Sesame Anime?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
http://www.worldscreen.com/newscurrent.php?filename=sesame101308.htm

I'm not crazy about this. I'd rather see actual Muppets than animated ones. A friend sent me the link. Thoughts?

2008-10-13

Sesame Street Targets English-Language Learners

NEW YORK/CANNES, October 13: Sesame Street English, a new 26x2-minute series from Sesame Workshop, features anime-style versions of the show’s signature Muppets introducing preschoolers to the English language.

Sesame Street English, which can be adapted for classrooms, uses research-based methods to provide introductory language skills necessary to build a basic English vocabulary. Each all-English episode introduces one letter, sound and word, using visuals and rhythms. Sesame Street Muppet characters, including Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Bert, Ernie and Grover, are featured in a new anime style.

The series is part of a larger project that encourages English-based proficiency at an early age. Sesame Street English also features 26 video lessons, delivered via multiple platforms. Each Sesame Street English package comes with supplementary materials, including a parent-support guide in the native language and an interactive “magic” pen, which children can use to select segments, play games or sing Sesame songs in English.

“There are so few programs that present English-language lessons in a meaningful context, and also encourage young learners to read and have fun doing so,” said Dan Victor, Sesame Workshop’s executive VP of international. “Using tools of the 21st century, Sesame Street English is designed to appeal to Sesame Street’s core audience, who are learning and reviewing with the favorite muppet friends.”

—By Kristin Brzoznowski

© WSN INC. No part of this article can be used, reprinted, copied or
stored in any medium without the publisher's authorization.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
SS+Anime=:confused:. It is an interesting idea though. I'm a fan of anime so i might try to see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't totally call that anime style as stark graphics... After all, Anime can look like This... but it can also look like this this , this or even this

Personally, I'd see SS look sort of like Doraemon or Anpanaman or something if it were an anime...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I think--HA HA.

Wow--that's quite simplified art, isn't it? I just don't get why they're doing this instead of making something with the puppets instead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cough cough... cheaper, faster.... Easier to reuse footage... cough cough...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'd much rather Muppeteers and Muppets doing the characters. Still, with the designs shown, I don't see it becoming more popular than the actual characters, so have no worries.