1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Hopes for The Muppet Show Season 4

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Da Dogster, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Davina

Davina Member

would love to see Of Muppets and Men..
    properly.. heh.. a former library had really old VHS copies of this (or part of it.. i don't remember..) but they were so badly degraded by the time I got hold of them that it was almost worse then not seeing them at all.. *sigh* would love a nice, clean copy of that special..
  2. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Member

Everyone has mentioned some great specials and classic stuff that definitely should see the light of day, either as extras on future TMS DVD releases or even as a collection all it's own. I especially agree with having some Sam & Friends clips, but I also would love to see the old Henson commercials, especially those for Wilkins' Coffee. Just a thought.
  3. Gemini Draco

Gemini Draco New Member

Hmmm... I would say that Ganzo would be on the cover of season 4. Seeing that it was Kermit, Miss Piggy and Fozzie, it just makes sense that it would be him. He is one of those "main" Muppets. I mean, personally, it would be awsome to see Floyd :sing: on the cover of a season, or Beaker :eek:. I would be getting my hopes too high to say Zoot :cool:. I mean, if any of the band members of the Electric Mayhem were to be on a cover, it would be Animal. Though, I know those are only my dreams.

As for the release date, I have to clue. Hopefully sometime this year.

It would be great to see those Muppet specials on DVD though, in the extras. Since, I have only just gotten into the Muppets again recently, I haven't yet bought any of the season, so I am not caught up on what the special features are.
  4. animal0606

animal0606 New Member

Season 4 I would say will be out early August 2009 the cover will be between Animal or Gonzo for sure.

:halo:
  5. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

I hope they put the Muppets Celebration of 30 years or of Muppets and Men on the set.
  6. chuckecheese123

chuckecheese123 New Member

MINOR! animal is more famous than gonzo, rizzo, or pepe. First of all, on the muppet show season 3 box gonzo isn't even mentioned it just says that kermit, miss piggy, fozzie, and animal are the hardest working muppets in showbiz, and they were the only muppets on extreme makeover home edition he has his own page and stared in a bunch of videos on the muppets web site. Your right he is loved but he's also famous.
  7. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Gee... Gonzo was part of the main trio in The Great Muppet Caper. Gonzo had was the narrator in The Muppet Christmas Carol. Gonzo played a crucial role in Muppet Treasure Island. Gonzo acted as producer/co-host of Muppets Tonight. Gonzo starred in his OWN movie in Muppets From Space. Gonzo played the Tin Thing in The Muppets' Wizard of Oz. Gonzo has HIS own page on Muppets.com. Gonzo was a key part of Studio DC and Letters to Santa.

Whereas... Animal had one or two quick character moments in GMC, one line in MCC, one line in MTI, appeared in about two episodes of Muppets Tonight, a few scenes in MFS, one or two lines in MWoO, and one scene in LtS.

I'm not saying I don't love Animal and that he's not a great character, because he really is. I'm just saying that Gonzo has obviously achieved more and has more depth as a character than Animal. He may not be as popular as Animal (though I can argue that he is), but he's definitely more deserving of the cover of TMS 4. I have no doubt that Animal will grace the cover of Season 5... but Gonzo deserves to appear before him.
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I agree, Gonzo to me became a part of the main group once and for all in The Muppet Movie itself. Kermit, :o, Miss Piggy and Gonzo all together in one car :). While Animal may be more loved lately he still is more a supporting character (and that isn't always a bad thing)
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Animal's a supporting player who sort of achieved that Elmo style of popularity, hehe. I think Gonzo should go first because he's clearly a main player on Muppet Show, Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper. But I have no problem with Animal being next.
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Animal and Gonzo and others...

Frank Oz stated that Animal is a simple, one-note sort of character. EAT! DRUMS! WOMAN! It's funny for fans, but it connects with non-fans and is easily marketable because no effort is required to understand his primal urges. Animal is a glorified and lovable background character with some great moments here and there. However, recently he's had a pension for bunny rabbits. This was initially created on a whim by Oz and is now being written into skits on Muppets.com. It does give the character a little more depth and growth. I'm curious to see where it goes.

