Rumor: Avenue Q to end on Broadway

jcnegron

Reaction score
I saw a report last sunday (maybe a rebroadcast of an earlier report) on CNN about the economy and Broadway: They talked about the shows expecting to close soon, however in contrast, There was an interview with one of the executive producers of Avenue Q who said that Avenue Q will likely continue because it doesn't have such high costs as many of the other productions.

Jinx

Reaction score
NooooooOOooooOOooooooOooooo0ooo0o00o0o0oO0Ooooooooo. That sucks.
Ummm, what sucks? That your read and believe the rumor, or that there are several posts here indicating that the show is NOT closing? Posts siting the producers, stage managers, and even the creator of the Avenue Q puppets, who would actually know if the show was closing.

This is a good illustration of just how dangerous it can be to start/spread rumors that cannot be substantiated!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Perhaps the radio program you heard was merely someone's speculation.

There are no plans at this time to close the Broadway production of AVENUE Q.

The London production is scheduled to close in March but will likely tour the UK thereafter.

The current American national tour is scheduled to close in May, but a non-Equity (non-union) national tour is planned in the fall.

Rick Lyon
Puppet Designer, AVENUE Q

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider Boston for the next tour. I sadly missed it the first time. :wisdom:

wes

Reaction score
That sucks, i think the Economy thing is crazy.

I think that the Goverment invented it. to scare people. and to shut down aveune Q

Just my two scents.

Jinx

Reaction score
HELLO? Is anyone doing ANY kind of research on this unfounded RUMOR?

Come on, let's stop crying about something that has not even been announced! And does appear likely to do so any time soon. Their lyric contest is coming to a head very soon, which would indicate that they plan on running for a while yet. Also, as has been pointed out before, Avenue Q does not have as much overhead as many other shows, and it has been doing respectable numbers at the box office. Hardly a broadway death-knell!

So stop grieving over information that has not been substantiated! RESEARCH a rumor before giving it ANY creedence.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think the sad thing is that alot of the shows that actually are ending only opened in the last year or so. They really haven't had much of a chance. Boeing Boeing, for instance, is a revival of a really good, classic play (and the revival's even a Tony winner) and it's sad that it has to close so soon.

Jinx

Reaction score
This is not at all an unusual thing. Very often a critically acclaimed show will fail to get a good footing to run.

A number of the shows this season that are closing were only limited runs to begin with. In the case of Boeing, Boeing the producers made their money back (which is always good news) about three months ago, but much of their draw was the "star power" names in the show. They chose to close when most of their contracts expire, rather than trying to chance it without the name draw. But don't cry for them. They'll be launching a 45-city tour this fall.

Then don't forget about stock/amateur rights to produce the show subsequently.

We tend to blame the current economic situation, but truthfully, this is just business as usual on broadway. Shows open, shows close. There are always producers waiting for a house to become available to bring in the next new show.