SST General Store?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know of this place? I have a bag from it. Here's some photos:

Side 1

Side 2

Was store in Sesame Place or was it an actual store in various places?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I had a bag like that when I was little..I always thought it was used when you bought SS things at a normal store somewhere..like an ad for one of their anniversaries in the 80's :smile:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I went to the Sesame Street General Store many times when it was still around. Unfortunately, I think all the stores closed in the late 1990's. They were kind of like Disney Stores you see in the mall, except they were Sesame themed, of course. You could buy items for both kids and adults. During my trips there, I purchased several shirts, a "monster" watch, Grover socks and coffee mug, and a few other items. I was like a kid in a candy store. We would make special trips down to Portland just to go there.

I remember they had a big animatronic Oscar who would pop out of his garbage can out in front of the store, which I thought was cute.

The two I went to were in at Lloyd Center in Portland, Oregon, and in Torrance, Ca., but unfortunately, like I mentioned, the stores are long gone.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never went there then..but then maybe I did and was still a baby or something :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I believe you can see that store in the old "Henson's Place" documentary. I remember seeing it years ago and thinking, "I wish I could go there!"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of this place? I have a bag from it. Here's some photos:

Side 1

Side 2

Was store in Sesame Place or was it an actual store in various places?
Those were open for a very short while. They were like tiny versions of the Disney store. I remember buying a high-end Fossil-type Ernie and Bert color changing mood watch with a mood ring included for an ex of mine. They sometimes would carry a Kermit plush or two, but it seemed they were constantly asked questions about the Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock characters.

The Muppet Stuff Store was the most amazing experience in the world. It was a tiny little corner of heaven for this Muppet fan. :halo:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I went to the Sesame Street General Store many times when it was still around. Unfortunately, I think all the stores closed in the late 1990's. They were kind of like Disney Stores you see in the mall, except they were Sesame themed, of course. You could buy items for both kids and adults. During my trips there, I purchased several shirts, a "monster" watch, Grover socks and coffee mug, and a few other items. I was like a kid in a candy store. We would make special trips down to Portland just to go there.

I remember they had a big animatronic Oscar who would pop out of his garbage can out in front of the store, which I thought was cute.

The two I went to were in at Lloyd Center in Portland, Oregon, and in Torrance, Ca., but unfortunately, like I mentioned, the stores are long gone.
I wonder why?

I would think they were beneficial to the Sesame Workshop.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
I wonder why?

I would think they were beneficial to the Sesame Workshop.
That's a good question. Every time I was there, they seemed to be busy. Due to them selling items for both kids AND adults, they pretty much covered everyone. There was something for the Sesame fan in all of us! :smile: You'd think SW would have been all over trying to keep it open. Who knows...... :stick_out_tongue: