Hopes for The Muppet Show Season 4

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact that Season Four is being released in the "next five to eight months"? Season Three hasn't even been released in either Australia or New Zealand.

Disney have not said a word about when/if Season Four is being released next year, so I think we're better off waiting until such time as we receive confirmation that Season Four is on the way.
My post cited that such a release was *likely* from the pattern set forth with the last two sets and there are members all over the world. Also with Disney's recent Muppet *push* covered by the New York Times a couple weeks ago it does seem entirely probable a season 4 release will at least occur in the states in the coming months. :cool:

I always appreciate your insight into the industry. You do know your stuff, but only a moderator should influence others not to post their fan musings for whatever reason. This is a fan forum. Attempting to squash discussion or even *noted* speculation contradicts our friendly forum policy. If you don't appreciate the discussion there are many other interesting threads here. There is no need to halt this one. We encourage open and free discussion as long as it doesn't infringe on another member's right to do so. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
My post cited that such a release was *likely* from the pattern set forth with the last two sets and there are members all over the world. Also with Disney's recent Muppet *push* covered by the New York Times a couple weeks ago it does seem entirely probable a season 4 release will at least occur in the states in the coming months. :cool:
Which begs the question...

will these now be released in May, after the season 3 release, or will we have to wait for November of next year?

And remember, Muppet Show season 3 details were released about a month or two before the release date, and rumblings of it were heard a week or so before TVshowsonDVD even posted it.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I think Gonzo would be great for the Season 4 cover. He deserves it, definitely. But animal would be OK, too, I suppose.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Animal would make a good cover as long as they don't flock it. He's not foamy like the others... he's shaggy.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I agree that Gonzo would make a good cover for season 4. As for bonus features, more vintage commercials, more interviews, and maybe clips of The Muppets being guests of other TV shows of the 70's (Including the Tonight Show where they hosted)

Nick22

Reaction score
i think one of the sort of less important muppets should be on the cover. like janice!:flirt:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit i could care less about simply guessing/speculating on artwork-type stuff like which Muppet graces the cover, especially when the release is a ways down the line (though i find it pointless and boring, others do care hence the existence of the post, and i would never say that such a post shouldn't exist precisely because of that).

But what i would say would lend a thread like this more merit and legitimacy would be thoughts on what extras should be included. Throughout the discussion, we may find stuff a lot of us agree with should be "must-haves" that might otherwise go unthough-of/uncared-about by the people putting it together, and as a result of sentiments posted here, fans could contact Disney and express what they want to see and be proactive about making sure they're done "right" instead of everyone collectively moaning about it later on when the official announcement is made and find ourselves disappointed with what is/isn't included after no one can really change it!

Especially with a season by season box set, if something's not included/done right, it's unlikely there would be a second chance to correct it later with a re-release...whereas the movies tend to get several releases, "complete box sets" are far less likely to get a re-do (even though it's not impossible - it did happen with the "Starburst Editions" of Farscape).

I would kind of like to see the specials "The Muppets Go Hollywood" or "The Muppets Go to the Movies" either released on their own or as a dvd extra, but i think these specials would be more appropriate as an extra on a future re-release of "The Muppet Movie" and "Great Muppet Caper" which are the reason the specials existed...to promote those particular films.

I personally root for the things that are directly connected with the production of The Muppet Show and wouldn't really fit in elsewhere as per a chance for fans to see them - the promos should be a no-brainer given - at least some of them were included in season one, but only a handful and dropped in other sets. I think a complete reel of these promos should be included for all 120 episodes...You put 120 30 second promos together and that's an hour of Muppety goodness! (And even then, they actually recorded a 30 second and 10 second promo for each episode). The Muppet Show promos were special in that they were done by the actual production team and not a network just throwing together clips with an announcer voice saying "Watch (show name)"...they were great comedy bits often with Kermit and Fozzie or other occasional characters...these are great funny entertaining pieces of Muppet history that should be preserved in this perfect place to showcase them.

I also agree the original versions of the Juliet Prowse and Connie Stevens episodes should be included. I know they must exist somewhere...they were still accessable five years after the fact for Christopher Finch to write about them in "Of Muppets & Men" and they could always borrow Museum of TV & Radio's copy of Juliet Prowse if they can't find any other copy.

Muppet Morsels were left out of S2 & S3 because they were "hard to do", but they were well appreciated! Take less work out of presenting silly graphics and present "just the facts, ma'am" and that's less needless energy expended! Or if it's hard enough to do the "pop-up" style commentary, at least have the more traditional voice-over commentary! Even just having Important Muppet People Who Were There just laughing along and commenting on random stuff even if the facts are short is still worth the price of admission to me!

And "Of Muppets & Men" the documentary special also needs to be on #4 or #5. S5 would be the most logical choice since that's when the docu was produced, but if they put it out early on S4 so S5 has more room for something like a complete promo reel, i'd have no complaints whatsoever, i'd be bouncing off the walls!

Reaction score
I expect and hope that Gonzo is on the cover for Season 4.

I don't think I'd want Animal on the Season 5... although I can't think of who else SHOULD be on Season 5 (probably either Rowlf or Scooter).
I agree rowlf or scooter should be on season 5 but due to everyone now loving animal i think they might just make animal on it even though he is such a minor character.
-:concern::wink:04

Davina

Reaction score
there were actually quite a few specials that shouldn't have too many problems (cept maybe song right issues..) that would make great additions.. DW mentioned several, but I know there are more (cuz I have some of em on vhs downstairs that I really need to get around to transfering to dvd now that I have a dvr.. soon as I make sure I know how to do it... ) Miss Piggy had several specials of her own, and there were several "spectaculars" type specials.. and, of course the Muppet Valentine's special... would love to see all of them available on dvd at some point..
don't much care who is on the cover really :smile:

ploobis

Reaction score
I would love to see more earlier Muppet material on the next Muppet Show DVD set. Like more Rare Commercials or maybe some Sam and Friends sketches or maybe some early variety show appearances (if possible).

I wonder if we'll get more New Interviews from the Puppeteers, Writers and Designers like in the Season 3 set? That would be nice!

For the future Season 5 set I wonder what would make the best Bonus Feature, "Of Muppets and Men Making of The Muppet Show" or "The Muppets Go To The Movies"?

I still think Gonzo will make the cover for Season 4. :concern: