Do you feel bad for liking Sesame Street?

Redsonga

Reaction score
There are just some people you should not talk about it with IMHO. I don't tell certain people about my watching it, not because I'm ashamed, but because I know they are too one sided with hating certain things. At the same time I don't give what they say the time of day on the subject most of the time. The thing is, just because their view of the world is dark and jaded and has lost sight of the love for happy, carefree things like SST does not make what they say a 'reality' that anyone should be 'slapped' with :stick_out_tongue:.
I've known plenty of people who, because they have a supposedly 'normal' mind next to my learning disabled one, think that that makes what they think somehow magically better than my view of the world..It doesn't, not at all:excited:.
I'd much rather have my world (full of magic while I pay the bills and sings while I sit on the bus or in class, and writing stories in far off places), if that is what it is, than theirs in the 'real' world (which is pretty much so dull all they have to look forward to is working until they die, and passing that 'grow up when you're nine' mindset to their children):grouchy:

Well I think you're right, it is important to distinguish Television from real life. I think people misunderstand the purpose of art sometimes. Art is there to inspire us for our real lives, not to escape from real life.
I use it to escape, I always have..I don't think there is anything wrong with that, as the world as most people see it has never agreed with me. It keeps me sane :smile:. Of course I know it's not real but that does not effect how helpful it is for me...The world/most people is/are just so negative in such a way that it makes everything seem even worst than it is really (which I think is something that hurts the world more than a few more happy endings giving us hope).

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
There are just some people you should not talk about it with IMHO. I don't tell certain people about my watching it, not because I'm ashamed, but because I know they are too one sided with hating certain things. At the same time I don't give what they say the time of day on the subject most of the time. The thing is, just because their view of the world is dark and jaded and has lost sight of the love for happy, carefree things like SST does not make what they say a 'reality' that anyone should be 'slapped' with :stick_out_tongue:.
I've known plenty of people who, because they have a supposedly 'normal' mind next to my learning disabled one, think that that makes what they think somehow magically better than my view of the world..It doesn't, not at all.
I'd much rather have my world (full of magic while I pay the bills and sings while I sit on the bus or in class, and writing stories in far off places), if that is what it is, than theirs in the 'real' world (which is pretty much so dull all they have to look forward to is working until they die, and passing that 'grow up when you're nine' mindset to their children):grouchy:

I use it to escape, I always have..I don't think there is anything wrong with that, as the world as most people see it has never agreed with me. It keeps me sane :smile:. Of course I know it's not real but that does not effect how helpful it is for me...The world/most people is/are just so negative in such a way that it makes everything seem even worst than it is really (which I think is something that hurts the world more than a few more happy endings giving us hope).
I totally agree. I watch TV to no end, as long as I enjoy what's on. The funny thing is, I saw my brother teasing my sister about liking SST, and buying a plush Elmo and Big Bird, and I think it's stupid. I think he is a bit unaccepting of people, like, he thinks it would be weird if somebody was gay, how would that affect him. Same deal with my sister. How she liking SST possibly do anything to him.:smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing is, just because their view of the world is dark and jaded and has lost sight of the love for happy, carefree things like SST does not make what they say a 'reality' that anyone should be 'slapped' with :stick_out_tongue:.
Hey, I'm one of the darkest people you could meet if you get to really know me, but I'll be danged if I don't go to sleep in a room that looks like it belongs to a 10 year old. :shifty:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Then you haven't lost the love, and I'm sure you're not the sort of person to push darkness as 'the one true way of living life and anything else is crazy' :smile:.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Hey, I'm one of the darkest people you could meet if you get to really know me, but I'll be danged if I don't go to sleep in a room that looks like it belongs to a 10 year old. :shifty:
if there some reason why you must share that with everyone?

Redsonga

Reaction score
What's wrong with sharing it? We're friends here :smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
LOL, somebody once told me I had the "shopping list of a 12 year old" :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
LOL, somebody once told me I had the "shopping list of a 12 year old" :wink:
"Because now we can eat cookies whenever we want, darn it!"

Anyway isn't it better/more sane to feel bad about things that are actually...bad? I mean, we really aren't hurting ourselves or others. You can't get 2nd hand letter smoke from being near someone that watches SST:stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Anyway isn't it better/more sane to feel bad about things that are actually...bad?
Very good point, teens and 20 year olds nowadays also have drinking problems that aren't being taken seriously, because drinking is acceptable in the culture.