1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Save the Fozzie Replica

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by muppetperson, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Would you buy a full-size Fozzie Bear Photo Puppet Replica?

1. Yes. money is no object

123 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Yes. if he is $400-$600

40 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Yes. if he is less than $400

92 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. No

17 vote(s)
    6.3%

1. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

2. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

3. Telly

Telly Active Member

I'm always SO impressed with your work, Keeermit

4. Telly

Telly Active Member

I might have to bend a few "rules" to get myself a Fozzie. :smirk:

5. Davina

Davina Member

heh.. hubby has teased me with the idea of looking into commissioning a puppet (or poser) version of the two of us from time to time.. might be interesting to commission a few such items (furry or otherwise....*aghem*)

6. hoopless

hoopless Member

Hey all, i've been lurking the last month or so hoping to see some progress with fozzie cos i need him and as hope is fading i just decided its time to get involved and register my support.

the advertisment of this whole range has been really poor. granted i hadn't been particularly looking for them, but you shouldn't have to look if they market them properly. i only found out about the photo puppets when i saw kermit and animal in the window of forbidden planet back in june and thought they looked amazing. i've yet to own any of them being on the poor side of wealthy, but i got a job to fund pre-ordering fozzie after seeing the prototype photos only to find i've potentially been working a hideous shift pattern that changes daily for no bear at all :(

really hoping they get their acts together

xXx

7. Hat Sharpener

Hat Sharpener New Member

Quality

I know people are touchy about this subject, but here's my opinion...

It's all about the quality for me. The Kermit Replica was a homerun - absolutely fantastic, worth every penny. Animal came out, and not being the biggest animal fan, I passed. Plus, there was something that just wasn't quite right about his face. Then, the one I was the most excited for, Gonzo. I'd saved money for this one...

I know a lot of people on the board love their Gonzo, but I just couldn't stomach shelling out that much money for something that was of that level of quality. It was a very fine posable plush, but far, far from a "replica." Some people have tweaked out Gonzo with pupil position, lip coloring and stuff to get him closer, but still the face shape and nose texture isn't right, IMHO. This is particularly disappointing, having seen the original prototype, photos of which were passed around previously. It was fantastic.

My original plan was to get the main three - Kermit, Gonzo and Fozzie, but MR is going to have to work pretty hard on likeness and come in at a decent price point to warrant my purchasing of Fozzie. On a positive note If they DO make a Fozzie worth my money, I would reconsider Gonzo as well.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but I don't think I'm alone on this one, so there it is...

- Derek

8. Neil565

Neil565 Member

I'm coming late to the party...

Other than economic woes, what is holding Master Replica's back from creating a Fozzie? I plunked down money for a Kermit, and there are a few I would love to lay down more money for. Elmo, Fozzie, Statler and Waldorf, and Animal for starters :).

9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I still think the poser marketing strategy was wonky from the start. The Kermit seemed to get a strangely slow start, but he did okay. He should have done a lot better and such things like the Kermit Tour should have happened at the beginning rather than the end of his run.

Gonzo's nose issues set the release schedule in turnaround. There shouldn't have been so much research and development. A replica doesn't have to be 100% authentic in materials, but it does have to look right. With modern advancements in plastics and prototyping it could have looked right at nearly the same expense. Maybe less!

The other easily avoidable QC issues with eye focus, shells, brows and facial proportions that missed Terry's fabulous designs were only heightened by the marketing photos used to sell these items. Heck, I wouldn't show any of those pictures to friends except to mock how truly terrible they look.

The truth is, these posers are gorgeous and I am honored to have them in my collection even with the necessary tweaks. The fact of the matter is that it is becoming increasingly unlikely. Once these prototypes leave Terry's skillful hands most every other element of production has failed the product in one way or another. Somebody over at MR or another company has to ask themselves if these posers are worth the effort. I think they are, but there's no going half-way with them.

Can they truly pick things up, cut the losses and come back with at least one last Fozzie?

10. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious what the flaws have been so far with MR's marketing(?) of these posers. My question is, what can we, the fans, do (if anything) to help this line survive? I think AWARENESS is vital to the lines success. If people aren't aware they are available then how can they buy them? Thats why I think a blanket email awareness campaign can do no harm is raising this lines profile. If done correctly it could snowball the interest in these awesome replicas.

11. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

I Voted "A." I have always a fozzie replica!

12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's true. Seeing that MR was a no show at the ComicCon it's hard to tell what's going on! I do know that many collectibles stores are quite aware of these items and aren't biting so the word isn't getting to customers. Getting the word out is great, but will MR be responsive? They just lost their cool responsive Travis (we miss you)! It appears there's a mess to sort out there before efforts are made on our part.

I think contacting the current MR marketing department would be the best start. It all hinges from their enthusiasm and support for their fans. They haven’t shown the best track record thus far. Maybe that is changing.

13. Telly

Telly Active Member

I don't get how Fozzie can go from being such a huge hit at the ToyFairs (or whatever they were) to "There's not enough interest." Cop out.

14. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

It's not about the amount of interest. I would suggest you reread the story I wrote that is about ME. Remember, it's a story about ME and no one else, but it's a good story to keep in mind.

:p

15. Telly

Telly Active Member

Well maybe you should pay your bills, WOE? :p

16. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

I would, but apparently there's not enough interest in widgets.

:p

17. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Telly, I think WOE has a kryptic message he is telling us, that he is saying it is ME(him) so he doesnt get in trouble.Change some things around and you will get the picture.ME might be a clue.(change the second letter) and what products do we know of with those eddition numbers.

18. Telly

Telly Active Member

Well, maybe if you made your widgets more available and marketed them better (like bring them to more Widget Fairs and taking better publicity photos) your widgets would sell more, thus in return giving you money to pay your bills. :wisdom:

19. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

i would love for MR to release a Fozzie Bear replica. The prototype looked great. I think if they re;ease he will be the best one yet (next to Kermit)

20. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think you're looking waaaaaaaaaay too far into this - i think he just has a wierd thing for Widgets. :eek: