New Emmett Otter Jug-Band Christmas DVD

peyjenk

Reaction score
Well, I certainly am glad I decided to research a little before buying the new DVD. I don't own any incarnation of Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas, but I am loathe to buy one knowing that Kermit isn't in it (better than buying it thinkin he's in it only to get a nasty surprise, though). So now I guess I have to decide if Emmett Otter without Kermit is better than no Emett Otter at all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So now I guess I have to decide if Emmett Otter without Kermit is better than no Emett Otter at all.
Honestly I bought the special in 2005 anyway, and was still very moved and enjoyed it. Cutting out Kermit wasn't the best news, but the special is still lovely and deserves to be seen. :smile:

FrogInTheGlen

Reaction score
There is one version of the DVD that still has at least some Kermit in it, but it's only available through private sellers. If you go to Amazon and do a search for Emmet, you'll know you've found the right one when you see Kermit on the cover. I bought that one, but if I had to choose between an Emmet DVD without Kermit and no Emmet DVD at all, I'd go ahead and buy the movie. It's great no matter what. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
And the hits keep coming...

HIT is an appropriate name for the distribution company because they sure have slapped us Henson fans around a lot recently and this Emmet Otter release is no exception.

Not only is the "new" Emmet Otter DVD filled with the same content as the 2005 release - it actually IS the 2005 release - packaging and all! The only thing they did was add a cardboard slip cover with new graphics that don't match the actual 2005 DVD case inside. The graphics, logo and art differ between the two. Basically fans are paying for a cardboard slip cover.

What has happened to HIT? They used to be so thoughtful and now they resort to these cheap tactics while expecting fans to pay top dollar. :smirk:

vaati64

Reaction score
Not only is the "new" Emmet Otter DVD filled with the same content as the 2005 release - it actually IS the 2005 release - packaging and all! The only thing they did was add a cardboard slip cover with new graphics that don't match the actual 2005 DVD case inside. The graphics, logo and art differ between the two. Basically fans are paying for a cardboard slip cover.

you know, I was thinking the exact same thing! I didn't own emmet otter before I bought it about a month ago, but I saw pictures of the packaging, and htast the first thing that I noticed when I opned the case!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
you know, I was thinking the exact same thing! I didn't own emmet otter before I bought it about a month ago, but I saw pictures of the packaging, and htast the first thing that I noticed when I opned the case!
Yeah, even the copyright information is exactly the same on the actual plastic DVD case. It reads "2005" while the sleeve is "2008". :shifty:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
HIT is an appropriate name for the distribution company because they sure have slapped us Henson fans around a lot recently and this Emmet Otter release is no exception.

What has happened to HIT? They used to be so thoughtful and now they resort to these cheap tactics while expecting fans to pay top dollar. :smirk:
I already stated this in the thread :wink:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought this new DVD. I didn't own the previous release, so it was a good investment for me. Though I do agree that it is wrong to just repackage something and call it a new release.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Agreed. Re-releasing a DVD is fine, but presenting it as a new release is just cheating fans.

My personal thoughts on the editing, extremely unfortunate, and I hope Disney and Henson come to some sort of an agreement where Henson can use the character that their company name created in pre-existing material some day. But in the meantime, the extras on the Emmet Otter DVD are almost worth buying it, if for nothing else.