SST 40th Anniversary Event

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I was there too. I was the next one on line to ask a question- I was on stage left, closest to Frank. I was about to open my mouth when it was announced "Sorry, time's up! No more questions."

So a belated thank you for those that asked more than one question, and MAYBE you can answer mine since the panel couldn't:

Around 1980 or so, they introduced a blind Muppet named Aristotle (Ari for short) which Richard also performed. I was going to ask the panel whatever happened to him, why he wasn't used more. He seemed to have tremendous potential.

Even if I didn't get to ask, I still had the consolation prize of posing with Sonia, Michael Davis' autograph, and a cookie.
I remember Aristotle! I have no idea what happened or what their reasoning was to retire him as a character. I think it would be great if they brought back a character with blindness or some other disability. I remember they had the human character Tara on several years ago who was in a wheelchair. I think the show needs to return to more of that.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
hey, it was great to meet you guys. marty's improv with telly was funny, and the actor's studio thing was a cute idea. and i thought michael did a great job putting the thing together--it was nice to finally see someone who actually knows something about the show asking these guys questions.

fuzzygobo, i feel your pain--i was at the other mic when they said time is up & it was the 3rd time in a row i've been that close to getting a question in at a ss event. i always get miffed because unlike the majority of people who are able to get their questions in, i put a lot of thought into crafting one that will be relevant and interesting to the whole audience, that can be addressed to the whole panel, and that is concise, too, because nobody cares about my life story and everyone knows i'm thankful for all the work they all put into the show.

but i've become ok with never getting my question in, because they never really answer the questions anyway, they just use the same old anecdotes we've heard a dozen times...though it is cute to see them tell the stories in person, and to see them laugh and whisper to each other and tear up at the memories.

the other reason i'm ok with it is because the 2nd time was that afternoon at the teacher thing, but my question got cut off by oscar, which is actually kind of cool. you all didn't miss anything from the so-called teacher workshop. the moderator asked crappy questions and they didn't answer them, they just dragged out the same anecdotes they used later in the evening. that's why tony had the lyrics (sort of) to Proud to Be a Cow written down--'cause he couldn't remember them when it came up that afternoon.

but yeah, they had asked for e-mailed questions ahead of time, but didn't use any of them until they were about to use mine to close the program but caroll brought oscar out & the moderator got flustered and that was the end of that. so i was annoyed that the question didn't get asked but pleased to be interrupted by oscar, so i went through the whole sad-because-i'm-happy cycle of emotions and ended up quite content in being grouchy about it.

this is cute, i used the event as an opportunity to visit my cousins, and one of them has a 3 1/2 year old. so i told her who i'd just seen, and she shot me this look and said she didn't believe me. i tried to show her pictures, but they came out so blurry you couldn't even tell it was oscar so it just made me look even worse, like i was using cheap tricks to try to put one over on her!

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
I was there too. I was the next one on line to ask a question- I was on stage left, closest to Frank. I was about to open my mouth when it was announced "Sorry, time's up! No more questions."

So a belated thank you for those that asked more than one question, and MAYBE you can answer mine since the panel couldn't:

Around 1980 or so, they introduced a blind Muppet named Aristotle (Ari for short) which Richard also performed. I was going to ask the panel whatever happened to him, why he wasn't used more. He seemed to have tremendous potential.

Even if I didn't get to ask, I still had the consolation prize of posing with Sonia, Michael Davis' autograph, and a cookie.
If you were the one wearing the blue "Super Grover is my Wingman" tee, I was the guy in the orange pull-over who complimented it while waiting in the line for Michael & Sonia.

Neil565

Reaction score
I can understand why they didn't want cameras going off, for the flashes could be annoying..but they should have at least allowed non flash photography...

There was a guy next to me with a pretty professional looking camera with a telephoto lens that was taking pictures with the flash off throughout the whole thing and no one said a thing...

Neil565

Reaction score
Regarding the teachers event... What was it like seeing Frank as Grover? I think that's who he said he hadn't performed in a while up untill that afternoon... It was either Grover or Cookie...can't remember which he said...

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Regarding the teachers event... What was it like seeing Frank as Grover? I think that's who he said he hadn't performed in a while up untill that afternoon... It was either Grover or Cookie...can't remember which he said...
huh? it wasn't for the teachers' thing. that was just caroll, bob, sonia, tony, and michael davis. i have no idea what frank was referring to with that comment--i thought maybe that they had him film something for ss season 40 while they had him on this side of the country for a day, or something like that.

Neil565

Reaction score
Ahh, OK. I must be getting mega confused, then :smile:..

My Bad :smile:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
the teacher workshop was run by the wpu education department, and aimed at early childhood educators, who received an education credit for participating. however, neither the moderator nor the panelists really said anything useful for teachers--both the questions and the answers treated it more like a mini version of what they did later on in the evening. in fact they shelved the potential avenues for a useful discussion of education in favor of the same anecdotes they repeated later in the evening. my question would have done that, and also they were going to have bob talk about the curriculum development programs and teacher workshops he does outside of sesame street, but they ran out of time. as i said, the moderator asked lame fan kind of questions, and the panelists responded as such. neither took the opportunity to address educational issues that both the panelists and the teachers think about a lot, which is really too bad.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Fuzzy... if i remember correctly... you were in front of me (as i mentioned i was 3rd)... you had a baby blue super grover shirt on... and you have long hair, and wore glasses right?
Yep, that was me! :super:Although I was disappointed I got cut off, it was cute to hear the little girl before before me say "Hi, I'm nine years old and I've been watching for ten years!"

To balance things, I did meet Bob a few years back at Sesame Place and got to talk with him for a good five minutes, plus he was gracious enough to sign a bunch of LP's and pose for a bunch of pix. So I can't complain too much.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
hey, it was great to meet you guys. marty's improv with telly was funny, and the actor's studio thing was a cute idea. and i thought michael did a great job putting the thing together--it was nice to finally see someone who actually knows something about the show asking these guys questions.

fuzzygobo, i feel your pain--i was at the other mic when they said time is up & it was the 3rd time in a row i've been that close to getting a question in at a ss event. i always get miffed because unlike the majority of people who are able to get their questions in, i put a lot of thought into crafting one that will be relevant and interesting to the whole audience, that can be addressed to the whole panel, and that is concise, too, because nobody cares about my life story and everyone knows i'm thankful for all the work they all put into the show.

but i've become ok with never getting my question in, because they never really answer the questions anyway, they just use the same old anecdotes we've heard a dozen times...though it is cute to see them tell the stories in person, and to see them laugh and whisper to each other and tear up at the memories.

the other reason i'm ok with it is because the 2nd time was that afternoon at the teacher thing, but my question got cut off by oscar, which is actually kind of cool. you all didn't miss anything from the so-called teacher workshop. the moderator asked crappy questions and they didn't answer them, they just dragged out the same anecdotes they used later in the evening. that's why tony had the lyrics (sort of) to Proud to Be a Cow written down--'cause he couldn't remember them when it came up that afternoon.

but yeah, they had asked for e-mailed questions ahead of time, but didn't use any of them until they were about to use mine to close the program but caroll brought oscar out & the moderator got flustered and that was the end of that. so i was annoyed that the question didn't get asked but pleased to be interrupted by oscar, so i went through the whole sad-because-i'm-happy cycle of emotions and ended up quite content in being grouchy about it.

this is cute, i used the event as an opportunity to visit my cousins, and one of them has a 3 1/2 year old. so i told her who i'd just seen, and she shot me this look and said she didn't believe me. i tried to show her pictures, but they came out so blurry you couldn't even tell it was oscar so it just made me look even worse, like i was using cheap tricks to try to put one over on her!
I'm sorry you got cut off too. It feels frustrating to be THAT CLOSE and get turned away, after waiting patiently with everybody else getting their turn "Frank, please do your Miss Piggy voice for us PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEE!":mad:
Maybe we'll have better luck next time.:smile: