Article about Season 40's research

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Anyway... Adam Sandler's guessed appearance looks really promising! Can't wait for it! :smile:

It's about time they brought in Sandler on to the show. I mean that would be funny to see him mix it up with the SS muppets. :insatiable:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
*lol* Well, it wasn't my idea :coy:. I only hope because of that little ones don't mix up helping the earth with actually being green (the color). I know that would be easy to do at that age...
i wouldn't worry about kids taking it too literally--they seem to get the liking-yourself-the-way-you-are meaning out of the bein' green song without tying it to the specific color. kids are pretty perceptive about the more intangible lessons of ss, and ss is pretty good at getting those messages across.

speaking of bein' green, have they done a version of that song about the environment yet? it's such an obvious reference. i've seen the it on non-official kermit merchandise, but i haven't seen it from the show... but it would totally work sung by a tree or something--if part of the environment sang it, it could add the environmental message and still retain the self-esteem message.

Redsonga

Reaction score
i wouldn't worry about kids taking it too literally--they seem to get the liking-yourself-the-way-you-are meaning out of the bein' green song without tying it to the specific color. kids are pretty perceptive about the more intangible lessons of ss, and ss is pretty good at getting those messages across.

speaking of bein' green, have they done a version of that song about the environment yet? it's such an obvious reference. i've seen the it on non-official kermit merchandise, but i haven't seen it from the show... but it would totally work sung by a tree or something--if part of the environment sang it, it could add the environmental message and still retain the self-esteem message.
Oh, no no, I did'nt mean mixing up the song meaning with the color green, I meant mixing up Elmo's turning green with the idea of 'being green' to help the earth. In Kermit's case he always was green so it's not like he ever changed himself to get a message across and...*lol* Annnyway:coy:...
Hmm...I wonder if they are going to say anything about global warming:wisdom:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Oh, no no, I did'nt mean mixing up the song meaning with the color green, I meant mixing up Elmo's turning green with the idea of 'being green' to help the earth. In Kermit's case he always was green so it's not like he ever changed himself to get a message across and...*lol* Annnyway:coy:...
Hmm...I wonder if they are going to say anything about global warming:wisdom:
yeah, i know--i meant that they don't confuse the bigger message of the song with the superficial one that kermit is actually green, so i bet they won't confuse the message of environmental awareness with the joke of elmo turning green either. i mean, it is supposedly another one of abby's tricks gone wrong that turns elmo green, so i would guess that it's written so kids will understand that it's a joke, and that the reason it's funny is because of the metaphor.

i don't know whether they'd put it in terms of global warming...they said at the made in ny panel that it was challenging to make the environment relevant to kids because they have so little control over it. how do you make a 4 year old understand the importance of the environment and be empowered to help out? it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Redsonga

Reaction score
yeah, i know--i meant that they don't confuse the bigger message of the song with the superficial one that kermit is actually green, so i bet they won't confuse the message of environmental awareness with the joke of elmo turning green either. i mean, it is supposedly another one of abby's tricks gone wrong that turns elmo green, so i would guess that it's written so kids will understand that it's a joke, and that the reason it's funny is because of the metaphor.

i don't know whether they'd put it in terms of global warming...they said at the made in ny panel that it was challenging to make the environment relevant to kids because they have so little control over it. how do you make a 4 year old understand the importance of the environment and be empowered to help out? it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.
With songs and movies about forest animals and rainforest fairies and rare golden eagles:excited:!..Oops..never mind...But putting it into a fairy tale type story always worked with me .. I don't think that much has changed...This would not be the first time SST has had this theme after all, I'm sure they know what they're doing (or would if they just trust themselves)..Sometimes, I think that they research things a little too much now and don't just trust the past years of all they did right for ideas:coy:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
With songs and movies about forest animals and rainforest fairies and rare golden eagles:excited:!..Oops..never mind...But putting it into a fairy tale type story always worked with me .. I don't think that much has changed...This would not be the first time SST has had this theme after all, I'm sure they know what they're doing (or would if they just trust themselves)..Sometimes, I think that they research things a little too much now and don't just trust the past years of all they did right for ideas
yay, fairy tales! ss has so many cute ones!

you're right they have done lots of environmental stuff already--how could i forget one of my all time favorite clips from childhood, love the ocean. do what surfin' monsters do! sometimes i overanalyze, too :embarrassed: & i gotta be reminded that that's what annoys me about ss's education dept...

this theme has lots of grouch potential, i hope we see a lot of :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if it ever occurred to them to go back and watch some episodes back in the 90's, when they first started looking at an environmental focus... I mean, we had all these skits and songs about how littering was bad, and so wasn't wasting water.... and they even had some short films about recycling. (I bet we'll see a LOT of those reused) Who could forget "Are you a Wasteroon?" Heck, they even did this in the late 70's/ early 80's with "The Garbageman Blues"

They can do it. I know they can. All you really have to tell a child that age is not to litter and help recycle. They'll listen if asked nicely.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
i always disliked the wasteroon song :grouchy: but i don't waste water & garbageman blues were two of my favorites! i've been singing them for 20 years! :smile: