New Emmett Otter Jug-Band Christmas DVD

vaati64

Reaction score
Ok I bought this at Wal-Mart lastnight because I didn't take the dvd box out of the slipcase thinking it was a brand new release, WELL IT'S NOT! SAVE YOUR MONEY!
This thing is the same exact release with the red box with a fancy new slip cover over it from a few years back.
Oh well, I wasted a bit of my money but I guess I'll give it to some one for christmas now.

so, this is the exact same release fro 2005? same bonus features and everything? I just wanted to make sure because this weekend I'm going to buy emmet otter because I have nevere seen it before.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
so, this is the exact same release fro 2005? same bonus features and everything? I just wanted to make sure because this weekend I'm going to buy emmet otter because I have nevere seen it before.
Yes, it's the same one without Kermit and those bonus extras.

Dock Bullfrog

Reaction score
I grew up watching Emmitt Otter on HBO at Christmas time. This special is absolutely beloved by my whole family and we make it a point to watch it every year.

Does anyone know why they chose to edit out all of the Kermit appearances? That seems like a really bone-head decision. Eliminating Kermit's narration completely really hurts the charm of this feature! I own the completely intact VHS version and the 1st DVD release that has Kermit but still has edited scenes. I guess I'll just keep these for the time being. Oh well, maybe they will eventually release a proper high def version on blu ray.

vaati64

Reaction score
I grew up watching Emmitt Otter on HBO at Christmas time. This special is absolutely beloved by my whole family and we make it a point to watch it every year.

Does anyone know why they chose to edit out all of the Kermit appearances? That seems like a really bone-head decision. Eliminating Kermit's narration completely really hurts the charm of this feature! I own the completely intact VHS version and the 1st DVD release that has Kermit but still has edited scenes. I guess I'll just keep these for the time being. Oh well, maybe they will eventually release a proper high def version on blu ray.

As I understand is, its because Kermit now belongs to Disney, so Henson isn't allowed to use Kermit in any of their dvd releases, so all of Kermit has to be editied. What I don't understand is why Disney is not letting Henson use the Kermit scenes, but then giver credit, or acknowledgement to Disney and the Muppet Studios.

Dock Bullfrog

Reaction score
As I understand is, its because Kermit now belongs to Disney, so Henson isn't allowed to use Kermit in any of their dvd releases, so all of Kermit has to be editied. What I don't understand is why Disney is not letting Henson use the Kermit scenes, but then giver credit, or acknowledgement to Disney and the Muppet Studios.
Why on earth would Henson give up rights to their marque character? That would be like Disney signing over the rights of Mickey Mouse to Dreamworks! :confused:

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
Before signing up to this site, I had never heard of "Emmett Otter Jug Band Christmas" or "The Christmas Toy".

But now that I know they exist, I want them!

Were either one ever released totally uncut? (VHS, DVD)?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Before signing up to this site, I had never heard of "Emmett Otter Jug Band Christmas" or "The Christmas Toy".

But now that I know they exist, I want them!

Were either one ever released totally uncut? (VHS, DVD)?
The Christmas Toy uncut VHS is on Amazon from third party sellers, that's how I got mine. Emmett Otter was released on VHS uncut, I don't know if it's on Amazon. Good luck! :smile: :smile: