Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well I found a copy of issue 9. I haven't read the thing yet, just glanced through it. It's interesting how issues 9 and 10 are two in a row to feature guest stars.

I wonder if this storyarc will include any existing monsters besides Sweetums (who doesn't seem to do much anyway). They seem to focus more on old horror movie motifs, and most of the monsters are original designs. Hopefully we'll at least get appearances by Uncle Deadley and maybe Doglion.

beaker

Reaction score
I love how Toys R Us now carries every single Boom Kids issue.
Definitely loving the Halloween arc issue. I keep thinking, "where has Langridge been all these years"; as I am just thoroughly amused and delighted my his very distinct artwork and nuances. I know some may take issue with his taking liberty on some of the characters scale/look, but I think it works(even his beaker)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I found a copy of issue 9. I haven't read the thing yet, just glanced through it. It's interesting how issues 9 and 10 are two in a row to feature guest stars.
Issue 9 is definitely salvaged from the Cleopatra guest star issue that was part of an arc that was never made. I like how unlike the other guests (even Howlin' Jack in issue 10), she actually looks different from the rest of the Muppets. Presumably the other guests were to look that way also. The last issue of the Family Reunion arc reused covers from the Sherlock Holmes issue that was never made.

10 really felt more like a Muppet show than ever before. Nothing says muppet show like off kilter musical numbers. I nearly died when Beaker ran out on stage at one point, it was so funny.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I got issue 10 today. I wasn't too excited about the Muppet Mash storyarc at first, but it seems like each issue is better than the previous one. Still, we've gone through three issues of this storyarc, and Sweetums has been the only recurring monster to appear in them. A few original monster designs have been used, but I wish more of the classic monsters would be used. We've seen some of them in past issues before this storyarc... Did Roger Langridge forget that there were other monsters besides Sweetums? Still, there's one more issue....

I wonder if the "Link Hogthrob, Monster Smasher" sketches will have any kind of payoff next time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone know if any of the Muppet comics are coming out this week or if they're coming next week or something? Boom hasn't submitted anything to comic resources (possibly due to NY comic con) and I like to keep a jump ahead at least a day in advance... my store somehow runs out of them if I wait until the weekend.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Muppet Sherlock Holmes #2 is listed on Boom's site as coming out on 10/13.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mentioned this slightly on the review that will be posted Monday. I bought a vintage Dudley Do-Right comic that basically gave me nothing but the highest of respects and admiration of what Boom, Roger Langridge and all the rest are doing with these comics.

I keep forgetting how much those old timey TV/Cartoon/Movie comics really... well... stunk.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, all four "Muppet Mash" issues have been released. Does the fourth one have any recurring monsters besides Animal and Sweetums?

It seems like for a horror-themed storyarc we haven't been seeing the other monsters, but they had popped up quite a bit in previous storyarcs. And last night I had a dream that the enxt issue came out and it actually featured Thog and one of the other monsters (that would be very ironic, for a horror-themed storyarc to NOT include them, but for them be in the issues before and after).

I don't think I've said this on the forum before, but before the first Muppet Show Comic Book issue came out I e-mailed Roger Langridge, and mentioned some characters who I wanted to see in the comic books. And ironically it seems like NONE of them have made it to The Muppet Show Comic Book yet (we've seen most of them in the "Muppet Classics" comics). I mentioned Lips, Gaffer, Marvin Suggs, Doglion, Droop, and Fleet Scribbler. While I can possibly see Roger Langridge having trouble including some of them in the comic book (and even then, he could just put them in the audience, or in the two-page spreads), I am surprised that Marvin Suggs hasn't appeared in the comic yet. I would have expected him to have been worked in somehow by now. I'm also surprised by Doglion's absense. He seems to have been used quite a bit on The Muppet Show (and post-TMS productions), and we have seen Thog, The Mutations, and Mean Mama in the comic. And it's a shame that Gaffer still hasn't laid on the ledge backstage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't really have all that much room for it in my review, but as much as I liked the Monster mash arc, it wasn't Monstery enough. And I swear that the Calistoga Cleo bit was the Cleopatra guest star issue with a few minor alterations. And 2 of the other monsters turned out to be misunderstandings. There were some great stories in the arc, but it just lacked a certain monsterousness to it. And there really should have been more Muppet Monsters in it as well. But that's about it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I liked issue 4. The arc got better with each issue (and I wasn't expecting it to be that great, even with the unfulfilled hope that it would feature many Muppet monsters besides Sweetums... Really, next time Roger Langridge gets interviewed by Tough Pigs I hope he's asked about the lack of known monsters).

And it seems like Langridge is trying to introduce a new kind of Muppet species: Poobs. They've appeared twice in this arc and were mentioned as alien creatures in Kermit's Story from the first storyarc. I liked Statler and Waldorf's "Who's on First"-like exchange regarding a poob named Hugh.