Concern about Rowlf

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

First of all I'm glad Rowlf was mentioned on youtube and Letters To Santa. But I'm very concerned about him. Since he got a new voice, a lot of people were saying it sounded like Hobo the Bear. And I'm kind of concerned about it if Rowlf will ever get mention a lot in the upcoming new Muppet Movie and what if they put Bobo the Bear? I like Bobo the Bear, he's a funny bear. I'm just concerned about Rowlf's new voice and future appearance. Sorry, I just had a funny feeling about him, because he's one of my favorites. You know.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
Indeed, I agree to a point. Rowlf has always been one of my favorites, but personally, I almost hope he gets regulated to small bit parts here and there ratehr than being a main Muppet as he was in the past. I only say this because Rowlf is so entwinded with Jim Henson. To me, when Jim died, Rowlf really did too. I know most people say the Kermit was Jim's main character, and that's true, but you simply couldn't have the Muppets without Kermit. I think the absence of Rowlf as a prominent character is simple because no one will ever be able to truly capture him the way Jim Henson did. Perhaps I may be reading a bit too much into it, but to me, pushinf Rowlf into the background a bit was kind of the Henson company's (and now Disney's) way of saying that while Jim Henson may not be with us any longer, his presence is still there.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I have been going back and forth on this in my mind, and I finaly feel good about Bill giveing Rowlf his voice. I've been playing Muppet Party Crusie, where Rowlf has a preety big role in the game. At fist i thought that everything about Rowlf in the game was off. The voice, his personality, everything. Then i started re wactching the Muppet Show Season One, and realized that I was wrong. Rowlf should be back in the main light and Bill should do his voice.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Well I have been going back and forth on this in my mind, and I finaly feel good about Bill giveing Rowlf his voice. I've been playing Muppet Party Crusie, where Rowlf has a preety big role in the game. At fist i thought that everything about Rowlf in the game was off. The voice, his personality, everything. Then i started re wactching the Muppet Show Season One, and realized that I was wrong. Rowlf should be back in the main light and Bill should do his voice.
You're right. Let's hope he be the main Muppet on the new Muppet Movie.

turkishproverb

Reaction score
I'm glad to see the return of Rowlf's speech, but I think he needs to be eased in again, not forced to the forefront now that he has it. Personally, I'm glad to hear him speak again, he's been silent most of my life. I didn't notice the similarity to Bobo that much, but it's something to watch for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lemme just say, the 2 things I always hear are that Rowlf should be back in the spotlight, but then he doesn't seem "right." And I feel that both concerns completely contradict each other. I think Bill is doing a good job, and the reason why he's not quite "there" with Rowlf yet is that he really hasn't had a chance to perform Rowlf for an extended period of time. I mean, other than an appearance in a now long lost "Making the Video" special about that Weezer song that the Muppets were in, the Youtube short is the most I've heard of him in years. MFS and VMX both had him say one line... one or 2 syllables and even then it was obscured by other characters speaking at once.

I think that's why we haven't seen him much until recently... I agree, he was a character that was unique to Jim... even more so than Kermit and Ernie. And there will always be a subtlety that's lost when a character changes hands (especially after a long, long time). All I can say is we need to see more of him before he can really gel back to his original personality.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

First of all I'm glad Rowlf was mentioned on youtube and Letters To Santa. But I'm very concerned about him. Since he got a new voice, a lot of people were saying it sounded like Hobo the Bear. And I'm kind of concerned about it if Rowlf will ever get mention a lot in the upcoming new Muppet Movie and what if they put Bobo the Bear? I like Bobo the Bear, he's a funny bear. I'm just concerned about Rowlf's new voice and future appearance. Sorry, I just had a funny feeling about him, because he's one of my favorites. You know.
:embarrassed:: Spare some change? :coy:

Eh, fans shouldn't be gripeing about this. Just be happy good ol Rowlf is back.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Lemme just say, the 2 things I always hear are that Rowlf should be back in the spotlight, but then he doesn't seem "right." And I feel that both concerns completely contradict each other. I think Bill is doing a good job, and the reason why he's not quite "there" with Rowlf yet is that he really hasn't had a chance to perform Rowlf for an extended period of time. I mean, other than an appearance in a now long lost "Making the Video" special about that Weezer song that the Muppets were in, the Youtube short is the most I've heard of him in years. MFS and VMX both had him say one line... one or 2 syllables and even then it was obscured by other characters speaking at once.

I think that's why we haven't seen him much until recently... I agree, he was a character that was unique to Jim... even more so than Kermit and Ernie. And there will always be a subtlety that's lost when a character changes hands (especially after a long, long time). All I can say is we need to see more of him before he can really gel back to his original personality.
I understand your concern, but remember, we have to be thankful that they brought back the cutest talkin' brown dog, Rowlf. I think Bill did a great job and who cares if he sounded like Bobo.