Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I thought the mother's line about Crazy Harry wasn't too far away from what other guests stars of Muppet Show might have said in the past. I also thought the Nathan Lane thing seemed too childish. I have seen other specials where adults believe in Santa, but in a more mature way and it works much better. Kids are kids and adults shouldn't be grabbing that childlike attention away from them.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Honestly, I thought the mother's line about Crazy Harry wasn't too far away from what other guests stars of Muppet Show might have said in the past. I also thought the Nathan Lane thing seemed too childish. I have seen other specials where adults believe in Santa, but in a more mature way and it works much better. Kids are kids and adults shouldn't be grabbing that childlike attention away from them.
That's a little strong, just because an adult is childlike does not mean that he is stealing anything in the way of attention from a child at all :\. There is more than enough youthful wonder coming from the human soul for both IMHO...If there wasn't we would not have adult toy makers, cartoon writers, or even the muppets in the long run (who all on some level have never let that wonder or mindset die)...
I really don't see what makes seeing an adult fully letting their inner child play and finally making peace with the Christmas he never had so awful, or even that the muppets live in a version of our world were once a year all the adults believe in a real flesh and blood Santa with a child-like faith..I find it very sweet and comforting actually, and not something that takes away anything from the muppets themselves :smile:. I wish our world was like that :smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's a little strong, just because an adult is childlike does not mean that he is stealing anything in the way of attention from a child at all :\. There is more than enough youthful wonder coming from the human soul for both IMHO...If there wasn't we would not have adult toy makers, cartoon writers, or even the muppets in the long run (who all on some level have never let that wonder or mindset die)...
I really don't see what makes seeing an adult fully letting their inner child play and finally making peace with the Christmas he never had so awful
Well again, it's how you do it. I should have said it came across to me as too childish (which has negative connotation) and not childlike (positive connotation). :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I really don't see what makes seeing an adult fully letting their inner child play and finally making peace with the Christmas he never had so awful, or even that the muppets live in a version of our world were once a year all the adults believe in a real flesh and blood Santa with a child-like faith..I find it very sweet and comforting actually :smile:. I wish our world was like that :smile:.
I agree full-heartedly. I think it's great to see adults acting like kids once in a while. I think that things like the Muppets and Disney really bring out the kid in all of us. And as for it being to extreme... I personally don't think so and that's all that matters to me. Though everyone should have their own opinions, I don't think it's wrong to have such lighthearted "silly" moments on TV, especially this time of the year.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well again, it's how you do it. I should have said it came across to me as too childish (which has negative connotation) and not childlike (positive connotation). :smile:
And to me it doesn't, it's just sweet. But I'm not getting into the old childish vs. childlike debate we had before as to me there is no negative connotation in how I see it :smile:. Because I have that mindset..and collect toys to boot... so of course I am bias and will support it to my last dying breath:wink:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And to me it doesn't, it's just sweet. But I'm not getting into the old childish vs. childlike debate we had before as to me there is no negative connotation in how I see it :smile:. Because I have that mindset..and collect toys to boot... so of course I am bias and will support it to my last dying breath:wink:.
Well I think you have the childlike qualities, which is good. Childish rarely has good connotations in the English language. It indicates a lack of responsibility and usefulness to the world, it just means ridiculous. Childlike is a wonderful thing that I would never object to in a Christmas special. :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well I think you have the childlike qualities, which is good. Childish rarely has good connotations in the English language. It indicates a lack of responsibility and usefulness to the world, it just means ridiculous. Childlike is a wonderful thing that I would never object to in a Christmas special. :wink:
I would never link child-anything to a bad meaning though, as the whole idea just seems like a put down, an adult type of name calling rather than a label of any solid thing, like the words selfish or greedy would be. The whole idea of having a mindset where if someone doesn't act a certain way they are not useful to the world in any way what so ever just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it is because I am disabled and it hits too close to home in my memories of bullies, I dunno. But if people mean someone is irresponsible they should just say that IMHO, not link it to (what I think is) a mainly positive outlook :excited:

*stops posting on the off topic but still on topic in a way topic as she would actually be stubborn and bullheaded enough to go on with it for pages:coy:*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would never link child-anything to a bad meaning though
Well it's not really saying child-anything is bad. Childish is meant as almost a distortion of childlike. The two do not go together. That's what I saw in this Christmas special a little bit (to keep it on topic :wink: ).

And I was defending children before when I said kids should be allowed to be kids first. So I wasn't linking bad to children at all. :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well it's not really saying child-anything is bad. Childish is meant as almost a distortion of childlike. The two do not go together. That's what I saw in this Christmas special a little bit (to keep it on topic :wink: ).

And I was defending children before when I said kids should be allowed to be kids first. So I wasn't linking bad to children at all. :wink:
And I was just saying that adults having very strong happy inner children that like to ring shiny bells wasn't robbing real children at the same time of anything what so ever, so we are peachy keen:excited:. Who doesn't love their fun wacky Uncle or Aunt So and So that likes to play as much as they do and is a big kid? I'm sure the little boy or girl the character ended up giving the bike to was very happy :3. Or maybe he kept it and a family members child gets to play with it whenever they are visiting...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And I was just saying that adults having very strong happy inner children that like to ring shiny bells wasn't robbing real children at the same time of anything what so ever, so we are peachy keen:excited:.
Right absolutely, that is childlike. It's a wonderful thing. What I saw in the special was a little too childish (again, the distortion of childlike). :wink: