Your Thoughts: Muppets at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
To clear up confusion about what people did/didn't see...

Both CBS and NBC annually cover the parade. However NBC has the "official" Macy's coverage so they can include the Macy's name in their title and get to show all the songs that the people in the parade stop and sing in front of Macy's. Since the parade is a major event in New York, CBS can still cover it as news but they can't use the Macy's name in their title or show the numbers being performed at Macy's which NBC has the exclusive rights to so CBS culls together its own performers and special performances. I've learned over the year that if i'm able to watch live with my finger on the vcr/dvr buttons to mostly keep my eye on NBC and then flip over to CBS during commercials or extended sequences like musical numbers if i want to catch footage of Muppets. If i'm not able to watch live, then set the dvr for NBC.

I'm on the west coast so as i type i'm watching live. CBS' coverage started at 7am and NBC's started at 9 so only an hour was actually competing with each other where i am. Sesame just was on about ten minutes ago and despite Lang Lang's miscue (getting caught up in the moment of waving to the crowd that he forgets to pay attention to his "finger-sync" LOL - seems like something Muppety!) i was really impressed with the coverage/camerawork - in years' past it's often seemed random but i think they really coordinated it with the Sesame Workshop since for example they had the broadcasting camera in all the right places at all the right times - showing Bert/Ernie/Zoe at the time in the soundtrack where Bert lets out his laugh and showing Oscar popping out of his can (apparantly being woken up by the noise) and reacting to everything around him.

So i still have awhile to go til i see Kermit/Letters From Santa promo.

I also caught where the cbs people noted Abby was the first female Muppet for 13 years...and though that was really wrong-sounding i'll give them a pass since that was probably a figure that was given to them from Sesame Workshop's little press release of stuff for the hosts to say about the floats ... and yes Zoe and Rosita were introduced over 13 years ago so the math's not out there...but just the way it was worded - that she's the first "female Muppet" in 13 years was not only factually wrong but really very offensive making it seem that Sesame has been horribly backwards in not addressing its long major criticism of gender inequality - it would have been more accurate to say "first major female Muppet star" in 13 years...since obviously there have been countless female Muppets in the last 13 years; not just one shots and whatnots (which again that wording makes it seem like there hadn't even been that) but attempts to create new characters that will hopefully catch on but for various reasons didn't (no doubt Elizabeth and Lulu Monster would be major stars today if Stephanie D'Abruzzo hadn't attained stardom with Avenue Q and was able to be more of a presence of the show since that time, plus who knows what other original characters she might have developed)

Which reminds me - one of my fave parts of Muppets Take Over Today was the plesant surprise of having S D'A playing Ann Curry since she hadn't done much Muppety stuff as of late so that was a neat little thrill and watching the real Today hosts emceeing the parade now reminds me of how awesome the Muppet take-offs were - Fran Brill was so spot-on with Meredith!
BECAUSE OF ALL LISTED HERE I USUALLY ONLY WATCH THE MACY'S PARADE ON NBC...sorry about the caps forgot they were on

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I had my sister (who was leaving later than I was to go to family gatherings) tape the end of the parade for me, so I was thankfully able to see Kermit sing his song.

It was wonderful.

Are we getting a new X-mas cd this year to go with the new special? And when is the special coming out on dvd?

zns

Reaction score
I saw the parade this morning and was very impressed. The Sesame float was great as well as their performance (frankly I wasn't too surprised with the song that they chose). And I have to say it, but Kermit really stole the entire parade All in all, I rate the entire show three Kermit's. :smile::smile::smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think they played a little snippet of Kermit's song along with images of the parade at the end of the NBC Nightly News this evening.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Everyone lip syncs for the parade, some are just more obvious then others. Great appearances by all Muppets and their balloons. Kermit has been getting lots of coverage on the New York stations here when it comes to highlight clips from the parade calling his balloon "classic" and a "standard favorite". They even interviewed some of the balloon handlers who said they wouldn't be a part of any other balloon because Kermit was the best, and helping steer was an honor.

I have to nit pick just a teeny bit. I know from reading the TP interview that Steve was going to be doing the Kermit, but was it really him? The puppetry looked different then normal. Not bad, just different. And Kermit's eyes seemed a bit close together then usual.

Great song though and made me really excited for the movie!

ngreen522

Reaction score
I have to nit pick just a teeny bit. I know from reading the TP interview that Steve was going to be doing the Kermit, but was it really him? The puppetry looked different then normal. Not bad, just different. And Kermit's eyes seemed a bit close together then usual.
It was most likely him. Keep in mind that he had been performing kermit for 3 miles prior to the finale performance. I'm sure his arm was really tired. Could have afftected Kermit's mannerisms, but I didn't notice.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I just watched the SS float on youtube. Correct me If I'm wrong, but did I see the puppet used for "Karina the Ballerina" next to Baby Bear? I thought that Zoe looked like she was going to fall, and that you could see a bit too much under Ernie. I think Cookie looked the funniest singing, and Abby looks cute w/ Earmuffs. But this is all just me

Luke

Reaction score
It was a nice performance, to be honest i thought the grinning kids dancing in the back looked a bit over the top but Kermit was great. Maybe the whole thing was a slight bit too cheesy and disneyfied, i prefer the style of performance we are seeing in the viral videos where they are a little more like the TMS days.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The puppetry looked different then normal. Not bad, just different. And Kermit's eyes seemed a bit close together then usual.
I noticed the same thing. More than likely though this was due to performing in a very cramped and non-traditional atmosphere (under a float) for a long period of time.

By the way, "I'll Believe in Santa Claus" and a preview song from "Letters to Santa" are both now playing on Muppet Central Radio.