Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I guess people thought it was "Kiddy" since they weren't shooting out as many innuendos as the last films did.... though I took "Sleeping with the fishes?" "I already do" as something sexual...
Nah, I thought it was kiddy because all the human guest stars acted far more childish than the actual child in the movie did.

The driving point of the movie was a little girl who didn't appreciate her mother and wanted her neighbors to drop their holiday plans (some of whom could have been visiting their families for all we know, and not just going on vacations like Piggy/Kermit chose to do...) and stay home with her and keep her company for Christmas (seems a tad selfish to me, I take it she has no other friends besides the Muppets-a bunch of adults- and no family besides her mom?).

And the fact that the whole movie felt like a Sesame Street special...minus the Sesame Street characters. Don't get me wrong, I like Sesame Street movies and specials...but this is the Muppets, not SS!

That's why I felt it was childish. The adult humor was there, and I was happy for it, but the kiddy factor...which was not an obvious thing with any of the past movies/specials (except KSY from what I've read about it here, I haven't seen it yet so I can't say)...just stood out way too much to me.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't like the implication that the "real" reason why people were disappointed with it was because it wasn't as risque as past films. (I really don't see how that could be the case, since the reason why a lot of people had issues with the last two tv films was because they had more adult humor than most care for...I didn't have an issue with it, but that's just me:smile:)

As for the "sleeping with the fishes" "I already do" joke...I didn't see that as sexual when I watched the special (I do now because you pointed it out as such), I felt Pepe's reply was his inability to understand what the mobster was implying with the comment (death) and was replying that he already does (because he's a fish and would normally live in the ocean).

Oz... ugh... Did they HAVE to turn the thing into a tie in with American Idol?
Totally agree with you there, if they didn't go with the "young wannabe singer" angle I do think the movie would have been a lot better (Ashanti was pretty much my problem with that movie...she couldn't act and didn't act like the Muppets were real, which previous guest stars have done...). I still love OZ, but it does have issues and was far from perfect.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Nah, I thought it was kiddy because all the human guest stars acted far more childish than the actual child in the movie did.
I don't have any trouble with how the adults acted but I've noticed a habit of movies lately to make little kids in movies act like little mini jaded teenagers rather than realistic kids...I'm glad LTS didn't fall into that trap :smile:. That gets to me more than any adult wanting a shiny bell to ring ever could IMHO. *wants to see Bedtime Stories*
he driving point of the movie was a little girl who didn't appreciate her mother and wanted her neighbors to drop their holiday plans (some of whom could have been visiting their families for all we know, and not just going on vacations like Piggy/Kermit chose to do...) and stay home with her and keep her company for Christmas (seems a tad selfish to me, I take it she has no other friends besides the Muppets-a bunch of adults- and no family besides her mom?).
I think that she was adopted and had a had time thinking everyone would leave her on a holiday where everyone says people to should be together..and well, some children don't make friends with people their own age by nature, it's actually more common than you might think to not fit in with your own age group...besides they are'nt just any adults they're the muppets, the muppets I tell you *hops* :big_grin:!

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I think that she was adopted and had a had time thinking everyone would leave her on a holiday where everyone says people to should be together..and well, some children don't make friends with people their own age by nature, it's actually more common than you might think to not fit in with your own age group...besides they are'nt just any adults they're the muppets, the muppets I tell you *hops* :big_grin:!
I hadn't considered the idea that she may have been adopted...if that's the case then I forgive the character. I guess I could understand the inability to fit in with kids her own age too.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That is the one thing that people seem to be picking up on...She lives with the Muppets all year and then complains when they are gone for one day! Bless. I do understand how she feels though...it always breaks my heart when everyone goes home for the holidays from University Dorms, and I guess if you are a child you won't get how it's important for them to go home too.

Personally, I don't see why people thought it was childish, except the scene with the tricycle...and the fact they were on the wing of a plane...And Pepe singing opera...

But the Mob was more grown up, and I felt the cameo's all acted more realistically then normal, which was nice. Usually they act all important and like they don't want to be there.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I dunno even though they live there they could have been busy all the the time and hardly ever home off doing muppety things..so there is a chance that she don't see them that much even though they are her friends and had her heart set on the holidays being different...
It didn't seem like many of them were spending the holidays with their families from the looks of it...just normal getaways (I'm surprised Fozzie didn't say a single thing about his ma..I wonder if her puppet is okay? :frown:)...maybe its just that I have always lived in the hotter part of the US but I never understood leaving snow for sand on Christmas anyway :stick_out_tongue:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Again, a good point. As actors, I'm sure the Muppets are always rather busy. But at the same time, they seemed to just be hanging out a lot at the Boarding House and assume they must do the same at the apartment.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't see Pepe's fishes joke that way, but now I do -- thanks a lot! :big_grin:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I wondered about the Fish joke in that way, but decided they couldn't possibly have intended it to sound that bad :stick_out_tongue: I'm just going to work on imagining him sleeping on a camping trip or something under the sea :search:

Did anyone notice the bizare chemestry going on between Pepe and Claire's mom? "Any friend of...Pepe's...is a friend of mine..." "Hello Claire's maaamma!"

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't see it as even a joke I just think Pepe sleeps underwater :smile:.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Did anyone notice the bizare chemestry going on between Pepe and Claire's mom? "Any friend of...Pepe's...is a friend of mine..." "Hello Claire's maaamma!"
LOL ... yeah. As weirded out as Mom was by all the other Muppets ("put newspaper down"? can you GET more offensive to your neighbors?), she seems ... um ... perfectly cool with Pepe. More of that talk and I think young Claire might have a new daddy by New Years. ROFL....