Gonzo has had quite a personal journey. He is both a solid part of the Muppet cast while maintaining his status as a unique outsider. That's one delicate tightrope (especially when walking it while balancing a spoon full of pistachio ice cream on your beak and starfish in your trousers). Gonzo began as an innocent young weirdo with a lot of sadness and eventually grew into colorful self-acceptance. He now tempers his zany antics with that of an elder Muppet cast veteran.

Gonzo really is a robust character. Animal can sit out a performance without it being noticed very much, but when Gonzo is absent the void is great. That's the difference between the two. I love each character and find them to be indispensable. However, Animal is always an easier sell for key chains and tee-shirts. It would make sense for Animal to grace the cover of a Muppet Show box, but most longtime fans would appreciate seeing Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf or even Floyd instead. :sing:
  11. heralde

Everyone can have their own views on the characters, of course. I personally think Gonzo was best as the outsider weirdo. I don't always think characters' personalities should be changed so much, unless you're at the very end of the story (and obviously the Muppets continue). There's a difference between maturing and outright changing the position of a character. But that's just my opinion. :)

Frogboy is right, Animal is very marketable and that's why he's popular. However I don't really think of Animal as a one note character. I mean anyone could create a beastly sort of creature that yells "EAT!" But Animal isn't just a simple oaf, he's a crazed drummer in a rock band, who can play along with the group and loves the chicks, a la Keith Moon (whom he has been compared to). :halo:
  12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I too prefer my Gonzo to be a bit wilder and of ambiguous origin as he was in his prime. Explaining the unexplainable will always be a let down. Well, and people and characters just get older - icon or not. It happens.

I have missed Animal and the rest of the Mayhem for a while. I'm glad they seem to be returning. Animal will always be a crowd pleaser, but going back and watching the old Muppet Show episodes - Floyd was featured quite a bit more. :sing:
  13. heralde

Yeah definitely. I'm just of the school that says icons don't always need to get older, unlike people. Look at The Simpsons. ;)

Well it is indeed an odd thing, often the amount of time a character has on screen has nothing to do with how popular they are. Audiences just latch on to them and see something the creators didn't. :halo:
  14. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm just imagining Floyd's fluffy eye brows and moustache on the cover of a TMS DVD set. Never happen, but fun to think about.
  15. heralde

Oh yeah groovy, too bad the man's keeping us down! :sing:
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

These releases could come in a brown wrapper and I'd love them just as much as long as they were complete with no cuts. However, I still find it fun to think about what would look best on the cover. Here are some very crude comps I just slapped together. My favorites are Gonzo and Teeth.
  17. heralde

Cool! I like the Sam one, his head's a good shape for it. And Animal looks like he's swallowing the words, lol. :attitude::halo:
  18. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

sweetness! how do u do that? it's sweet. i agree with u. Floyd looks pretty good too, but the bottom of his mouth is kinda cut off.
  19. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

NICE JOB ON THE COVER IDEAS! :)
  20. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I would love to see characters like Janice or Rowlf get the cover, but I'm not betting on it.

My guess is Gonzo for season four, he's just too well known of a character to not have a cover. But I could see why they would choose Animal, he is very very popular for reasons already mention.

Although I have a feeling (and this is just a feeling) that the last season, season five, will have like a group photo.

Actually now that I think about it and when I typed that out, I just pictured it, and now I have a pretty neat idea for it. What if it was a group photo for season five, with all the favorite and well know Muppet from front and back of the DVD. It could look a little like this...
    http://www.meltyourfaceoff.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/the-muppet-show.jpg
    But add in Nigel, Beautiful Day Monster, Boppity, Snowths, Barkerville, some whatnots and more just all around the whole DVD set. I think that sounds a little cooler than the whole close up of a Muppet thing right now, but I would be totally happy if that was the case though all five seasons.