Guillermo del Toro/Henson Co. to remake Pinocchio

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I read about it from a link on Rotten Tomatoes last week. Sounds like the yearly revivals of Nightmare Before Christmas and the ucoming Coraline have inspired Del Toro and the Henson Company. The Gris Grimly illustrations that the film will be based on are even more striking than Nightmare or Corpse Bride.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Del Toro is overrated anyway. Pinocchio goes Horror.... well then...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Please explain...
I'm with you. I didn't understand that statement either. I haven't seen anything short of amazing from Del Toro. He's a director that actually crafts his pictures. It's a rare art these days and he does it successfully.

Pork

Reaction score
Hey cool! This sounds good..

Laszlo

Reaction score
Please explain...
Well, tastes are different. I havent seen a Del Toro Pic which really amazed me. Pans Labyrinth was disappointing. Its much easier to put scary and bloody images on screen than create wonderfull fantasy worlds like Henson and Froud did. I may have to see Hellboy2 ?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This really does sound like a great idea! I wouldn't definitely watch it!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, tastes are different. I havent seen a Del Toro Pic which really amazed me. Pans Labyrinth was disappointing. Its much easier to put scary and bloody images on screen than create wonderfull fantasy worlds like Henson and Froud did. I may have to see Hellboy2 ?
I understand how tastes can be different and respect your opinion. Pan's Labyrinth was really about a child's escapism from her real life horrors. I don't believe it was intended as a fantasy film even though it was advertised as one. I still found it beautiful.

Both Hellboys are good films. Much better than they needed to be. The first one has some pacing issues, but both are entertaining and imaginative. I think you'll really like Hellboy 2. It leaves you wanting even more - hopefully the Hellboy 3 del Toro would like to make in order to complete (and contractually end) the film franchise. You will see a definite style and craftsmanship repeated in all of his work. Also juxtaposed methods of filmmaking.

There was a scene in HB2 where they had to tell a back-story and he decided to do it with puppets (albeit digital puppets that looked fairly real). That's what I think is fueling del Toro's interest in these new actual puppet ventures. I hear he also wants to remake The Witches the same way as he would Pinocchio. This guy has a lot of aspirations for a director contributing the next few years of his life to the Hobbit films. He also wants to do another Frankenstein picture. I wish it were him behind the new Dark Crystal film. We'll have to see how that one goes.

It’s rare these days to see a filmmaker with a distinctly original voice. I see del Toro as one of those voices on the rise.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'd like to see del Toro do Return to Labyrinth. I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth but I think I want to now, since I really liked Hellboy 2. I can't wait to see this Pinocchio.