Has Big Bird lost his appeal?

mr3urious

Reaction score
That's possibly a reason. I guess that's why you see him perform Oscar on a more frequent basis... no large suit. But then again, Matt could perform the suit and Carol can just loop dialogue or something too. We can't rule that theory out, though.
But I thought he said playing Oscar was more physically demanding.

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
My guess on the less BB screentime is related to Carroll Spinney. I think he just has less ability to keep wearing that huge heavy Bird puppet. I am wondering if we are seeing him phased out of the limelight a bit to prepare for a full transition to another puppeteer and BB re-emergence as a star.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I'd say it has more to do with Caroll Spinney getting older than Big Bird's appeal to young children. The man can't stay young forever.
Yeah, i had always found that to be the reason too. But, that's what we have Matt Vogel for...

That's possibly a reason. I guess that's why you see him perform Oscar on a more frequent basis... no large suit. But then again, Matt could perform the suit and Carol can just loop dialogue or something too. We can't rule that theory out, though.
Exactly. There's really no excuse for BB lacking screentime when Mr. Spinney has a fill in if he's unable to do BB. And like you said, he could always loop the dialouge, like he did in Elmo's Christmas Countdown, for example.

My guess on the less BB screentime is related to Carroll Spinney. I think he just has less ability to keep wearing that huge heavy Bird puppet. I am wondering if we are seeing him phased out of the limelight a bit to prepare for a full transition to another puppeteer and BB re-emergence as a star.
I hope so. And I hope that re-emergence comes soon!

Drtooth

Reaction score
My guess on the less BB screentime is related to Carroll Spinney. I think he just has less ability to keep wearing that huge heavy Bird puppet.
I'd say it's more cumbersome than heavy... there are a lot of larger items that don't weigh that much, but are still hard to get a grip on because they're awkward to hold and carry....

I still think it has a lot to do with the writers and the lack of muppet skits.

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
I actually heard that it was heavy and that was a big factor for him not being able to film a lot consecutively. In addition to all the feathers, the "skin", the head, there is all of the video equipment inside that allows him to see himself on stage. He's 76 years old. Even though he looks great and sounds great, he's gotta be slowing down a bit.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Plus, the beak is made of Fiber glass... Adds more weight to the head...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually heard that it was heavy and that was a big factor for him not being able to film a lot consecutively. In addition to all the feathers, the "skin", the head, there is all of the video equipment inside that allows him to see himself on stage. He's 76 years old. Even though he looks great and sounds great, he's gotta be slowing down a bit.
Heh... I guess you're right. It must be one of those things that seems like no big deal when you're younger... but the older you get it actually DOES become a big deal.

But then again, we have a willing puppeteer to continue the role as well, Matt Vogel, so if it does get too hard for Carol, Matt can do it. So, while I can't discount that, it seems to be something else.

I wonder if the writers just find it easier writing for everyone but Big Bird.....

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Would any of Caroll's children, all grown-up of course, be willing to try to audition as Big Bird and/or Oscar the Grouch, if Spinney should ever pass away? That is, if any of his three children are male.

And, BTW, what are the names of his three children (this part goes out to all you Caroll Spinney experts out there)?

~Ben