Your Thoughts: Street Gang – The Complete History of Sesame Street

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I can't wait to finish this book! I'm on page 123 (yes, that is a conicidence)... I can't wait to actually get to the 'meat' of the book. The prepatory/ research of the story in intriguing, but I WANT MUPPETS!

SS is more than just the muppets and personally I think this book's for people who are mature and willing to learn about SS's history without getting hysterical about not comming across anything on the muppets right away.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To say nothing of his calling David Rudman "that (seven letters, starts with A) from Chicago." The book was right; Richard did have a weird way of expressing his love and concern for his fellow cast members from time to time.

About the big purple menace; it's true, Barney's an insult to children's intelligence. It's true that a lot of us have issues with Elmo, but Barney is big and patronizing, while SS is hip and witty.

I remember, back in first grade, one morning our teacher gave us - I kid you not - math worksheets that had Barney on them. Don't ask me why, because 16-17 years later I still don't know. But I thought it was awfully demeaning; I remember thinking, "What is this? Barney's for little kids."
Elmo does have a sly wit. I wish they'd go with that shade of him more than he appears in Elmo's World. Those segments are unwatchable.

I keep trying to make a dent into the book, but customers keep coming in. :grouchy:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I can't wait to finish this book! I'm on page 123 (yes, that is a conicidence)... I can't wait to actually get to the 'meat' of the book. The prepatory/ research of the story in intriguing, but I WANT MUPPETS!

I'll have plenty more to say once I'm done reading. If only school wasn't taking up so much of my time!
Yeah,It was fun reading the preparation stuff. But for me I couldn't wait to get to when the show actually started and seeing all it want thouhg, all the changes that happened, why they happed and what was the cause of it all over the years, and how it got to where it was today. But it really all is so interesting and I just love when the author just delves deeper into things!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Was it just me or did anyone notice that there was no mentioning of Rosita during the entire book ? :frown:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I noticed the Rosita thing, too. No mention of her in the book either.

SS is more than just the muppets and personally I think this book's for people who are mature and willing to learn about SS's history without getting hysterical about not comming across anything on the muppets right away.
Well, technically, if it weren't for the Muppets, Sesame Street wouldn't be on television anymore. (As much as ya may love the humans on the show, who wants a doll of Gordon? :smirk:) The book wasn't written with the Muppets as the main focus, you're right in that. But the Muppets are a huge part of the show, so it was a little disappointing to see more time wasn't devoted to them (though, again, I'm extrememly happy with the focus on the creators of the show).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I noticed the Rosita thing, too. No mention of her in the book either.

Well, technically, if it weren't for the Muppets, Sesame Street wouldn't be on television anymore. (As much as ya may love the humans on the show, who wants a doll of Gordon? :smirk:) The book wasn't written with the Muppets as the main focus, you're right in that. But the Muppets are a huge part of the show, so it was a little disappointing to see more time wasn't devoted to them (though, again, I'm extrememly happy with the focus on the creators of the show).
I only enjoyed the Muppet bits on Sesame Street as a kid. To be honest - the pinball animation used to induce a panic attack. I don't know why! To be honest, I was only keen on a few of the live action people (Mr. Hooper was definitely among those on that list). The live action kid films never did interest me unless attached to a Muppet character. Without the Muppets there is no Sesame Street. The show had this magic formula that shouldn't have ever been tampered with. Still trying to get into the book, but I haven't had the time to really devote to it yet. Hopefully today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gads, I'm chewing my bottom lip up reading some of this... I must, MUST check this book out when I get the time.. and I'm not too big on reading, either... so it says something.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:search: First error I've noted so far in the book is citing the $40M domestic grossing Dark Crystal as the box office bomb that plagued Jim when actually they meant the $12M domestic grossing Labyrinth. Just a note. It's a great read when I can actually get to it - paragraph-by-paragraph right now. :insatiable:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I admit as a Muppet fan I'd be mostly looking for information on them in the book. Still, it's important to know where your interests came from, their origins and all. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I admit as a Muppet fan I'd be mostly looking for information on them in the book. Still, it's important to know where your interests came from, their origins and all. :smile:
Oh, some of the people behind the scenes are was entertaining people. They have great senses of humor that affected the type of humor that this show is famous for. :smile: