Least likeable Sesame character?

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I don't think Mr. Handford had much of an impact on me as a kid either; I don't remember missing him, or wondering what happened to him when Alan took over..
I never cared for Mr. Handford as a kid, either- he always seemed to be in a bad mood.

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I never cared for Mr. Handford as a kid, either- he always seemed to be in a bad mood.
I have to admit, I've never seen a Sesame Street episode with Mr. Handford until I saw videos on YouTube. I also got the impression that he seemed cranky, quite a contrast to David or even Mr. Hooper.

I like Alan, he seems pretty cool. Why was it that it took so long for the shows creators to add Asian-Americans to the cast (I don't remember any adult Asian-American characters on the show when I was still watching). I think Celina might have been the first one added.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, there were actually two Mr. Handfords: the first portrayed by Leonard Jackson for his debut season, then David Langston Smyrl played him until 1998. Jackson's Mr. Handford was, indeed, generally depicted as kind of a cranky, grumpy old man, but then again, the character was supposedly a retired firefighter, and you know rescue workers have to be tough around the edges, and not let anything phase them. David L. Smyrl's Handford was a bit more mellow. Perhaps Mr. Handford was meant to be someone who is not exactly a "people person" (like the way we first got to know Shrek).

As for Asian-American characters, no, Celina was not the first, though she WAS before Alan. During the late 80s and early 90s, Lord Of The Nerds himself, Gette Watanabe was Hiroshi, the Japanese-American artist who could be see with his palette and easle just about anywhere on the street... even Oscar's can. But it is nice that they finally found a steady, regular Asian-American, and I've liked Alan very much since he came to the street over a decade ago.

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I did know about the two Mr. Handfords (just like the three Gordons).

I totally forgot about Hiroshi, he appeared when I was still watching and I remember the scene where Oscar's can was considered art by him. It's on YouTube.

Sorry to get off topic.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In order to identify them, the first Mr. Handford (Leonard Jackson) has darker hair, and glasses; the second (David L. Smyrl) has graying hair, and it thinner.

I think perhaps another reason why Mr. Handford, as a character in general, didn't quite work out was because he was essentially a grandfatherly figure, much like Mr. Hooper was, so it's like they were looking for someone a little too similar to the predecesor; the 40 Years book mentions that when came time to replace him, a lot of older, grandfatherly actors auditioned for the role of new Hooper's owner, but they decided to go in a different direction with someone younger, which is a wiser move.

I know SST was for depicting women in the workplace (even during times when it was frowned upon), I wonder if had we not had Mr. Handford, or even Alan, if they ever considered a woman to run Hooper's? David was Mr. Hooper's assistant, then when he was left the store, Gina became his assistant... with him gone, she probably could've taken over. *Shrug*

Convincing John

Reaction score
I thought the reason that Gina didn't run Hooper's herself was because she was running the daycare (after Lillian left), then studied to be a vet after that.

Probably my least favorite of the human cast would be the short-lived character of Mike in 1990-1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vhmy2bVvYg

He was a carnival guy in this clip, but his character was pretty one-dimensional. All he did was talk about how hungry he was.:smirk: Really...we already had someone to fill that role who did it 10 times better.:insatiable: Sorry, Mike.

I agree that Alan works well on the show. What I have seen of Chris, he does, too. I've seen that "Alan commercial" too, Snowth. Like a dummy, I forgot what it was for, but I know I've seen him in some commercial like that. It was in some office setting, right? Cubicles, paperwork, that type of stuff.

Convincing John

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I see what you mean about Mike. The 1990's seemed to be a hit or miss with new characters.

Remember the 'Around the Corner' era? They brought in Ruthie, Celina, and the couple with the little girl - Angela, Jamal, and Kayla. A few years later, the era ended because of too much confusion with viewers.

Savion, Lillian, and Carlo were there for a few years as well. I've only seen clips of these characters on YouTube.

I think the additions of Alan, Chris, and Leela have been positive for the most part.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Though I still think the quote "Furry Triangle feels good." is one of the best (and most easily misconstrued as something dirty) quotes in the show's history.
OMG!:eek: Where in the world are the SS writers' minds when they're writing these things? And yes it can be construed as something dirty! :embarrassed:
SS writers..IF you're reading this (probably not likely,but just in case) bring yourself down to a 3 year old's level.OK..."Furry triangle feels good." sounds well & innocent to you. Now bring yourselves back up to your adult ages about a day later and read it again: "Furry triangle feels good." You'll probably think "Oh my goodness"(or you'll think some profanity) "What was I thinking?" These kids will be watching Sesame Street with an adult most probably. Or the adult will be in the next room. If the adult is in the next room you can bet that that TV will get switched to some other channel no thanks to that "Furry Triangle" bit. (My almost 4 year old niece doesn't watch SS anymore. No idea why. But I think my 18 month old nephew might. Not sure.) Either way I'm concerned for them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought the reason that Gina didn't run Hooper's herself was because she was running the daycare (after Lillian left), then studied to be a vet after that.
That was actually well after David left and Mr. Handford took over.

Actually, I have that episode on tape, it's from 1995: Gina takes over the daycare, while Carlo assumes Gina's old role as Mr. Handford's assistant, meanwhile, Big Bird rollerskates inbetween both locales to help them both with their new jobs.

It was after the ATC era that Gina began to study zoology to be a vet.