eFX Collectibles to produce Muppet Replicas

What Muppet Replica do you want the most?

• Rizzo the Rat

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • Miss Piggy

Votes: 79 25.0%
  • Pepe the King Prawn

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • Fozzie Bear

Votes: 151 47.8%

• Total voters

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I own two of the Star Wars ship replicas and let me tell you, the detail is incredible, also, they are made ouf metal and abs plastic with internal armature for sturdiness, and lighting to boot. They where scanned and researched t find the original model parts to make the model. They had the people who built the original models come in and help remaking the replica. To go through this much trouble for a model would be rediculas and a waste of time. To own one of these pieces, you would have to see them for yourself to realize how wonderful these pieces are to someones collection.

Here is my X-wing:

and my HUGE Falcon:

These look more than just model kits to me. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Real Wold Muppet Replica Skinny:

Most of us Muppet obsessed fans know how expensive it is to make a Muppet poser or puppet and they are higher quality and more nuanced than a stuffed animal, however these are not factory made. An authentic poser is created by puppet builders working with actual materials and official patterns. The MR/EFX posers are mass produced using one of these personally crafted posers as a reference. That's what should bring down the price from $1,000 or so to a few hundred.

It’s crazy that Terry Angus got Disney and MR on board to make these photo replicas in the first place. His work on them is phenomenal; however the mass production did shave off some very important edges that were crucial to maintain the quality of his original prototypes. These discrepancies included the forgetting to dye the eye shells, neglecting to employ the very special Henson pupil focus technique, some fabric and sculptural modifications to render the posers easier for mass production and some forgotten sizing issues on Kermit. I don’t know how MR will handle Rizzo in the real world of manufacturing, but I’m not pre-ordering one until I see what he’s actually going to look like. These are inherently commercial replicas and cannot nor never will be real authentic ones. Of course the price should reflect that. So let's knock off any of that financial talk in saying that if the price is too high for past MR customers than this product isn't for them.

Muppet replicas were a difficult sell even at a great price point and exposure, and this is Gonzo, Kermit and Animal we’re talking about. I’m not sure how Rizzo will fare being a lesser popular character and over double Kermit’s original SRP. I’ve said it before – it’s disrespectful for other fans here or EFX representatives to dismiss those of us who supported the expensive but more affordable MR line because this new price is too high for us. That kind of attitude can stain a particular license’s collectible prospects with the public and I don’t think anyone here really intends to say that.

In the end it’s about what people can pay, how that covers manufacturing costs/profits and how the product reflects on the Muppet brand.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Okay. I'm out. You won. There's absolutely no difference between a model kit or a stuffed animal than a replica. You're right. What could I have possibly been thinking?

I was saving up for the Rizzo, but now I think I'll just run over to Hollywood Studios, pick up a $10.95 6" stuffed Rizzo doll and set him on my display next to my MR Kermit, Animal and Gonzo. After all, there's no difference.

The (biggest) thing you're missing is, yes, the muppet replicas are just big stuffed animals – with well-designed armatures, designed from the same patterns as the originals, with the same materials, hinged mouths, eyes, etc., massive amounts of research and development costs to ensure accuracy, and care given in production to assure they remain accurate and of the highest quality.

Guess what? If you had a stuffed animal that was all of those things, it would cost $400+ at retail!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I’ve said it before – it’s disrespectful for other fans here or EFX representatives to dismiss those of us who supported the expensive but more affordable MR line because this new price is too high for us. That kind of attitude can stain a particular license’s collectible prospects with the public and I don’t think anyone here really intends to say that.

In the end it’s about what people can pay, how that covers manufacturing costs/profits and how the product reflects on the Muppet brand.
Look, I prefaced my comments by saying everyone should decide what they can afford and what they can't afford. I don't feel that was being disrespectful. It was just stating a fact.

As for MR, I loved Kermit, liked Animal and hated Gonzo so much, I didn't buy him. Had he been a couple hundred more and been more authentic, I would have bought him.

Still, we can't all afford to buy everything we want. I think I wrote this a long time ago - I wanted the large Enterprise that MR put out, but it was $1200 and I couldn't afford it.

Wanting something to be a certain price and the realities of business and making a profit are two different things. In the end, eFX will do what they think best to turn a profit and put out a product they are proud of. (And I am not a representative for them and don't speak to them and have no other knowledge, but that's just Business 101.)

:stick_out_tongue:

P.S. On the other topic currently on this thread - Muppet Caper's photos of the Millennium Falcon are nice, but they don't do it justice. In person, it is an absolutely gorgeous piece that you would never in a millennium mistake for a model kit. The difference is night and day, my friend. Night and day.

