURTHER POSERS, JUST PLEASE GRANT US OUR BEAR?

Terry, please make another so we can have more photos at least!

Luke

Reaction score
I believe Piggy should have been after Kermit.
That would have completely killed the line after one poser!

Piggy just doesn't sell - even the good stuff, like the Pigs In Space playset. She sells a bit in things like paper and pen sets, a nice bag or t-shirt. Other than that it's a too female specific character. I can understand your thinking - Kermit and Piggy are a pair, an inconic pair ... but the pigs a love her or hate her character, and i think Kermit is a much more attractive item to have sitting in your bedroom than a pig in a frock :eek:

I think the order should have been 1) Kermit, 2) Fozzie, 3) Animal. If Gonzo couldn't have been done right he should never have been done (not that i don't love my Gonzo poser), and if Piggy was ever done i agree with Jamie, best way of doing her would be a long term very niche, very high quality (and costly) limited edition.

I have my doubts though the order even mattered. I think the lack of marketing and presentation does come into play here but even then, i still doubt it would have helped. The thing is Kermit is such a well known and well recognised character even outside of the Muppet gang. If you look at all the comments for his poser on Amazon a lot of people bought him who are just casual Kermit fans, not really dedicated Muppet fans. Lots of those people do know the other Muppets, but maybe not enough to spend a few hundred bucks on an item. I think thats the problem, and the reason Kermit sold so well.

Maybe all this will change a few years from now what with all the new Muppet interest, hopefully even sooner so we could get our Fozzie poser, but until then i think its more likely to see either more Kermit specific merchandise (like they are starting to do in Disney stores now) or lots of smaller general Muppet lines (plushies, shirts, pens etc) priced for the casual fan.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That would have completely killed the line after one poser!

Piggy just doesn't sell - even the good stuff, like the Pigs In Space playset. She sells a bit in things like paper and pen sets, a nice bag or t-shirt. Other than that it's a too female specific character. I can understand your thinking - Kermit and Piggy are a pair, an inconic pair ... but the pigs a love her or hate her character, and i think Kermit is a much more attractive item to have sitting in your bedroom than a pig in a frock :eek:

I think the order should have been 1) Kermit, 2) Fozzie, 3) Animal. If Gonzo couldn't have been done right he should never have been done (not that i don't love my Gonzo poser), and if Piggy was ever done i agree with Jamie, best way of doing her would be a long term very niche, very high quality (and costly) limited edition.

I have my doubts though the order even mattered. I think the lack of marketing and presentation does come into play here but even then, i still doubt it would have helped. The thing is Kermit is such a well known and well recognised character even outside of the Muppet gang. If you look at all the comments for his poser on Amazon a lot of people bought him who are just casual Kermit fans, not really dedicated Muppet fans. Lots of those people do know the other Muppets, but maybe not enough to spend a few hundred bucks on an item. I think thats the problem, and the reason Kermit sold so well.

Maybe all this will change a few years from now what with all the new Muppet interest, hopefully even sooner so we could get our Fozzie poser, but until then i think its more likely to see either more Kermit specific merchandise (like they are starting to do in Disney stores now) or lots of smaller general Muppet lines (plushies, shirts, pens etc) priced for the casual fan.
I agree with that. :halo: There was so little advertising for all of these really. And we forget that Kermit did sell through, but he did take a lot longer than expected (well over a year). That shouldn't have happened. I will also never get over the poor photos of Gonzo and Animal. It was almost like some gremlin with a camera at MR wanted all the posers to himself and tried to tank the line! :eek:

I still believe that they need to get Fozzie back in a room with collectors and take a poll from there. I am sure numerous people would want to buy him on the spot!

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
What I can't get over is all the excuses why they won't make Fozzie. First it was cause they couldn't find a factory to make him THEN they said that not many people would be interested in him and lack of preorders. So what is it? I can tell you that there is a lot of stuff on the MR website that I know whould not go over to the public very well and they still sell the stuff. What a poor excuse for them not making him, and in the long run, what a waste of time and money on there part.