Andibcool

Reaction score
I own two of the Star Wars ship replicas and let me tell you, the detail is incredible, also, they are made ouf metal and abs plastic with internal armature for sturdiness, and lighting to boot. They where scanned and researched t find the original model parts to make the model. They had the people who built the original models come in and help remaking the replica. To go through this much trouble for a model would be rediculas and a waste of time. To own one of these pieces, you would have to see them for yourself to realize how wonderful these pieces are to someones collection.

Here is my X-wing:

and my HUGE Falcon:

These look more than just model kits to me. :wink:
Thanks for the pics. Metal parts are sure more expensive, but to be honest i like the paintjob on the finished fine molds falcon more. Beside that ur look bigger how long is that baby or what size is it 1:72 too ?
As for the lightning its a nice feature but its also not hard to add that too. Well since yours using metal parts it sure has a higher valure. Would be nice to have booth and compare then to each other.

@Ignohippo
I never said that any stuffed doll will look like a photo muppet replica. If you want to read that fine think what you want.
Beside that Kermit and Gonzo had a lower retail price when they came out, only Animal was 400$ afaik.
I still think if u already have all that reserch done, have the original patterns and materials, all that replicas would be able to mass produce em and sell em at a cheaper price just because of higher quantitys.

@Frogboy
I dont want to calm down the great work Master replicas and EFX have done so far and there replicas. Sure thing i wont buy much of em but other ppl might.
Most of the items they offer are not worth the high amount of money to justify a buy for me.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Look, I prefaced my comments by saying everyone should decide what they can afford and what they can't afford. I don't feel that was being disrespectful. It was just stating a fact.

As for MR, I loved Kermit, liked Animal and hated Gonzo so much, I didn't buy him. Had he been a couple hundred more and been more authentic, I would have bought him.

Still, we can't all afford to buy everything we want. I think I wrote this a long time ago - I wanted the large Enterprise that MR put out, but it was $1200 and I couldn't afford it.

Wanting something to be a certain price and the realities of business and making a profit are two different things. In the end, eFX will do what they think best to turn a profit and put out a product they are proud of. (And I am not a representative for them and don't speak to them and have no other knowledge, but that's just Business 101.)

:stick_out_tongue:

P.S. On the other topic currently on this thread - Muppet Caper's photos of the Millennium Falcon are nice, but they don't do it justice. In person, it is an absolutely gorgeous piece that you would never in a millennium mistake for a model kit. The difference is night and day, my friend. Night and day.
Sure, it's true that you can't always get what you want. So are a lot of things. But stating that as you have is a little condescending and not very thoughtful to those who supported the line thus far. I'm sure EFX is trying to keep prices down and there are realities to that, but there's a gracious and kind way to say that and there's how it's been stated in your post.

I still think the sale of Rizzo in particular is going to be a tough one even if he came out under $400. He looks amazing and I want him and hope to afford him. The Muppet brand is not like Star Wars or traditional Disney fare. The Muppet fan and collector is a fickle one. A very fickle one. It will be interesting to see what happens.

PS - Gonzo, with some alterations, is actually much better than you'd think. I know how he's supposed to look and they got pretty close. He's my favorite Muppet and a great addition to any collection.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
@Frogboy
I dont want to calm down the great work Master replicas and EFX have done so far and there replicas. Sure thing i wont buy much of em but other ppl might.
Most of the items they offer are not worth the high amount of money to justify a buy for me.
I completely get that. :smile: In fact, that's a lot of what I hear in the shop all day. People like the MR posers but are uninterested in purchasing them even the much lower price they are now than the initial SRP. We get some really wealthy collectors in the store and tourists from all over the world that just pass on them even after seeing them dynamically posed in the shop. I have a feeling that Rizzo is going to suffer from sluggish sales, however the Reporter Kermit could really reboot the line over at EFX once all the Muppet projects start popping up.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Sure, it's true that you can't always get what you want. So are a lot of things. But stating that as you have is a little condescending and not very thoughtful to those who supported the line thus far. I'm sure EFX is trying to keep prices down and there are realities to that, but there's a gracious and kind way to say that and there's how it's been stated in your post.
I don't know how to say it any kinder. I guess I'm just a jerk. :grouchy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to say it any kinder. I guess I'm just a jerk. :grouchy:
Maybe you shouldn't say things like that at all. The reasons behind the statement are understood here, but that sentiment hasn't come off very well on the forum thus far. Frog knows how much I hold my tongue about touchy subjects around here. :wink: That's all I'm saying. And, no, you're not a jerk. :stick_out_tongue: